Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Just requested MAC code from AOL

Old 30-01-2013, 23:10
kandrews8098
Forum Member

I have been a happy AOL customer with only 1 issue over 12 years of service from dial up to broadband including several house moves and paying 10.31/month for unlimited downloads receiving around 5.5meg downloads. But because I now require faster speeds with a wii, xbox & pc all set up to use love-film, sky-go & bbciplayer. Have i done the right thing requesting a MAC code from AOL? They did offer fibre for 28.99 for 6month inc line rental from TalkTalk but then increasing to 36.99. I was considering switching to plus net.. should I continue or stick with AOL/Talk Talk
kandrews8098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 31-01-2013, 00:11
DJGM
Forum Member

Nah, go with Plusnet I'd say ... AOL UK these days is little more than TalkTalk under a different brandname.
DJGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 00:48
koantemplation
Forum Member

Nah, go with Plusnet I'd say ... AOL UK these days is little more than TalkTalk under a different brandname.
Shh, stop telling people to go to Plusnet. I've just gone with them and it'll end up overloaded.
koantemplation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 01:15
LilyAnna80
Forum Member

Yes - go to Plus net - I will stay with my BB supplier = faster speeds for me
LilyAnna80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 02:53
DJGM
Forum Member

Shh, stop telling people to go to Plusnet. I've just gone with them and it'll end up overloaded.
I think all ISP's have an unavoidable tendency to over-subscribe their network capacity to near breaking point these days,
without bothering to upgrade the infrastructure, which eventually pisses their customer base off, and they go elsewhere!

As good as Plusnet (owned by BT) seems to be at the moment, they'll probably go the same way.
DJGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 08:16
tghe-retford
Forum Member

I think all ISP's have an unavoidable tendency to over-subscribe their network capacity to near breaking point these days,
without bothering to upgrade the infrastructure, which eventually pisses their customer base off, and they go elsewhere!

As good as Plusnet (owned by BT) seems to be at the moment, they'll probably go the same way.
It's certainly happened with O2 Wholesale to the point where BE are now starting to give warnings out to customers who are downloading a lot of data on congested exchanges.
tghe-retford is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 15:41
kandrews8098
Forum Member

Just a quick update I've still not received my MAC code, although they did say it could take up to 5 working days, I did hope it wouldn't take this long.
Old 31-01-2013, 15:56
mred2000
Forum Member

...receiving around 5.5meg downloads. But because I now require faster speeds with a wii, xbox & pc all set up to use love-film, sky-go & bbciplayer...
Are you sure you're getting 5.5meg download? That's what I have on O2 LLU and it's enough for the 2 PCs, Xbox, PS3 and iPad we have for various online gaming/Netflix/LoveFilm/TVC/iPlayer shenanigans... Any 3 of those at the same time most nights.
mred2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 17:37
kandrews8098
Forum Member

Are you sure you're getting 5.5meg download? That's what I have on O2 LLU and it's enough for the 2 PCs, Xbox, PS3 and iPad we have for various online gaming/Netflix/LoveFilm/TVC/iPlayer shenanigans... Any 3 of those at the same time most nights.
based on my samknows ofcom report-card my speeds over the past month are..

4.20Mbps Min
5.88Mbps Max

I've just been watching a program on skygo(xbox wired)
and 1 of the kids upstairs started watching bbc iplayer using the wii, and another using an android tablet(unsure what for). The program on skygo started to buffer. Having stopped BBC iplayer on the wii the buffering on skygo stopped. It doesn't help that I have 2 smart phones and 2 pc's also although these weren't turned on at the time.
Old 31-01-2013, 19:41
Resonance
Forum Member

based on my samknows ofcom report-card my speeds over the past month are..

4.20Mbps Min
5.88Mbps Max

I've just been watching a program on skygo(xbox wired)
and 1 of the kids upstairs started watching bbc iplayer using the wii, and another using an android tablet(unsure what for). The program on skygo started to buffer. Having stopped BBC iplayer on the wii the buffering on skygo stopped. It doesn't help that I have 2 smart phones and 2 pc's also although these weren't turned on at the time.
Yes 5Mb is not a lot of you have multiple people streaming. Soon gets used up. You streaming Sky Go is probably using more than half your bandwidth by itself.
Resonance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 00:08
alcockell
Forum Member

Hasn't with Eclipse...

OK - I pay a little more - but they ensure the bandwidth is there...
alcockell is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:34
lesnar01
Forum Member

Just a quick update I've still not received my MAC code, although they did say it could take up to 5 working days, I did hope it wouldn't take this long.
be careful when i requested my mac code to go to there sister company which was talk talk they took 185.22 from my account nice lot aol lol after two weeks i got a refund and my mac code at last
lesnar01 is offline   Reply With Quote