Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Any fans of the Dollars trilogy agree with me on this

Old 31-01-2013, 00:44
quirkyquirk
Forum Member

For A Few Dollars More is better than The Good,The Bad And The Ugly.I like the characters in the latter and some scenes but find it's too long,meandering and dull in parts but the the previous one is my favourite spaghetti western ever.Better characters,plot,everything IMO but very underrated.Most people seem to praise Ugly more.
quirkyquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 31-01-2013, 13:29
yaristaman
Forum Member

Absolutely love them all (Plus OUATITW) but I prefer A Fistful Of Dollars over all the others.

Agree that TGTBATU can drag a bit (particularly the desert scene).
yaristaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 14:25
roger_50
Forum Member

I prefer OUATITW to all 3 of them.

But from the trilogy, yes I probably do enjoy A Few Dollars More to Good/Bad. But to be honest, all 3 are very close to eachother in quality.
roger_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 20:54
TexAveryWolf
Forum Member

HUGE fan of the trilogy, and IMHO, the only trilogy I can think of that ends not only with a better film, but with a masterpiece.

TGTBATU is shot through with a post war european sense of decay and ruin, it's a western road movie through death and dying, but retains a comic edge thanks to Wallachs' Tuco, and his relationship with Blondy.

MORE is a great western, but UGLY is one of the greatest.

But then, there are two types of people in the world my friend...
TexAveryWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 21:01
jamespondo

They're both great, but TGTBATU seems to have the most memorable scenes, characters and set pieces:
[LIST][*]The opening sequece[*]Blondie nearly dying in the desert[*]The old fashioned shootout in the ghost town[*]Escaping the prison camp[*]The blowing up of the bridge[*]The legendary cemetary showdown[/LIST]
You don't really get all that with the other two movies.
jamespondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:54
grimtales1
Forum Member

I agree, you can clearly see Leone refining/polishing his technique through all 3 Dolllars films, which are all great but TGTBATU is the most memorable for me. Same for the music, Fistful is good, Dollars More is even better and TGTBATU's music is just amazing.
grimtales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:07
quirkyquirk
Forum Member

They're both great, but TGTBATU seems to have the most memorable scenes, characters and set pieces:
[LIST][*]The opening sequece[*]Blondie nearly dying in the desert[*]The old fashioned shootout in the ghost town[*]Escaping the prison camp[*]The blowing up of the bridge[*]The legendary cemetary showdown[/LIST]
You don't really get all that with the other two movies.
It just shows how we all have different opinions because some of those reasons you listed why it's so good are some of the reasons why I'm not a big fan of it lol.But I wasn't slating it I just think for some reason the second one is underrated.Whether it's because it's sandwitched in between the original and the most epic one I don't know.I think even the theme music is underrated.I love the use of the Jew's harp in it.
quirkyquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:15
Leviathain
Forum Member

I like a Fistful of Dollars the best.
Leviathain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:30
revolver44
Forum Member

All three are fabulous films, FAFDM has the best music for me, but TGTB&TU is just a masterpiece of film making. The 'Ecstasy Of Gold' scene alone is just phenomenal.
revolver44 is offline   Reply With Quote