Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

JJ Abrams CONFIRMED to direct Star Wars

Old 26-01-2013, 14:28
RebelScum
Forum Member

Isn't that enough? Those elements comprise the bulk of the stories.
Well, it's not enough really, not when you start off by saying they share a lot of similarities. But anyway, lets look at those two.

Space setting: just because share a setting does not mean they are similar. In Star Trek the reason for being set in space is scientific exploration, that informs the parameters and tone. For Star Wars it's, well, there is no specific reason really, it's simply backdrop.

Fast paced action: Star Wars is full of magic and wizards using their powers. There are no supernatural elements in Star Trek, the action is just a bunch of humans using whatever human skills they have. Again, parameters are set, creating a clear distinction between the two.

I can see how someone doing a crossword, not really paying attention and looking at the screen every now and then might think their similar.

As I said, I could be wrong. But I won't be surprised if Abrams steps down from Star Trek after his 2nd movie to concentrate on the Star Wars trilogy.
You cold be right. Maybe he does maybe he doesn't. If he doesn't step down though, I personally have every confidence in his creative ability to handle both.
RebelScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-01-2013, 14:41
treme
Inactive Member

The Star Wars and Star Trek universes are very different creatively. Star Trek is what I would call science-fiction, Star Wars is more science-fiction fantasy.
treme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 14:54
Broken_Arrow
Forum Member

I've watched Star Trek for countless years and have seen all the Star Wars movies You don't need to tell me what they're about. As far as JJ Abrams version of Star Trek goes it's more in line with a Star Wars movie (sans fantasy element). In fact the Star Trek movies have never been a good representation of Star Trek as a whole because they're usually more action orientated rather than cerebral like the tv shows. In that way, and in my opinion, they share similarities with the big blockbuster Star Wars movies. Obviously I can tell the differences but there are enough similarities that there could be a creative conflict for a director in charge of both properties. It's like having the same person in charge of EastEnders and Coronation Street. Both have similarities but many differences. But there is a danger they could become diluted by having the same person overseeing them. That's all I was getting at when I asked if Abrams would continue with Star Trek now he has Star Wars to contend with.
Broken_Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 15:15
Johnny Clay
Forum Member

“There were the very early conversations and I quickly said that because of my loyalty to Star Trek, and also just being a fan, I wouldn’t even want to be involved in the next version of those things. I declined any involvement very early on. I’d rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them.”

— J.J. Abrams on being offered the role as directing Star Wars Episode VII, Empire magazine Feb 2013
Well, that is an interesting quote.

It makes you wonder what made JJ Abram$ change his mind.
Johnny Clay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 15:22
treme
Inactive Member

I've watched Star Trek for countless years and have seen all the Star Wars movies You don't need to tell me what they're about.
It's only a discussion mate, take it easy.
treme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 15:54
NorfolkBoy1
Forum Member

*generic lens flare 'joke'*
NorfolkBoy1 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 16:11
Karis
Forum Member

*generic lens flare 'joke'*
Hehehehe
Karis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 16:22
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Well, that is an interesting quote.

It makes you wonder what made JJ Abram$ change his mind.
Perhaps he was lying, if he knew at that time he'd have been subject to a non-disclosure agreement so couldn't say anything. Maybe he was trying to play Disney for creative control. Maybe Disney got desperate...
theonlyweeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 16:53
MacLovin
Forum Member

Well I'm very happy with the appointment of JJ Abrams as the director.

Roll on May 2015
MacLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 17:52
ASIFZED
Forum Member

Do you think it's a safe bet to assume regular JJ Abrams collaborator Michael Giacchino will take over scoring duties and replace John Williams?
ASIFZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 18:30
PunksNotDead
Forum Member

Just read in The Sun (yes i know) Episode VII features Darth Maul, so its a prequel to Phantom Menace? Are they on about the Thrawn Trilogy?
Link
PunksNotDead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 18:35
RebelScum
Forum Member

Just read in The Sun (yes i know) Episode VII features Darth Maul, so its a prequel to Phantom Menace?
Darth Maul is alive. The dark side of the force, fuelled by his hatred, kept him alive. How and if they fit him into the new movie is something else entirely.
Old 26-01-2013, 18:40
PunksNotDead
Forum Member

Darth Maul is alive. The dark side of the force, fuelled by his hatred, kept him alive.
I understand they brought him back for the animated series "The clone wars" but never watched that. Wonder how his absence during episode IV- VI will be explained.
Old 26-01-2013, 18:52
RebelScum
Forum Member

I understand they brought him back for the animated series "The clone wars" but never watched that. Wonder how his absence during episode IV- VI will be explained.
Who knows. He's still very much on the go in the Clone Wars causing all sorts of mayhem, but as we never see him in Episode 3, something must happen at some point that would explain his absence. Although tbh, at this point I'm just taking stuff like Maul being in the next movie with a pinch of salt, I'm happy to just wait and see what's what nearer the time.
Old 26-01-2013, 19:01
PunksNotDead
Forum Member

Who knows. He's still very much on the go in the Clone Wars causing all sorts of mayhem, but as we never see him in Episode 3, something must happen at some point that would explain his absence. Although tbh, at this point I'm just taking stuff like Maul being in the next movie with a pinch of salt, I'm happy to just wait and see what's what nearer the time.
I agree, but there is going to be so much speculation over the next two years i just hope films not a huge letdown like The Phantom Menace
Old 26-01-2013, 19:36
kendoguk
Forum Member

Surely he cannot do that badly lol
kendoguk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 19:40
Bluray
Inactive Member

People are laughable.
So many people have slagged George Lucas off through all the prequels and his tinkering of the original trilogy.......
Someone completely new is having a go and people STILL moan.....before its even been made.

Mind-boggling!
Bluray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 19:43
hume
Forum Member

I wish disney would wait 5 years and approach James Cameron to do it. Star Wars deserves someone of his calibre at the helm.
hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 19:47
Sniffle774
Forum Member

It's not like Highlander has a whole heap of credibility to begin with, downhill after the first one is putting it mildly.

Any remake is unlikely to be worse than 2.
A pile of dog shite served, steaming hot, to every cinema goer would be better than Highlander 2.
Sniffle774 is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 19:48
Sniffle774
Forum Member

I think its a good choice myself and I look forwards to seeing what he can do.
Sniffle774 is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote