Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Apple reports record earnings, shares slide 8%

Old 23-01-2013, 20:57
Lila
Forum Member

I have recently requested my unlocking code and during the conversation it came up that I would lose all my texts during the process. She seemed adamant this would be the case.

I have had to restore my iPhone before and have still had my texts.

Has anyone on here actually unlocked theirs and can say either way what will happen?

I am hoping that as long as the phone is backed up before doing it they will be restored??

Thanks.
Lila is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-01-2013, 21:10
MrRedman1967
Forum Member

Did mine on o2 nothing happen its unlocked now and on virgin sim deal
MrRedman1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 22:13
Lila
Forum Member

So your texts were still there yeah?

I think the Orange iPhone 'expert' was talking rubbish.
Old 23-01-2013, 22:15
whoever,hey
Forum Member

If you have backed up your texts and can see them, then they cant take them away from your backup.

Apple wont let you check this because they are arses, but there is other software which can look in to your iTunes backup.
whoever,hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 22:19
tellytart1
Forum Member

Yes, I'm with O2 and have unlocked every iPhone I've had. It doesn't erase any data on the phone. You'll get a text of some sort when the phone has been unlocked, and you might need to connect it to itunes to complete (for older versions of iOS), or just simply turn it off, put in a SIM from another provider and turn back on, and it should just work.

You might need to change some of the mobile data settings in the phone for the new provider, but their websites will have all the necessary details.
tellytart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 22:32
Lila
Forum Member

Thankyou everyone. Just need reassurance before going ahead.
Old 23-01-2013, 23:20
DevonBloke
Forum Member

As long as you back it up either to iTunes or iCloud your texts will be backed up too. The texts are stored in the phone not the sim like they used to be. Unlocking doesn't erase the phone anyway.
DevonBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 00:35
Roush
Forum Member

Provided your iPhone is running iOS 5 or above there's really nothing you need to do. The networks have not trained their CS staff particularly well regarding the changes to unlocking that came with iOS 5.

Prior to iOS 5 a restore via iTunes was indeed required, which would wipe the device, but provided your content was synched and you'd taken a backup everything could be restored back exactly as it was.

From iOS 5 onwards unlocking an iPhone is a very simple and pain-free process, and there's actually nothing the user needs to do other than change the SIM (apart from requesting the unlock, of course...).

Once you have confirmation from the network that the phone has been unlocked you just need to insert a SIM from a different network, and make sure there is an internet connection available on the phone. A few seconds after inserting the SIM the phone will reactivate as an unlocked handset. All content and data on the phone is unaffected by this.

(The restore method of unlocking still does work on iOS 5 and onwards, for anyone who prefers that way.)
Roush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 01:20
The Lord Lucan
Forum Member

Orange have a script they read... It's a bit out if date. Only until recently they stated in the confirmation email about inputting unlocking codes which is also incorrect with the iPhone.

After you get the email 7-14 days after you request it, you plug it into iTunes with a non Orange sim preferably and that's it. No loss of anything, no fuss.

EDIT: Just noticed the above poster answered the query in much better detail.
The Lord Lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 07:01
Lidtop2013
Forum Member

Can't believe they told you you would lose your texts, quite funny really
Lidtop2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 07:38
andys corner
Forum Member

When I worked for a mobile network one of my jobs was iPhone unlock requests, I processed god only knows how many and any loss of data is absolute bull

I also did 2 of my own
andys corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 15:40
Lila
Forum Member

Provided your iPhone is running iOS 5 or above there's really nothing you need to do. The networks have not trained their CS staff particularly well regarding the changes to unlocking that came with iOS 5.

Prior to iOS 5 a restore via iTunes was indeed required, which would wipe the device, but provided your content was synched and you'd taken a backup everything could be restored back exactly as it was.

From iOS 5 onwards unlocking an iPhone is a very simple and pain-free process, and there's actually nothing the user needs to do other than change the SIM (apart from requesting the unlock, of course...).

Once you have confirmation from the network that the phone has been unlocked you just need to insert a SIM from a different network, and make sure there is an internet connection available on the phone. A few seconds after inserting the SIM the phone will reactivate as an unlocked handset. All content and data on the phone is unaffected by this.

(The restore method of unlocking still does work on iOS 5 and onwards, for anyone who prefers that way.)
Thankyou and to everyone else.

As i've previously mentioned i've had to restore and not lost the texts. As I have some stuff on the phone I don't want to lose I just wanted to check.

I'm well aware that Orange customer service is shocking. One of the reasons I am leaving the network.