Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Indoor Aerial needed for digital Freeview; need recommendations

Old 27-01-2013, 02:40
pete_agreatguy
Forum Member

Hi all,

I have done some research on this as had no idea where to start with it all. I have managed to find out that I live not too far from the nearest TV transmitter (Emley Moor). I reside in Horsforth (near Morrisons). From the research I did I know that buying an indoor aerial isn't worth it unless your close to a TV transmitter.

So now that I have discovered I am close-ish; I'd love for some recommendations on models that I should consider.

The aerial would need to be for a Goodmans 22" LCD HD Ready TV ( specific model is LD2271D) which has built in Freeview. I cannot connect to the roof aerial as there is no connection to it in my room (shared housing).

Thank you for any help; budget is of no concern. High range preferred with a built- in amplifier (I heard they come with them these days).
pete_agreatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-01-2013, 07:31
Sue_Aitch
Forum Member

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showt...&highlight=tce

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodec...pspl6eq2lj8hh6 Ignore PSB3 as your TV does not have a tuner that will store that mux.
Sue_Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 13:11
Rich.h
Forum Member

If budget is no option then an indoor aerial is not the way to go. Either get an outdoor aerial or a distribution system connected to the existing one.
Rich.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 14:43
Winston_1
Forum Member

Quite agree with Rich.h.

Built in amplifiers on indoor aerials are a waste of time, money, and electricity. Amplifiers are designed to overcome the losses on a long run of cable. On an indoor aerial they will just amplify all the noise that is present plus add a little of its own.

The best indoor aerials are ones that look like miniature outdoor types. Loops and fancy shapes are useless.
Winston_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 14:56
pete_agreatguy
Forum Member

If budget is no option then an indoor aerial is not the way to go. Either get an outdoor aerial or a distribution system connected to the existing one.
Hi all,

Thank you for the replies so far. I can't do an outdoor one as my landlord won't allow me to. So it needs to be an indoor option. I will look at the options in the link provided.
Old 27-01-2013, 15:04
pete_agreatguy
Forum Member

Updated the correct Morrisons address: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodec...18+5BP/69/0/NA

Some extra information which might be of some use; my room is on the very top floor of the house (which is detached 3 levels). I'm on the side of the house facing the nearest transmitter.

Had a brief look and there are the TELECAM TCE2000 High performance UHF, Telecam TCE2001 or even Philex SLx Gold DigiTop options. What would you recommend?
Old 27-01-2013, 15:37
pete_agreatguy
Forum Member

Can't edit above no more but I also found this option: Caracol 12 Element Digital TV Aerial
Old 27-01-2013, 20:29
BrokenArrow
Forum Member

It has to be a Yagi aerial, the more elements the higher the gain will be but the more precise you have to align it to the transmitter.

Loop aerials are rubbish, I have line of sight to the transmitter aerial from my house (around10 miles away) and still have occasional stutters from the TV I have using an indoor.

Also some cheaper TV's have rubbish inbuilt receivers, my sons one would only work with an external set top box, the internal one would only work with a roof aerial.
BrokenArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 07:55
pete_agreatguy
Forum Member

Hi broken, I can only do indoor. All I could find for Yagi were outdoor aerials. Could you link me to an indoor model if you know of one? Or recommend from the ones I have listed above. Thanks Pete
Old 28-01-2013, 08:16
Sue_Aitch
Forum Member

Try asking at your local Euronics' shop, Fisher's Home Electricals.
Old 28-01-2013, 09:00
David (2)
Forum Member

if signal strength is an issue for normal table top aerials, then try one like this - its an outdoor aerial but small enough to install indoors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log-periodic_antenna
David (2) is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 13:37
Winston_1
Forum Member

Had a brief look and there are the TELECAM TCE2000 High performance UHF, Telecam TCE2001 or even Philex SLx Gold DigiTop options. What would you recommend?
There is no contest here. The Telecam TCE2000 is the one to go for.
Winston_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 14:19
Doghouse Riley
Forum Member

Here's my two penn'oth.

Over forty years ago I used an old 405 line TV dipole aerial in my loft for my new tuner/amp. I guess it's about six feet long and it even has the old "thin" coax cable connected to it. It worked fine.

When freeview started, I just swopped it over from the tuner/amp and plugged it into my TV and I get a perfect picture.

I think it depends where you are as to what sort of reception you get
Doghouse Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 16:40
pete_agreatguy
Forum Member

There is no contest here. The Telecam TCE2000 is the one to go for.
hi, thanks for the advice. Why not the more expensive one (2001)? Pete
Old 28-01-2013, 16:54
chrisjr
Forum Member

hi, thanks for the advice. Why not the more expensive one (2001)? Pete
The 2001 has a built in amplifier. Which can be more trouble than they are worth. If the signal is reasonably strong then you don't really need the amplifier. And if the signal is so weak you need an amplifier you probably won't be wanting an indoor set-top aerial!
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 13:35
pete_agreatguy
Forum Member

Thanks Chris. Looks like I'll be getting the telecom 2000 then. Thanks for all the help all. Pete
Old 29-01-2013, 14:28
DeelyBopper
Forum Member

Thanks Chris. Looks like I'll be getting the telecom 2000 then. Thanks for all the help all. Pete
I'm in the same area (Emley Moor Transmitter) and did a bit of research before buying an indoor aerial too.

The Telecam got good reviews so I bought one and its been great. I get all the channels and once I placed it I haven't needed to fiddle with its position that can sometimes happen with other indoors I've had.
DeelyBopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 14:46
Sue_Aitch
Forum Member

You're very welcome. The Telecam did the trick when I needed it in Newham, pointing at the Crystall Palace transmitter.
Old 02-02-2013, 00:36
pete_agreatguy
Forum Member

I'm in the same area (Emley Moor Transmitter) and did a bit of research before buying an indoor aerial too.

The Telecam got good reviews so I bought one and its been great. I get all the channels and once I placed it I haven't needed to fiddle with its position that can sometimes happen with other indoors I've had.
Thanks for that. I found this useful site:

http://www.ricability-digitaltv.org.uk/pages/products/indoor_aerials/aerial_search_results.asp?schAmplifier=&schName=&sortPerformance=DESC

Going to go with the Telecam 2000. Considered the Philex SLX Gold digiTop 27769R but after the posts on here and other reviews I've read I'm defiantly going with the Telecam.