Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

The Spyro The Dragon games series appreciation thread

Old 13-01-2013, 19:53
Niue
Inactive Member

This thread is for anybody who liked playing any of the Spyro The Dragon games on either the Playstation/Playstation 2 or Gameboy Advance.

How many of you here ever played any of the Spyro games like Spyro The Dragon, Spyro 2: Gateway To Glimmer or Spyro Year Of The Dragon etc?

I did, and they were all damn awesome! I didn't have a favorite, but I think that they were all much, much better than the Skylanders trash we get these days!
Niue is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 13-01-2013, 20:19
chopoff
Forum Member

The original series was the best. It lost its way from Legend of Spyro onwards.
chopoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 20:25
scorpionatthepc
Forum Member

The Xbox 360 versions a bit rare isn't it?
scorpionatthepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 21:06
bob2005
Forum Member

Best versions were on the Psone in my opinion.
bob2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 21:18
Shadow2009
Forum Member

I've got such great memories playing this. When I was around 5 or 6 and would sit in my room all summer playing this. Such a happy time in my life.

The second one was my favourite. I got really into the atmosphere of the game. Would sometimes love to just run around the home worlds and go to the top of the buildings and look down at everything, it was really peaceful.
Shadow2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 00:36
Lackadaisical
Inactive Member

Year Of The Dragon was by far the best, imo. Absolutely fantastic.
Lackadaisical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 00:38
ICT User 77
Forum Member

Great stuff that Sony released them all on PSN. Top quality series on PS1.
ICT User 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 03:35
Robertfitz
Forum Member

Year of the dragon for me. Absolute brilliant game.
Robertfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 22:52
killthedirector
Forum Member

great games. one of the first games i ever played along with crash bandicoot. Unfortunately it went to crap when they rebooted it with the legend of spyro i think? haven't bothered with skylanders. Spyro looks horrible on that.
killthedirector is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 23:59
Niue
Inactive Member

Also, for anybody here who played any of the Spyro games, name a game and your favorite and least favorite level in the game.

For example, in Spyro Year Of The Dragon, I particularly liked Dino Mines, but hated all of the speedway levels or any parts of the levels which had a time limit on them!
Old 18-01-2013, 00:14
Fio Montoya
Forum Member

I have all three of the PS1 Spyro games, absolutely love them. After that they were sold and went sharply downhill. Still find the flight levels in the first game challenging
Fio Montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 00:19
Niue
Inactive Member

I have all three of the PS1 Spyro games, absolutely love them. After that they were sold and went sharply downhill. Still find the flight levels in the first game challenging
I found the Sunny Flight and Night Flight flight levels to be relatively easy, whereas the Crystal Flight, Wild Flight and Icy Flight flight levels were for me a nightmare to complete!!
Old 18-01-2013, 00:33
Abomination
Forum Member

I missed Spyro on PS1 as account of being too young, but got into the series afterwards.

I played 'Enter the Dragonfly' or Spyro 4 on PS2, which was fun enough in retrospect... it was those diabolical loading times that I couldn't stand, and ended up being a large part of my memory of a bright and colourful game.

I then played 'A Hero's Tale' which was again fun enough, but I hated the childish emphasis on it that the other games had a way of getting around... this felt very junior in places. It was good, but a disappointing end to the main line of Spyro games.

The Legend of Spyro Trilogy was good in its own right, enough for me to consider them a Spyro 6, Spyro 7 and Spyro 8 were they not a prequel. But they lost the point of what Spyro is, and the once colourful and light-hearted story became a bit too emotastic. It looked a bit dull, and the graphics felt like another step back (funnily I think Enter The Dragonfly had the best by far).

I also played Season of Ice, Season of Flame and Adventure . These were all good fun on the little GBA back in the day

Finally, I played Spyro: Shadow Legacy on DS. A fun enough game with a few good ideas behind it, though not adding much new from the more colourful GBA titles.

I miss Spyro.
Abomination is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 14:45
Niue
Inactive Member

I missed Spyro on PS1 as account of being too young, but got into the series afterwards.

I played 'Enter the Dragonfly' or Spyro 4 on PS2, which was fun enough in retrospect... it was those diabolical loading times that I couldn't stand, and ended up being a large part of my memory of a bright and colourful game.

I then played 'A Hero's Tale' which was again fun enough, but I hated the childish emphasis on it that the other games had a way of getting around... this felt very junior in places. It was good, but a disappointing end to the main line of Spyro games.

The Legend of Spyro Trilogy was good in its own right, enough for me to consider them a Spyro 6, Spyro 7 and Spyro 8 were they not a prequel. But they lost the point of what Spyro is, and the once colourful and light-hearted story became a bit too emotastic. It looked a bit dull, and the graphics felt like another step back (funnily I think Enter The Dragonfly had the best by far).

I also played Season of Ice, Season of Flame and Adventure . These were all good fun on the little GBA back in the day

Finally, I played Spyro: Shadow Legacy on DS. A fun enough game with a few good ideas behind it, though not adding much new from the more colourful GBA titles.

I miss Spyro.
When it came to the GBA titles from the Spyro series, I loved playing "Attack Of The Rhynocs"!
Old 18-01-2013, 16:09
PinSarla
Forum Member

Also, for anybody here who played any of the Spyro games, name a game and your favorite and least favorite level in the game.

For example, in Spyro Year Of The Dragon, I particularly liked Dino Mines, but hated all of the speedway levels or any parts of the levels which had a time limit on them!
My favourite is the first Spyro, and my favourite level was either the one in the docklands (near the end I think??), or the one with the wizards (I think it was a snow level and there were lots of platforms). It's been a while since I've played any Spyro games though, but the first one I will always have very fond memories of
PinSarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 16:40
Just Vogue
Inactive Member

Spyro was my "thing" growing up. I was absolutely obsessed with the games and played them religiously. Even though they played such a huge part in my gaming childhood I don't recall many of the levels due to my age at the time. I remember the games overall and their storylines but individual levels are hard to recall (Except for the ones which really annoyed me, such as the level with the Rams in Spyro 1 ) ! I absolutely loved Spyro 2, everything about that game was perfect. It worked out the kinks of the first one and the story/characters were awesome.

As others have said after the games on PS1 there was a sharp decline in quality but despite this the games were still enjoyable for what they were.

I've been absolutely dying to play these games again so if anybody knows of a way which doesn't involve purchasing a PS1/2/3 then I'd love to know, although I know it's unlikely! :P I do have an Xbox 360 but it doesn't appear that any of the games are on sale there.
Just Vogue is offline   Reply With Quote