Options

Livin' La Vida Locked-In Syndrome

21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,517
Forum Member
Probably the most tasteless thing Jason Gardiner has ever spewed on that show.

Even worse than comparing Sharron Davies to "unflushed faecal matter"

Comments

• Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. Now ITV have taken him back be seems to think being offensive is acceptable though.
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not even shocked anymore. Disgraceful comment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    totally tasteless and uncalled for
  • Options
    smurftcsmurftc Posts: 2,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh is that what he said.. didnt hear that..:confused:
  • Options
    cath99cath99 Posts: 6,826
    Forum Member
    I really hope people complain about that. Locked in syndrome is a horrifying condition and should never ever be used as an insult, especially to insult a celeb on a reality tv show.
  • Options
    Patsey10Patsey10 Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Yet another comment where Jason has overstepped the mark of good taste! I for one will be complaining.

http://www.itv.com/contactus/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disgusting comment. Jason is hitting a new low. :mad:
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of order.
  • Options
    kiteflyerkiteflyer Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy is a bore. It's sad that he thinks that the only way he can stay in the minds of people is by ridiculing and/or making controversial comments. He is more to be pitied than anything else.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cath99 wrote: »
    I really hope people complain about that. Locked in syndrome is a horrifying condition and should never ever be used as an insult, especially to insult a celeb on a reality tv show.

Let's hope Mrs Nicklinson heard it and complains.
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Let's hope Mrs Nicklinson heard it and complains.

She must feel awful (if she saw it)! Oh dear, why Jason, why... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She must feel awful (if she saw it)! Oh dear, why Jason, why... :rolleyes:

He's got foot in mouth or fail-to-engage-brain syndrome. Trouble is the stupid things Jason says detract from his often very good and valid comments.
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love dark humour but I certainly don't think a family show like DOI is the place for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    I love dark humour but I certainly don't think a family show like DOI is the place for it.

Totally disagree, the perfect place, adds some spice.

Perhaps this one comment is over the top, but I don't believe he meant it to cause offence to anyone except the skaters.

But you cannot help but feel a huge amount of you would react like this over any small thing he says.
  • Options
    SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, you got my comment removed. I guess it hit a nerve, eh?
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Well, at least he acknowledged that he was in the wrong, I suppose...

Jason Gardiner ‏@officialJasonG
    @lmpartridge my sincerest apologies I meant no offence. But I think its good to bring taboo topics into the open. @madrunkate is my hero!

A pretty lame apology, though. How does saying somebody skated like they had locked-in-syndrome constitute 'bringing a taboo topic into the open'?
  • Options
    SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a taboo topic at all, there has been much discussion, especially recently, with new research showing that some locked in patients can be reached by asking them to think about certain activities and measuring their brain activity in answer to questions being put to them.

Jason wasn't discussing it, or raising the profile of such a distressing condition, he was being extremely offensive. I'm glad I didn't see it.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jason tries to describe how he feels a performance went and doesn't engage his brain before doing so. I don't think he's deliberately being insensitive - he just has all the tact of a slug.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Jason tries to describe how he feels a performance went and doesn't engage his brain before doing so. I don't think he's deliberately being insensitive - he just has all the tact of a slug.

I don't think he's intelligent enough to come up with a pun that quickly. I bet he's been trying to come up with something witty on the name Livin' La Vida Loca ever since he heard the song choice. It got people's attention didn't it!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He guy needs to realise one thing.
    A massive boost in ratings didnt happen on his return.More worrying that sounded more like a comment he spent many hours thinking about.

He can tear them apart performance wise and the more he annoys Karen the better because shes the shows Original Princess Tippy Toes but having to resort to comments like that is just so low its basically showing the guy cant get a reaction without digging deeper and deeper.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I've never heard of this syndrome before, so I didn't actually understand Jason's comment at the time. But he deliberately tries to be offensive, so I'm sure there is no low to which he would not stoop.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I don't think he's intelligent enough to come up with a pun that quickly. I bet he's been trying to come up with something witty on the name Livin' La Vida Loca ever since he heard the song choice. It got people's attention didn't it!!

They watch the rehearsals and formulate most of their comments from that, not from the live show. They only adapt their comments if something unplanned happens on the ice, such as someone falling over for a lift not working out as planned.

It was an awful thing to say when so many high-profile cases have been in the media in recent years with heartbreaking stories. All these people have families who care very much - the least Jason can do is make a proper apology (without trying to pathetically justify 'bringing the topic into the open' - it was already in the open, and locked-in syndrome isn't taboo, only the euthanasia debate has any kind of 'taboo' to it). He should also make a donation to a charity which supports those with this distressing syndrome and their families - from his own funds, not from his show fee. THAT would show true repentance, not some 'cod-psychological' excuse about taboo subjects. It was a step too far.

The silly thing is he makes pertinent comments about the skating - he doesn't need the 'gimmick' of being the baddie. The show's viewers aren't dropping off because he wasn't there or being nasty - they're still dropping and he's back! They're dropping because viewers dislike the filler, the interminable ads every 10 minutes, the too-long programme format and the 'twists'.