Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Far Cry 2... TWO!

Old 15-01-2013, 00:01
TheVoid
Forum Member

So Far Cry 3 is now one of the best games I've ever played.

Is Far Cry 2 just as good and play the same? It seems to have mixed reviews?
TheVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-01-2013, 00:19
Mark A
Forum Member

I think in some ways it's better, but I'm obviously in the minority on that. FC3 is excellent, but for me FC2 is a purer experience. Once you get into it and realize it's all about tactical stealth and not running an' gunning, or charging from one fire-fight to the next fire-fight as fast as possible, it's a totally absorbing time thief. You have to learn to play it properly, 'cos if you don't you'll either blame the game or walk away shaking your head.

Same could be said about many games, of course.

Regards

Mark
Mark A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 13:49
kendoguk
Forum Member

I think 3 is great but never once was able to get into 2 lol
kendoguk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 16:18
alternate
Forum Member

It was more ambitious but a chore to play. Random respawning patrols and degrading weapons stick in my memory.
alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 16:28
thomas2400
Forum Member

I was given it as part of my PS+ Sub and i still feel like i paid to much even though i paid 0p

It's horrifically bad and boring, it nearly put me off buying Farcry 3 as well
thomas2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 16:46
TheG-Man
Forum Member

I liked FC2 apart from the constant enemy respawns at checkpoints and being attacked every 5 mins by a jeep, once you got the hanglider it made getting about so much less annoying. Didn't luke online though, cinstantly being sniped by Germans!?
TheG-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 17:10
Mark A
Forum Member

If you really want to know what FC2 is like check out Major Slack's playthroughs on YouTube. He shows you exactly how to treat the game and play it for maximum pleasure.

Regards

Mark
Mark A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 18:05
Si_Crewe
Forum Member

I've said the same thing before but I think anybody who likes FC3 will almost certainly enjoy FC2 as well.

It doesn't have as many cool toys and the story isn't as vivid but I think it actually allows the player to become more immersed in the game-world.

Sure, the respawning baddies at the checkpoints are a bit annoying but you don't have to fight them if you don't want to and the fast-travel system means you can miss out on things but you don't have to use that either.
Si_Crewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 23:18
Vast_Girth
Forum Member

I love far cry 3 (and 1), but i hate far cry 2 with a passion. Possibly the most irritating game i have ever played.
Vast_Girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 08:16
Neil_Staton
Forum Member

FC2 was horendously tedious, I coul;dnt even be bothered finishing it, the only other game that has ever happened to me was duke nuken forever.

Even though people say FC3 is good I have been put of so much by FC2, Im going to wait a couple of months till its half price.
Neil_Staton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 10:51
kendoguk
Forum Member

It's been half price in alot of places for a while now trust me its a lot more fun than 2
kendoguk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 12:14
steveOooo
Forum Member

It's a game you can dip into on / off over 2-3 months - something that needs a 2-3 hour session - it's not a quick fix like cod - for some reason it's a game I think u should play in the summer
steveOooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 08:30
Neil_Staton
Forum Member

It's been half price in alot of places for a while now trust me its a lot more fun than 2
i thought it only just came out

This generally my new policy anyway, let the nerds buy it at full price to subsidise me waiting a bit for half price
Neil_Staton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 10:02
ritch
Forum Member

I enjoyed Far Cry 2 a lot but recognise it has faults. Some of the game play was tedious, I just felt the environments and gun play made up for it, I had a few stand out gaming moments in this title. I also liked the story, its just a shame it wasnít more involved or there were a few other plot lines in the. By the end of FC2 I had more of a feeling about what the game could have been if its faults were addressed, because there was a lot in there to like. Whether FC3 has the answer I donít know, just something about that game doesnít inspire me, the story sounds shite. I preferred the tone set in FC2 ironically.
ritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 15:40
Just Vogue
Inactive Member

I was never able to play far cry 2 for long enough to find the faults you've all listed above. I played it for a few hours, but the game just felt so boring. I have tried pushing through and playing it quite a few times but I just can't do it. I only really bought it after somebody I knew suggested it. Ironically this person is probably the single most dull person I've ever met.

As has been mentioned, Far Cry 3 is absolutely amazing. It's evident from the very start that they've realized their mistakes. For example the opening of FC3 is a thousand times more exciting than that of 2, which if I remember correctly started off in the backseat of a truck...

As someone who found the game incredibly tedious I wouldn't advise playing it, although you might find yourself enjoying it because quite a few people seem to.
Just Vogue is offline   Reply With Quote