Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Great British Menu Series 8

Old 18-02-2013, 19:58
fender101
Forum Member

i think we've had this joke before....
we have, but the other one was funnier, it got run over..
fender101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 18-02-2013, 19:59
squadge
Forum Member

aside from the poop, where was the humour in these dishes. Not even mentioned.
squadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:11
Rorschach
Forum Member

They've made the same mistake again. They've put the North East instead of Yorkshire. How silly.
Although Charlie Lakin is embedded as the Head Chef of the Marquis in Alkham in Kent. About at far south as you can get without getting wet.

Yes he was born and raised in Yorkshire, but could they not find a chef working in the North East?
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:15
degsyhufc
Forum Member

It would have been nice if they could have found one. It would be nice if they could find a different chef (or two or three) altogether. Possibly harsh as they are all top chefs.
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:32
Dission
Forum Member

I donīt get why Jason described Collinīs dish as unoriginal and not innovative. I think if anything it was the most innovative of them all given the techniques used and the concept behind. Not much humour though.
Dission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:36
degsyhufc
Forum Member

I think the only humour you could derive from it would be having something that looks like a tomato be something else. It would probably be impressive to most of us if it was plonked down infront of us.

That's about it though.

Steph's had the name but not the thought into the presentation like the other similarly named starter.

The doo doo had the name and appearance to shock and probably raise a wry smile before thinking you have to actually eat it.
Old 19-02-2013, 08:26
Agent Krycek
Forum Member

I think the only humour you could derive from it would be having something that looks like a tomato be something else. It would probably be impressive to most of us if it was plonked down infront of us.

That's about it though.

Steph's had the name but not the thought into the presentation like the other similarly named starter.

The doo doo had the name and appearance to shock and probably raise a wry smile before thinking you have to actually eat it.
Which I wouldn't have done - it was a horrible idea, really awful, and my sense of humour is pretty puerile and childish at the best of times, but that, sounded awful, looked awful and I think he was pretty lucky to get away with a 5, god knows what he's got in store for the rest of the week
Agent Krycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 08:44
MarkBluemel
Forum Member

Regarding the dog t*rd on a plate.

...it was a horrible idea, really awful, ... that, sounded awful, looked awful and I think he was pretty lucky to get away with a 5, god knows what he's got in store for the rest of the week
If I was a guest at a banquet and that was brought to me, I'd be very annoyed indeed. I think Jason was unreasonably tolerant about it - it should have got no points at all!

God help the judges if he gets through to Friday.
MarkBluemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 09:23
saralund
Forum Member

Thought the doggy-doo idea was novel but utterly revolting. I think there would be a rush for the loos at the banquet! I don't think I could have brought myself to even nibble it, especially when what it tasted of was blue cheese. Bleugh!
saralund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 09:28
MR. Macavity
Forum Member

Regarding the dog t*rd on a plate.

If I was a guest at a banquet and that was brought to me, I'd be very annoyed indeed. I think Jason was unreasonably tolerant about it - it should have got no points at all!

God help the judges if he gets through to Friday.
Possibly the worst ever dish on GBM in my view - a lot of the Welsh chefs went through a bit a spell a while back of constantly inflicting Cawl on the rest of the world, but I think this topped that!
MR. Macavity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 09:53
Agent Krycek
Forum Member

Possibly the worst ever dish on GBM in my view - a lot of the Welsh chefs went through a bit a spell a while back of constantly inflicting Cawl on the rest of the world, but I think this topped that!
I'd have rather been served up Johnny Mountain's fish dish from last year then that
Agent Krycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 09:58
apaul
Forum Member

Glynn's turd of pike is also a worst dish contender.
apaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 10:51
MarkBluemel
Forum Member

They've made the same mistake again. They've put the North East instead of Yorkshire. How silly.
Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Kent. The BBC have a weird sense of what is North East.

A former colleague lived on the South Coast and regarded anything above Guildford as "The North" - Kent doesn't even meet this loose criterion.
Old 19-02-2013, 11:11
kingofcakes
Forum Member

Regarding Collin's tomato, he did a similar thing with an apple in his main course last year (making a mousse and then using liquid nitrogren to give it the appearance of a real apple).
kingofcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 11:17
MarkBluemel
Forum Member

Regarding Collin's tomato, he did a similar thing with an apple in his main course last year (making a mousse and then using liquid nitrogren to give it the appearance of a real apple).
ARGH! Liquid bl**dy nitrogen. I hate it!

Were my eyes deceiving me, or was he using bare hands as he lowered his tomatoes into the stuff?
Old 19-02-2013, 12:33
Iphigenia
Forum Member

I thought the mock tomato plate was great, and smileable, if not rib-tickling.

The faeces was not faecetious (ahem) at all. Ludicrous!!
Iphigenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 14:08
rumtruffle
Forum Member

I was bored last night. Not very inspiring. I liked Steph but it seemed a bit like after last year's utter disaster, she was trying far too much?

Some of the fish dishes tonight looked awesome though.
rumtruffle is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 17:50
degsyhufc
Forum Member

Were my eyes deceiving me, or was he using bare hands as he lowered his tomatoes into the stuff?
He had them on sticks. Heston has done pranks where he sprinkles liquid nitrogen onto his hands.
Old 19-02-2013, 19:32
degsyhufc
Forum Member

Witty and playful gets another mention.

It's acually not been too bad. I think Corrigan is so stuffy that he just followed the script and over used the terms.
Old 19-02-2013, 19:41
planets
Forum Member

missed the turd yesterday but just got a flash of it can't believe he served a turd!
planets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 21:30
Collins1965
Forum Member

missed the turd yesterday but just got a flash of it can't believe he served a turd!
It was worth it just to see Jason's face!
Collins1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 22:27
Dission
Forum Member

I really donīt get Jason. He is meant to act as middle man between the judges and the chefs to ensure that the brief is met, yet he is happy to give Collin a 9 or a 10 knowing and admitting that it had no humour whatsoever.

I love Collin, amazing chef and really nice bloke but he is not really hitting the brief here, I feel that he will get to the judges with a very high score in all his dishes with high expectations and the judges will just throw it all away because it doesnīt fit the brief. Surely Jason should be there to ensure that the Chefs are reminded of that, if he gives 9īs and 10īs based solely on gastronomy thatīs gonna make the chefs crash in the judging chamber.
Dission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 02:17
vosne
Forum Member

It was worth it just to see Jason's face!
I thought the turd was excellent..hahahahaaaaaaaaaar
vosne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 08:49
Rorschach
Forum Member

He had them on sticks. Heston has done pranks where he sprinkles liquid nitrogen onto his hands.
That's thanks to the Leidenfrost Effect.

A quick dip in LN is fine, as is dipping a wet finger in hot lead, the danger is if you leave your hand in there too long or you get some on your clothing (as then it's held against your skin and you will burn).
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 09:58
Mr_X_123
Forum Member

I think Jason Atherton is a terrible judge.

And an incredibly dull and boring, and somewhat unpleasant character.

Where is Nigel Haworth? A far better and nicer judge!
Mr_X_123 is offline   Reply With Quote