Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

External Hard Drive and Ps3

Old 26-01-2013, 16:45
Meechan1992
Forum Member

Hi all.

I'm just wondering if a Seagate Expansion 320GB USB Portable Hard Drive would work with the PS3 if I was to format to it to FAT32?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/9096833.htm

Thanks in advance,
Meechan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-01-2013, 17:59
Conroy
Forum Member

Yes it will.
Conroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 11:49
Hotbird
Forum Member

Remember to put your content in the right folder structure on the external drive.

VIDEO for videos MUSIC for music ect...
Hotbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 13:16
Weeksy
Forum Member

Remember to put your content in the right folder structure on the external drive.

VIDEO for videos MUSIC for music ect...
AH! Is that the reason my PS3 won't find any content on my hard disk? Seems ridiculous as Xbox just lets me go through folders. So I need to have all my videos in a folder just off the route called "VIDEO" ?

Very old fashioned!
Weeksy is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 13:53
The Terminator
Inactive Member

^No, you can just select the HDD and press triangle then choose "display all".
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 16:39
Hotbird
Forum Member

AH! Is that the reason my PS3 won't find any content on my hard disk? Seems ridiculous as Xbox just lets me go through folders. So I need to have all my videos in a folder just off the route called "VIDEO" ?

Very old fashioned!
To make things easier yes you need all your videos (Or folders containing videos) inside a folder on the root call VIDEO.

But you can just stick a USB drive in, select the drive on the XMB press triangle and select "display all" if you don't want to folder up the content.

Foldering up stuff just makes things easier if you use the drive daily to access your content.
Old 30-01-2013, 12:20
lloydstenton
Forum Member

I've got a side issue that I'm hoping somebody can offer help on ....

I'm trying to back up the PS3 to an external drive so I can swap out the internal drive for a bigger one.

I've formatted the external to FAT32 and the PS3 recognises that I've plugged it in (the clock icon spins).

After that however, it doesn't recognise it at all.

I'm clicking through the back up utility and then just get the "connect storage media at the save destination" message.

It's plugged in at the mains, so it's not like it's not drawing enough power from the PS3 to spin up.

It's also the same drive that my nephew used to back up his when he upgraded the drive and he had no problems at all.

I'm at the tearing hair out stage now .....

Ta for any assistance

Last edited by lloydstenton : 30-01-2013 at 12:20. Reason: Typo
lloydstenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 02:21
steveOooo
Forum Member

I'm having major issues with a new slim recognising my WD drive - which I used to back up my phat...

http://community.eu.playstation.com/...t/false#M29361

Apparently, long story short, the slim doesn't like WD external drives!
steveOooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 08:14
lloydstenton
Forum Member

I ended up backing my saves to the cloud and the boy's to a USB stick.

Just got to spend the next couple of nights redownloading and installing - thank god for my 60 meg broadband ....
lloydstenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 19:20
Weeksy
Forum Member

To make things easier yes you need all your videos (Or folders containing videos) inside a folder on the root call VIDEO.

But you can just stick a USB drive in, select the drive on the XMB press triangle and select "display all" if you don't want to folder up the content.

Foldering up stuff just makes things easier if you use the drive daily to access your content.
Thanks for this... I'll have a little play. Surprised it can't play mp4 files also, it does seem a little bit backward compared to other tech out there... Suppose they are gearing up for ps4 though, so letting it slide. Plus admittedly it's a games console first and foremost, the video playback is a bonus.
Weeksy is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 19:29
Conroy
Forum Member

The PS3 can play MP4 files. All of the trailers on the PS Store are MP4.
Conroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:10
Hotbird
Forum Member

Thanks for this... I'll have a little play. Surprised it can't play mp4 files also, it does seem a little bit backward compared to other tech out there... Suppose they are gearing up for ps4 though, so letting it slide. Plus admittedly it's a games console first and foremost, the video playback is a bonus.
No sure where you got the idea it doesn't play MP4 files from but the PS3 easily handles them, as Conroy said the videos on the PSN store are MP4 files and the early solution to play MKV files used to be to repackage them into an MP4 container.

The only MP4 files I have found the PS3 wont play are the files get_iplayer downloads but that is easily rectified by putting the video into a new container.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:39
Ash_735
Forum Member

I'm starting to think Weeksy is just looking for things to hate, that twice now he's complained about things the PS3 is "very outdated" with that he's been wrong on. Either he's very mis-informed or he's looking to hate on a product.
Ash_735 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote