Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

VHS to USB converter advice

Old 20-01-2013, 08:42
justjax
Forum Member

I have about a dozen old VHS tapes I'd like to convert to DVD or AVI files via a PC and I saw this week that Living Social have a deal on for a Nifty Spot VHS-to-USB Converter. It's 12 instead of 39. Now over the past few years I've looked into various options but reviews of similar hardware and software seems mixed. Anyway one possibly have this or any recommendations? Temped to get it as its just 12 but don't mind paying a bit more if someone has a better solution.

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/1...-usb-converter
justjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-01-2013, 08:46
flagpole
Inactive Member

Those things cost 12 or there abouts.

search on amazon for 'easycap'

but they work pretty well. you might need a scart to phono converter too.
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 13:33
justjax
Forum Member

Thanks, had a look and there are a few other similar to the easy cap that have better reviews but price wise around the same or cheaper than the one from Living Social so thanks for gone advice I'll get something from Amazon instead.
Old 20-01-2013, 17:23
Maxatoria
Forum Member

Most of the vhs->pc stuff are based around the same basic circuitry so theres very little to compare between them all
Maxatoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 18:19
c4rv
Forum Member

Make sure that it supports your O/S. Some don't support Win7 so if that is what you are using then make sure it says win7 on the ad. You can get round it as previous poster said they all pretty much use the same chip inside but it can be a pain so best get a compatible one in the first place.
c4rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 18:53
justjax
Forum Member

Thanks all. Mixed reviews on all these things but I was thinking of going with this one. Seems to have more positive reviews than the super cheap ones. http://www.amazon.co.uk/ClimaxDigita...pr_product_top
Old 20-01-2013, 19:11
flagpole
Inactive Member

I have one of the cheap easy cap things and it's fine. The thing about vhs us it's crap, so when you see it on the monitor and it looks crap it's easy to blame the device.

Myself I would go cheap.
Old 20-01-2013, 19:45
justjax
Forum Member

I have one of the cheap easy cap things and it's fine. The thing about vhs us it's crap, so when you see it on the monitor and it looks crap it's easy to blame the device.

Myself I would go cheap.
But it seems a bunch of the easycap reviews suggest compatibility problems with Windows 7, which is why I'm inclined to go for the climax digital one, looks like better software too.
Old 20-01-2013, 22:29
James2001
Forum Member

Unless I'm mistaken, most of the "Easycap" things are dodgy chinese fakes- that's why they're so cheap. And don't work properly- I had one before I went for a more expensive one.
James2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 22:41
flagpole
Inactive Member

But it seems a bunch of the easycap reviews suggest compatibility problems with Windows 7, which is why I'm inclined to go for the climax digital one, looks like better software too.
They use standard windows drivers. So they will work just fine with w7. Plug it in and it installs itself.

Maybe there is a problem with the software. Don't know, didn't use it.

They are certainly Chinese. I'd be surprised if USB capture device existed that wasn't Chinese.