Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Films rarely on tv and dvd

Old 04-10-2013, 02:07
lombard
Forum Member

I only really recognise BIB. It has some pretty horrific violence against women, as I recall. Difficult to justify showing in the current nervous climate, I guess.
Does it present the violence as a good thing?
lombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:37
Trsvis_Bickle
Inactive Member

Does it present the violence as a good thing?
No, of course not. That has not, however, stopped activists complaining about the portrayal of violence against women. The producers of The Fall came in for some aggro from the usual Guardianista lobby recently. OK it's just The Guardian but broadcasters seem to be increasingly nervous about any criticism, no matter how small the number of complainants.
Trsvis_Bickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:34
Grabid Rannies
Forum Member

Youre quite right - silly me But would still like a DVD release of this film or Russels Whicked Lady.
Iv'e just bought a DVD of The Medusa Touch starring Richard Burton, not seen this for years, paid 2.00 for it in a charity shop.
From confusing Roeg with Russell, to Russell with Winner! The Wicked Lady was directed by Mr Michael Winner, not Russell. That was shown on ITV a couple of times, though from what I've read on the net over the years it was the BBFC-cut video version. Fortunately I found the original, uncut pre-cert release in a Cash Generator and so I get to see Marina Sirtis having her dress whipped off by Faye Dunaway in full

Russell was actually mooted to do a Moll Flanders film in his final few years, but it never came to pass.
Grabid Rannies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:46
Syntax Error
Forum Member

Star Wars (1977) - You don't get the see that anymore. They only ever tend to show the remastered version from 1997 where George Lucas went back in & put in monsters where there were previously people & spruced up the special effects etc.
Syntax Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 18:09
Virgil Tracy
Forum Member

Never see any versions of The Blob on tv. Not sure if the new version has ever been shown (Kevin Dillon version)
the remake has been on , long time ago tho .
Virgil Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote