Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Studio Ghibli

Old 27-01-2013, 11:57
Jenbonjovi
Forum Member

Sorry if this thread has been done before but I can't find anything!

I've seen a few mentions of Studio Ghibli in other threads and I'm just discovering them myself so I was just wondering what everyones favourite films are? Also do you prefer them with subtitles or dubbed?
Jenbonjovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-01-2013, 12:03
blitzben85
Forum Member

Im a big fan of Ghibli, my favorite movies are:

Pom Poko - the message behind this movie is brill
Porco Rosso
Howels Moving Castle
Ponyo (On a cliff by the sea)
Kiki's Delivery Service

Hayao Miyazaki is great and i plan on visiting the Ghibli museum in Tokyo, one day...I'm glad Ghibli is working alongside Pixar and was so happy to see Totoro in Toy Story 3.
blitzben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 12:10
Jenbonjovi
Forum Member

I saw Spirited Away at the cinema years ago, bought it on dvd then didn't watch it again till last year when I thought 'how did you not realise how amazing this is?'
Bought Howls Moving Castle and watched Arrietty that I'd taped from Film4 over Xmas. Think I'll buy another couple this month.
Old 27-01-2013, 12:37
Mark A
Forum Member

Simply the best animation studio in the world. Though I only watch them in Japanese, never the dubs. Though to be fair they do take a lot of time with their dubs and are probably the best at it there is, but I just can't stand them not being in their original language.

Regards

Mark
Mark A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 12:52
blitzben85
Forum Member

Simply the best animation studio in the world. Though I only watch them in Japanese, never the dubs. Though to be fair they do take a lot of time with their dubs and are probably the best at it there is, but I just can't stand them not being in their original language.

Regards

Mark
Liam Neeson did great in Ponyo imo.
blitzben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 14:13
Cracker_Cake
Forum Member

Laputa (Castle in the Sky) and Princess Mononoke are my favourite two Ghlibi movies.
Cracker_Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 14:37
Tfan26
Forum Member

Better than Disney.
Tfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 14:39
Platinum_Rose
Forum Member

I like Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, The Cat Returns, wasn't too fond of Tales from Earthsea or Whisper Of the Heart. Still need to watch more of them, will buy some on DVD
Platinum_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 17:43
Blah123
Forum Member

I adore My Neighbour Totoro
Blah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 20:32
Dombo
Forum Member

Love Ponyo...
Dombo is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 20:43
Takae
Forum Member

Animated films including those by Ghibli usually leave me cold, but I do recognise a good film when I see one.

Top 5 Ghibli films:

1. My Neighbours the Yamadas
2. Spirited Away
3. My Neighbour Totoro
4. Howl's Moving Castle
5. Princess Mononoke

Runner-ups: Kiki's Delivery Service, Grave of the Fireflies and Ponyo.

Edit: I don't always need it, but I prefer subtitles over dub.
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 21:35
Jenbonjovi
Forum Member

[quote=Takae;63904729]Animated films including those by Ghibli usually leave me cold, but I do recognise a good film when I see one.

QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not a fan of animated films either which is why I was so surprised I've enjoyed the few Ghibli films I've seen.
Old 27-01-2013, 21:42
TranceClubber
Forum Member

They know how to make great Animated movies , Spirited Away is my favourite though
TranceClubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 22:39
Fio Montoya
Forum Member

Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, Ponyo and Arietty are all amazing, loved them. I'm happy with the dub, I think they do a great job with it.
Fio Montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 19:43
LollyPants
Forum Member

Howl's Moving Castle is my absolute favourite, followed by Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbour Totoro, then Tales From Earthsea. They're all so wonderful though! I've mostly only seen the in dubs on DVD (apart from Earthsea which we saw in an indie cinema) and I adore Billy Crystal in Howl's!

My husband got my a Totoro onesie for Christmas, it's amazing!

Edited to add that having Tina Fey in Ponyo was also amazing, I'm a massive Fey fangirl!
LollyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 22:13
Jenbonjovi
Forum Member

Howl's Moving Castle is my absolute favourite, followed by Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbour Totoro, then Tales From Earthsea. They're all so wonderful though! I've mostly only seen the in dubs on DVD (apart from Earthsea which we saw in an indie cinema) and I adore Billy Crystal in Howl's!

My husband got my a Totoro onesie for Christmas, it's amazing!

Edited to add that having Tina Fey in Ponyo was also amazing, I'm a massive Fey fangirl!
Who does Billy Crystal do? Howl? My dvd player has no remote control so I can't see any extras and I keep missing the end credits cos I fall asleep!
Old 28-01-2013, 22:21
Rincewind78
Forum Member

Who does Billy Crystal do? Howl? My dvd player has no remote control so I can't see any extras and I keep missing the end credits cos I fall asleep!
he was the voice of the little fire

all Ghibli movies I love very much and each have their own qualities. only Earthsea I wasnt so keen on,

Spirited Away will always have a special place in my heart!!! one of those special all time movies to me

My Neighbour Totoro is awesome in a similar way also
Rincewind78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 22:28
Jenbonjovi
Forum Member

he was the voice of the little fire

all Ghibli movies I love very much and each have their own qualities. only Earthsea I wasnt so keen on,

Spirited Away will always have a special place in my heart!!! one of those special all time movies to me

My Neighbour Totoro is awesome in a similar way also
Ah, so he is!
I'm going to order My Neighbour Totoro from Amazon I think.
Old 28-01-2013, 22:55
Blah123
Forum Member

Watched Ponyo for the first time last night. Amazing.
Old 28-01-2013, 23:14
Gazinuk
Forum Member

Laputa - Castle in the sky, the original English dub, not the disney one, as thats how i saw it originally and its the best,
Porco Rosso as its ace!,
neighbour tortoro for gettin me through sick days at school lol it was always on
Gazinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 11:31
JaiJai
Forum Member

So many wonderful movies but my pick for best Ghibli movie is Whisper of the Heart - beautiful and very underated and less well known sadly than the other Ghibli movies.
JaiJai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 22:06
Ginger Nut
Forum Member

I've only seen Spirited Away and parts of Howls Moving Castle. The animation is just first class but personally I find the stories terribly dull and I lose interest. I can only be wowed by the visuals for so long.
Ginger Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 14:02
hsellors
Forum Member

My Ghibli PS3 game got dispatched today so excited to play it!

So many wonderful movies but my pick for best Ghibli movie is Whisper of the Heart - beautiful and very underated and less well known sadly than the other Ghibli movies.
That is a really beuatiful film : )

I love Ghibli films, I'm fascinated at the art work and love the magical yet crazy innocence of them all.

My favourites:
My Neighbour Totoro
Spirited Away
Howls Moving Castle
The Cat Returns
Kiki's Delivery Service
Arietty

I watched Ocean Waves recently but I didn't really think it was that good. When it ended I just thought "was that it?"
hsellors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17
Blah123
Forum Member

Watched Pom Poko last night for the first time - I had never heard of it before this thread but oh my what a lovely little film!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:28
balthasar
Forum Member

Regards

Mark
The dub versions are best avoided, they seem to take you out of the characters .
Laputa is my favourite.
balthasar is offline   Reply With Quote