Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Firefox prevented site from asking me to install software

Old 30-01-2013, 00:17
amyawake
Forum Member

Hi - I was trying to install Adblock on my Mozilla Firefox browser.
Got a top line on the screen saying Firefox prevented the site from asking me to install the software and had an "allow" I could click on. (I have McAfee protection).

Why would Firefox try and prevent this? Could it be harmful? How do I assess the situation as to whether Adblock would be OK to install?
amyawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 30-01-2013, 00:31
LION8TIGER
Forum Member

Where are you getting Adblock from ? Is it through tools add-ons, search all add-ons. If so it should be safe. maybe it is McAfee throwing a wobbly.
LION8TIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 00:31
s2k
Forum Member

Its by design. Browser addons are only supposed to be loaded with your consent since some can potentially cause problems.

You should only download addons from the Mozilla site (via the addons menu). Its worth reading the reviews too.
s2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 00:50
amyawake
Forum Member

Thanks for the info.
amyawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 01:40
DJGM
Forum Member

If you're installing AdBlock Plus from the official website (adblockplus.org) it's perfectly safe to continue to install it.

Firefox (and other similar Mozilla based browsers) have a default setting that disallows add-ons to be installed from
any 3rd party source outside the official Mozilla Add-ons repository, unless you specifically allow it to install via
the Allow add-on prompt. Some 3rd party add-ons can cause problems, but this is thankfully quite rare.

If you're ever asked to pay for a Mozilla add-on (other than a voluntary donation to the developers) DO NOT pay!
DJGM is offline   Reply With Quote