Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

XF: Back To Basics 2 - Live Show 1

Old 18-01-2013, 18:00
Soppyfan
Forum Member

So a few days ago, a new Series of Back To Basics was launched. In this Series so far, we have met a returning judge, a veteran judge and two new faces starting off their mentoring careers as they join this year's panel. This Series is set to be one of the best and why is that you wonder? It's because it's hosted by none other yours truly...that's me in case you're confused. Anyways, tonight the mentors and their respected categories will sing live for your votes for the first time as they embark on their journey to be crowned the next winner of Back To Basics!

Fighting for your votes are:

pingu58011 & The Boys
Joe McElderry
Aiden Grimshaw
Craig Colton

Kuda_Kunaka & The Girls
Alexandra Burke
TreyC Cohen
Leona Lewis

jackamakka & The Overs
Ruth Lorenzo
Olly Murs
Kye Sones

bboy1988 & The Groups
4Tune
Little Mix
MK1

So welcome ladies and gentleman to where you TGIF events starts right here! Alright tonight our Top 12 are here and ready to go and later on, we will have a guest performance from the Series 1 Winner Amelia Lily before the results, now before we begin, let's hope we have a lively panel, judges confirm your presence!
Soppyfan is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 18-01-2013, 18:01
bboy1988
Forum Member

I'm here
bboy1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 18:02
Kuda_Kunaka
Forum Member

I am here, I am ready and sooo are my girls! have a feeling this is gonna be a great show
Kuda_Kunaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 18:05
Soppyfan
Forum Member

Okay Jacka and Pingu aren't here tonight, but I have their comments at the ready.
So let's kick off with the boys, opening the show and hoping to be in a hall of fame, it's Joe McElderry!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygcy_zkE4YA
Old 18-01-2013, 18:06
bboy1988
Forum Member

Joe

Joe firstly I am going to begin by congratulating you on opening up what I hope will be a very exciting and successful game. I want to giving your mentor credit where credit is due on the risk of the song as this is certainly not what I would have expected from you. But was it a risk that has paid off, I personally donít think so. I am not sure what way the public will vote as its the first show but I wish you all the best.
Old 18-01-2013, 18:06
Soppyfan
Forum Member

Pingu's Comment

Joe

Joe!!! Joe!!! Joe!!!! What a way to start the show.Vocals were incredible and the performance was overall fantastic. If you are not hear next week I will actually walk off!!!

Jacka's Comment

Joe McElderry
Joe, I think you are a great singer and you have great power in your voice. However, I donít think that was the best song choice for you simply because it didnít show how empowering your voice can be. I was a little disappointed with that performance but thatís just my opinion. I hope people vote for you as I want to see you try something more suited to you next time.
Old 18-01-2013, 18:09
Kuda_Kunaka
Forum Member

Now Joe, Well Done for opening the series. You have one of the strongest male voices in this competition and I don't believe that song was perfect for you as I think it really lacks melody, and though I noticed you trying to interpret it in your own way, I don't think it was enough to make it a great performance
Old 18-01-2013, 18:10
Soppyfan
Forum Member

So we start with good comments overall for Joe, but will that get him off the ground?
Next up is the girls and letting us know about Heaven & Earth, it's Alexandra Burke!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqUWvYk8e1s
Old 18-01-2013, 18:11
Soppyfan
Forum Member

Pingu's Comment

Alexandra

It`s only the first show and you`ve already brought a tear to my eye with that powerful and tearful performance with voccals out of this world. Well done!!

Jacka's Comment

Alexandra Burke
Alex honey, that was beautifully sung. It was a perfect song choice for you but I think it might have been a little on the safe side. I appreciate itís the first show and your mentor decided to just throw out something that suits you but I would have preferred to have seen something a little different. Iím not trying to be negative, Iím just trying to be constructive. Good job girl.
Old 18-01-2013, 18:12
bboy1988
Forum Member

Alexandra

That was a really nice performance tonight Alex. Your mentor has chosen a very nice song for you to sing even though it is a bit of a safe choice; I think you have delivered a great performance tonight. I am looking forward to seeing what your mentor will do with you in the coming weeks.
Old 18-01-2013, 18:13
Kuda_Kunaka
Forum Member

Now girl, I took a risk with you, something a little unpredictable even though it was still a ballad, I can bet my left leg no one would have thought you'd sing that one.. and you did so thanks for not letting me down, and not letting your fans down. Great Performance
Old 18-01-2013, 18:15
Soppyfan
Forum Member

Very good comments for the Burke, could she be the one to watch?

Next is the first of the Overs and read all about it folks, it's Kye Sones!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_pRtrjQ-4Q
Old 18-01-2013, 18:16
Soppyfan
Forum Member

Pingu's Comment

Kye

Kye, that`s not what I was expecting from you!! It was boring and emotionless, while I was expecting something from you which made an impact. I think your in trouble tonight!!

Jacka's Comment

Kye Sones
Kye, that was fantastic! I took a risk with you and tried to show off a side to you that wasnít really exploited that much on the show and I think you pulled it off fantastically. I admit, it was a little pitchy in areas but that can be worked on. I really hope the public felt that was a great performance too because I need you back next round!
Old 18-01-2013, 18:16
bboy1988
Forum Member

Kye

I have to be completely honest here and say I honestly wish your mentor hadnít chosen this song for you to sing as it is totally overused and over played. Vocally I donít think that you are the strongest vocalist but you are certainly not the worst. Kye if you make it through to the next show I look forward to seeing what your mentor can come up with to wow us with.
Old 18-01-2013, 18:19
Kuda_Kunaka
Forum Member

Kye my man, I think your mentor knows what to do with you but if I could give you one tip for you to go far in this competition is versatility, cause you are up against some vocalists, and I mean vocalists and you aren't the best so versatility would be a good strong point of yours. I think I liked that performance
Old 18-01-2013, 18:20
Soppyfan
Forum Member

Sort of mixed comments for Kye, but we'll find out later if he'll be safe.

Now for the first of the groups and with a mash-up performance, it's MK1!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcuvjFBeQpE
Old 18-01-2013, 18:21
bboy1988
Forum Member

MK1

Guys what a welcome to the competition. I have been wanting to get to working with the groups for such a long time I am afraid that I may mess it up with all of my groups. I thought that performance was amazing tonight guys. Charlie you have a really distinctive voice and you sounded amazing tonight. Sim my boy, WOW. You took the level that Charlie had brought the performance to and you took it to another level. I hope that the public like this performance and support you through this competition as I have so much hope for you and want to start to develop your urban side.
Old 18-01-2013, 18:21
Soppyfan
Forum Member

Pingu's Comment

MK1

MK1 you have come into this competition with a BANG!! It really suited your style and made me sway to the music. It also had an urban vibe to it as well!!

Jacka's Comment

MK1
Guys I have to say, that was amazing! At first I didnít know if it would work but it did and it was just... WOW! The vocals were a really big improvement from what weíve seen before and the whole dynamic of you singing two completely different songs but uniting them perfectly and in harmony was an ingenious idea from your mentor. I want you back here for the next show because Iím intrigued to see if thereís any more surprises to come.
Old 18-01-2013, 18:24
Kuda_Kunaka
Forum Member

If there's anyone whose gonna know what to do with you.. that's Steve. I have such a strong connection with you when you step on that stage, cause you're right up my street. That was a bit different from what you did on the show cause that sounded acapella a bit.. and on the show you were quite lively. Overall, I thought it was a good performance for a first live show
Old 18-01-2013, 18:25
Soppyfan
Forum Member

Wow, amazing comments for MK1, could they be the early favorites to win another competition?

Alright back to the boys and hoping to put his tension to one side, it's Aiden Grimshaw!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBTXNPZPfbE
Old 18-01-2013, 18:26
Soppyfan
Forum Member

Pingu's comment

Aiden

Aiden!! What can I say, you did my boys proud tonight!! It was amazing vocals with a modern song but but you put your twist on it and made it dark and eery!! Fabulous!!

Jacka's comment

Aiden Grimshaw
Aiden, that was really powerful and really moving. Beautifully done, played to your strengths but also showed off a more up-tempo side to you that weíve not really seen a lot of. The raw emotion that you put into your performances is something that other acts should envy. Definitely one of my favourites so far.
Old 18-01-2013, 18:27
bboy1988
Forum Member

Aiden

Aiden, you are possibly one of my favourite ever X Factor finalists and the one act I always look forward to watching your performances. At the start of the song I was like yes Aiden, as it had the dark and intense feeling about it, but as the song drew nearer to the chorus I felt that something wasnít sitting right. Rock isnít particularly your style, but you did a pretty good job with it. I will give your mentor credit for the unexpected song choice.
Old 18-01-2013, 18:29
jackamakka
Forum Member

Hey, I'm back. Sorry about that :/
jackamakka is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 18:29
Kuda_Kunaka
Forum Member

That was a great performance and I have to say I wasn't expecting Linkin Park, let alone on show 1, so well done to your mentor for that. I have a feeling you are gonna be a dark horse in this competition.. and good luck tonight

*sorry, internet a bit slow guys
Old 18-01-2013, 18:30
Soppyfan
Forum Member

Hey Jacka, since you're back I'll leave your comments to you.
So it's good comments for Aiden, but will he able to go far in this competition?

Back to the girls and she wants us to trust and believe, it's TreyC Cohen!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xurb5H3g0TM