Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Films rarely on tv and dvd

Old 15-07-2013, 22:09
mal2pool
Forum Member

There was a season of Edgar Allen Poe horrors on bbc2 yonks ago. They neverseem to be on anymore, havent seen them since. The Fall Of The House of Usher was one i remember
mal2pool is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 18-07-2013, 01:48
Corky Duke
Forum Member

Not seen Major League on tv for a long time, one of the funniest films even if you don't like baseball.

This is one of the best scenes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFrl4U4eIJU
Corky Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 23:07
mike65
Forum Member

Movies4Men seem to landed a job lot of British B pictures/quota quickies - The Hand was on last week, this week its Ghost Ship with the gorgeous Hazel Court.

Film 4 came up with a largely forgotten John Wayne film the other day - The Shepherd of the Hills 1941, a beautiful colour print it was too. The scene with the cheque rammed home just how backward the Ozarks were.
mike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 14:13
dont_be_hasty
Forum Member

Not seen Major League on tv for a long time, one of the funniest films even if you don't like baseball.

This is one of the best scenes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFrl4U4eIJU
I've actually never seen this film. But i do remember seeing Major League: Back to the Minors. Think it was the 3rd one.
dont_be_hasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 13:13
Orangemaid
Forum Member

A Kiss Before Dying is rarely on tv ( Matt Dillon and Sean Young) good psychological thriller
Orangemaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 14:14
andy1231
Forum Member

Castaway - the Ken Russell film with Oliver Reed released on video but no DVD
andy1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 14:44
Gulftastic
Forum Member

Castaway - the Ken Russell film with Oliver Reed released on video but no DVD
It did do the rounds on one of the free to air movie channels last year.

And it's not 'the Ken Russel film with Oliver Reed', it's 'the Nic Roeg film with naked Amanda Donohoe'.

Gulftastic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 23:01
Orangemaid
Forum Member

I think it's about time channel 5 or film 4 shows us The Human Centipede...i seen it when it came out, but would love to watch it on a free view channel ..maybe they show it soon fingers crossed
Old 29-09-2013, 10:25
CBFreak
Forum Member

I think it's about time channel 5 or film 4 shows us The Human Centipede...i seen it when it came out, but would love to watch it on a free view channel ..maybe they show it soon fingers crossed
I thick Film4 showed it once or twice. I certainly remember watching it on tv when it was still fairly new and not quite notorious stage.
CBFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 10:46
Grabid Rannies
Forum Member

Talking of Ken Russell, his films are criminally neglected on TV. Excepting Billion Dollar Brain and Women In Love (which a few years back both seemed to be on every six months), his 1970 to 1991 canon of incredible films suffers from severe TV and DVD neglect (apart from Tommy, which has been shown a fair few times and is easy to pick up on DVD).

Going through some VHS tapes yesterday it struck me that the very good 1987 thriller The House On Carroll Street is now very obscure (I have it on a recording with Betty Grable's glorious Coney Island). It's quite surreal to think that mainstream cinematic releases from barely two decades ago can have now practically sunk without trace.
Grabid Rannies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 16:26
Cheap Thrills
Inactive Member

I haven't seen these on TV for a while:

D.A.R.Y.L.
Harold & Maude
Shy People
Heavy
Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon
The Sterile Cuckoo
Looking for Mr. Goodbar
Chicago Cab
Cheap Thrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 16:36
JoJoJay
Forum Member

Talking of Ken Russell, his films are criminally neglected on TV. Excepting Billion Dollar Brain and Women In Love (which a few years back both seemed to be on every six months), his 1970 to 1991 canon of incredible films suffers from severe TV and DVD neglect (apart from Tommy, which has been shown a fair few times and is easy to pick up on DVD).

Going through some VHS tapes yesterday it struck me that the very good 1987 thriller The House On Carroll Street is now very obscure (I have it on a recording with Betty Grable's glorious Coney Island). It's quite surreal to think that mainstream cinematic releases from barely two decades ago can have now practically sunk without trace.
'Lady Sings the Blues' with Diana Ross - just saying recently I'd love to see this again.
JoJoJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 17:15
koantemplation
Forum Member

D.A.R.Y.L.
Is on More > Movies a lot.
koantemplation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 20:49
intruder2k
Forum Member

I thick Film4 showed it once or twice. I certainly remember watching it on tv when it was still fairly new and not quite notorious stage.
Nope, Human Centipede hasn't been on freeview yet, although I think the Horror Channel showed it to ride the wave of controversy.
intruder2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 21:37
Orangemaid
Forum Member

Nope, Human Centipede hasn't been on freeview yet, although I think the Horror Channel showed it to ride the wave of controversy.
i would have recorded it if HC was on free view..i always looking for it in tv book ..Yea it been on Horror Channel
Old 29-09-2013, 21:55
Fairyprincess0
Forum Member

Photographing faries, an excellent British film. Never been on DVD. Rarely on bbc2.....
Fairyprincess0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 22:07
Cheap Thrills
Inactive Member

Is on More > Movies a lot.
I'd never heard of that channel until now. I'll check the schedule to see if D.A.R.Y.L. is on soon.
Cheap Thrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 17:46
lombard
Forum Member

There's a Canadian comedy from 1997 called 'The Wrong Guy'.I saw it about 10 or 11 years ago on BBC2.The film has never been released over here in dvd.It's only available on region 1.
I probably watched the same screening (I think it was on a Saturday night) and kept looking for it for years afterwards. Downloaded it in the end.
lombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:17
mal2pool
Forum Member

Never see any versions of The Blob on tv. Not sure if the new version has ever been shown (Kevin Dillon version)
mal2pool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 20:04
Gulftastic
Forum Member

Never see any versions of The Blob on tv. Not sure if the new version has ever been shown (Kevin Dillon version)
I don't remember ever seeing the Kevin Dillon version either. I remember quite enjoying it at the pictures.

The original is rarely shown, but I definitely saw it on TV about 30 years ago.
Gulftastic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 20:16
sancheeez
Forum Member

Sole Survivor

Really hard to get a copy of this one. I have one but it's ripped from a VHS copy of when it was aired last on TV a couple of decades ago.

Shame. It's a great film.
sancheeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 20:21
Orangemaid
Forum Member

i think The Blob has been on..like other poster above said about 30 years ago
Old 03-10-2013, 11:52
andy1231
Forum Member

It did do the rounds on one of the free to air movie channels last year.

And it's not 'the Ken Russel film with Oliver Reed', it's 'the Nic Roeg film with naked Amanda Donohoe'.

Youre quite right - silly me But would still like a DVD release of this film or Russels Whicked Lady.
Iv'e just bought a DVD of The Medusa Touch starring Richard Burton, not seen this for years, paid 2.00 for it in a charity shop.
andy1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 16:12
intruder2k
Forum Member

I don't remember ever seeing the Kevin Dillon version either. I remember quite enjoying it at the pictures.

The original is rarely shown, but I definitely saw it on TV about 30 years ago.
The original was last shown in 2008, you can always check at www.viewfilm.net if need be.

The remake was shown on TV many, many years ago, that's where I saw it the first time. I liked it enough to go out and buy it on VHS at the time.
intruder2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 17:39
Trsvis_Bickle
Forum Member

D.A.R.Y.L.
Harold & Maude
Shy People
Heavy
Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon
The Sterile Cuckoo
Looking for Mr. Goodbar
Chicago Cab
I only really recognise BIB. It has some pretty horrific violence against women, as I recall. Difficult to justify showing in the current nervous climate, I guess.
Trsvis_Bickle is offline   Reply With Quote