Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Blu-ray mistake

Old 29-01-2013, 22:30
newbee
Forum Member

Hi there, Sure, I should have consulted here first but I bought a cheap Blu-ray DVD thinking it would at least play on my upscaling DVD player,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wrong, it says 'no disk'
I suppose there isin't a setting I can change?
Maybe time to upgrade

Thanks in advance
newbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-01-2013, 22:34
d'@ve
Forum Member

'Fraid blu-ray discs won't play on a DVD player. None of them, ever.

You can buy a blu-ray player for less than 50 now, by the way... and they will play DVDs and CDs too.
d'@ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 22:41
gomezz
Forum Member

And just to be clear: A Blu_ray player *will* play your existing DVDs (and CDs).
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 22:49
Lumstorm
Forum Member

Also the format is called Blu-Ray or BD for short, not Blu-ray DVD although some supermarket's seem to call them that we never talked about buying films on DVD VHS.
Lumstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 23:12
blackmagic
Forum Member

A Bluray is a Bluray, and a DVD is a DVD. No such thing as a Bluray DVD.

DVD players came out long before Bluray came out; they cannot play Bluray discs.

You WILL need a Bluray player to play a Bluray disc (almost guaranteed it will play DVDs/CDs too).
blackmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 23:24
fmradiotuner1
Forum Member

If you have a PS3 it should work on there to.
fmradiotuner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 23:43
newbee
Forum Member

Anyone reccomend a BD player then? not sure what I would want for connectivity, or internet, I have a cinema system so it will link up with that via HDMI.

Thanks again
Old 30-01-2013, 00:00
webbie
Forum Member

I would recommend Panasonic or Sony.
This is Panasonic's latest entry level one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DM...9503929&sr=8-3
webbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 02:14
evil c
Forum Member

If your TV supports HDMI-CEC buy a Blu-ray player with HDMI-CEC. http://hdmicec.blogspot.co.uk/
evil c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 02:33
slick1two
Forum Member

I would recommend Panasonic or Sony.
This is Panasonic's latest entry level one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DM...9503929&sr=8-3
I have this player. Bought it a couple months ago and it's well worth the price. Calling it entry level doesn't do it justice at all, and its only that cos of the price. Great sound through a home cinema setup, gorgeous picture quality loads of setup features to tinker around with, Internet connectivity with iplayer, YouTube, netflix and other apps available on your TV through the smart tv hub. It's a cracking little player.

I would highly recommend doing it.
slick1two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 21:40
newbee
Forum Member

Hi again, plumped for, Panasonic DMP-BDT120 Black Smart Network Blu-ray Disc Player from Richer sounds, some times I wish I lived close to one of their stores, anyway it's bought and paid for, just need to plug an play I hope.
I know I won't use or utilise all of it's possibilities or as I learn and 'where's the grandson' or who ever makes me realise it's capabilities. What I have in my house just now is just not used to it's capabilities but I love the sound and vision I have just now and if I get my act together I may enhance it!
I think there is a gap in the market for, Arm chair advisors to make the most of 'your home intertainment'
Tell me it's not filled!
Old 02-02-2013, 13:36
newbee
Forum Member

I'm curious, how does something I've written in my last post
become a link such as,

'your home

And now not a link!
Old 02-02-2013, 22:07
newbee
Forum Member

Sorry, "your home" was a link to "you view" when I last cliked into the post, but not now, how does this happen or is it an advertising thing on this site?
Old 03-02-2013, 13:01
emptybox
Forum Member

Sorry, "your home" was a link to "you view" when I last cliked into the post, but not now, how does this happen or is it an advertising thing on this site?
It's a stupid advertising thing on Digital Spy.

Actually, I can't see any of those ad links today, so perhaps they've turned it off?
They were certainly getting loads of complaints about it.
emptybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 14:23
Deacon1972
Forum Member

It's a stupid advertising thing on Digital Spy.

Actually, I can't see any of those ad links today, so perhaps they've turned it off?
They were certainly getting loads of complaints about it.
The ad/links within posts should only be visible when you are logged out and viewing the site, not when you are logged in, that's certainly how it works on all my devices.
Deacon1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 15:18
emptybox
Forum Member

The ad/links within posts should only be visible when you are logged out and viewing the site, not when you are logged in, that's certainly how it works on all my devices.
No, I was seeing them when logged in.
An ad-blocker gets rid of them though seemingly.
But as I say, I don't see them today.
emptybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 20:19
newbee
Forum Member

well the box came to day I just plugged it in and it linked with the Viera connect on the TV, it switched the Onkyo to HDMI2 without me having to do it with the remote, fine I thought but when I switched off the BD it didn't switch back! I had to dig out the TV remote which hasn't seen daylight in ages and hit the AV button and the picture signal from the humax sat box came back, the sound was there as soon as I switched the Onkyo back to HDMI!, is it somehting simple?
It will take me time to get my nose through the instructions, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 22:24
gomezz
Forum Member

I don't think your Humax satellite box supports CEC (aka Viera Link by Panasonic) while your new BD does.

An activity-based universal remote will take care of all your TV and amp switching etc at the press of a button doing all CEC can do and much,much more.
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:13
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

well the box came to day I just plugged it in and it linked with the Viera connect on the TV, it switched the Onkyo to HDMI2 without me having to do it with the remote, fine I thought but when I switched off the BD it didn't switch back! I had to dig out the TV remote which hasn't seen daylight in ages and hit the AV button and the picture signal from the humax sat box came back, the sound was there as soon as I switched the Onkyo back to HDMI!, is it somehting simple?
As gomezz suggested (and I can confirm) there's no CEC on a Humax box, nor on any UK satellite PVR's - but if you connect it to HDMI1 Panasonic TV's do a crude kind of non-CEC auto-switching on HDMI1 only.
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 21:41
newbee
Forum Member

Thanks for the replies, I'll stay with the 'AV switch' back to tv although it ruffles the wife who is futher behind my understanding. I've played one BD, cheap one from Asda, The Flowers of war' sad but no real indication of BD quality, I have HD IN FREESAT but no Idea what to use to show the quality of BD, any BD's out there to justify what i've purchased? please not Avitar! but who knows but you guys out there, know better. May be there is not much difference between BD and upscaled content, I have a TV that shows good HD on freesat, watching 'Silent Witness' just now, shows all the rugged features, can't fail the picture.
I maybe should be looking for BD discs from internet sites, any suggestions for purchase would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and.................further questions!
Old 08-02-2013, 21:39
c00kiemonster72
Forum Member

The Matrix is excellent on BluRay, fantastic picture quality and surround sound, as are the James Bond films, even the old ones.

I know you mention Avatar, but it is worth watching on BluRay

Also for the surround sound, Saving Private Ryan. The HD audio soundtrack will blow you away
c00kiemonster72 is offline   Reply With Quote