Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Dual Boot

Old 26-01-2013, 18:32
Ross1874
Forum Member

is it possible to dual boot windows vista on a new PC that already has windows 8 installed or can it only be done the other way around?
Ross1874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-01-2013, 18:49
Stig
Forum Member

It's possible, but not easy. Ideally you need to install Vista first, then W8. Have you checked there are Vista drivers for all your hardware?

What's the problem with W8 dare I ask?
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 18:49
emptybox
Forum Member

It should certainly be possible.
XP used to like being the first OS (although that could be got round), but 7 doesn't mind where it goes.
I should think Vista would be more like 7 in that respect?

The only problem I can forsee is that when you install Vista it might not automatically add Windows 8 as an option in the boot menu, but that can be got round with software like easyBCD.
emptybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 19:37
John259
Forum Member

Would EUFI/Secure Boot be likely to cause complications with a new Win8 computer?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFI
John259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 23:24
Loobster
Forum Member

It absolutely would.

On my Toshiba laptop, Windows 7 will not boot with secure boot enabled, and Windows 8 will not boot without it. Also UEFI BIOS can complicate things further.

With Windows 8, we have reached a technology jump where dual-booting with an earlier OS is not always possible, in fact it may not be possible on most computers designed specifically for Windows 8.
Loobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 00:59
bspace
Forum Member

It absolutely would.

On my Toshiba laptop, Windows 7 will not boot with secure boot enabled, and Windows 8 will not boot without it. Also UEFI BIOS can complicate things further.

With Windows 8, we have reached a technology jump where dual-booting with an earlier OS is not always possible, in fact it may not be possible on most computers designed specifically for Windows 8.
not to mention linux

another case of microsoft misusing standards to lock others out
bspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 03:10
Loobster
Forum Member

Firstly, you should learn about what these functions actually are before jumping to a [wrong] conclusion.

Secondly, the latest builds of some linux variants like Ubuntu support secure boot ... so where's the 'lock out' .... ?
Old 27-01-2013, 12:32
Ross1874
Forum Member

It's possible, but not easy. Ideally you need to install Vista first, then W8. Have you checked there are Vista drivers for all your hardware?

What's the problem with W8 dare I ask?
Nothing actually I think its great, its just that my wireless printer doesn't work on it
Ross1874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 12:40
bspace
Forum Member

Firstly, you should learn about what these functions actually are before jumping to a [wrong] conclusion.

Secondly, the latest builds of some linux variants like Ubuntu support secure boot ... so where's the 'lock out' .... ?
firstly you should recognise that other people might also know what they are talking about, even if their opinions might not match your own

secondly "some" QED
bspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 12:50
Stig
Forum Member

Nothing actually I think its great, its just that my wireless printer doesn't work on it
Which printer? Have you tried a W7 driver?
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 13:50
SkipTracer
Forum Member

I could not get a driver for my Lexmark X7675 Wireless Network printer so used the Windows 7 one and all is well and working fine in W8.
SkipTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 19:22
Loobster
Forum Member

firstly you should recognise that other people might also know what they are talking about, even if their opinions might not match your own

secondly "some" QED
It's not Microsoft's fault if some other OS developers don't release software that's compatible with new standards.

I guess if you weren't a fanboi and could see past your own limited scope of computer operation maybe you'd pick up on that.