Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Resident Evil to get Re-boot?

Old 02-02-2013, 13:18
Prebono
Forum Member

No composite is all i have noway am i paying over 50bucks for a wire

And just dont have mney to spare to be going out and buying a wii
Ah, that's a shame. I'd forgotten how ridiculously expensive those Gamecube component leads became.

The Resi franchise has always sat somewhat uneasily within the Japanese survival horror genre. Silent Hill, Project Zero, Clock Tower et al. emphasise atmosphere over combat. Compare the cover of the original Silent Hill - a grimy portrait of a sickly young woman - with the cover of the original Resi, which looked like something you'd fish out of the bargain bin at Choices. When Resi shifted over to a more combat oriented approach in 4, it really wasn't all that unprecedented - the writing had been on the wall since Code Veronica.

In a way, then, 4 was the height of the series, the full-on action game that the earlier games were always kinda hinting at. Trouble is, now that pretty much every shooter has adopted (and improved upon) its mechanics, the franchise once again feels out of step. I've yet to play 6 but in 5, the controls felt as though I was trying to steer a tractor through a hedge maze. Talk of a reboot is all well and good but what roots are there, exactly, to go back to? Zombie games are dime a dozen nowadays so the two-shufflers-per-room formula would hardly work again.

If anything, I think they should double down and go back to whatever spark of innovation led to 4, see if they can give the genre a shake up all over again.
Prebono is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 02-02-2013, 15:12
biggebruv
Forum Member

I did dl the pc verison thats run of an emulator i have the actuall game before anyone starts about piracy lol

But it gets slowdowns in certain parts and its a pain to sort up the controls

I have a yearold graphics card aswell but still experience these slowdowns
biggebruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 18:33
hartnellchrono
Forum Member

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1788272

Asked this in the above thread, giving an idea of what I would like to see, also resident evil zero was great and had the best way using two characters with the switching between the two.
hartnellchrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 21:44
Dandem
Forum Member

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1788272

Asked this in the above thread, giving an idea of what I would like to see, also resident evil zero was great and had the best way using two characters with the switching between the two.
Resident Evil 0 is somewhat underrated. But I felt Rebecca became somewhat useless once Billy was introduced, since he was able to take more damage, push large objects and was just generally the better combatant (as you'd expect from his character profile). Rebecca was only really good for mixing herbs.

The decision to get rid of Item Chests was idiotic too. Remembering I left that important item miles away was a pain.
Dandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 22:23
bob2005
Forum Member

They should take the series back to it's roots, in my opinion 2 was the best in the series. The games don't have that resi feel anymore.
bob2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:14
Doctorb
Forum Member

I liked the first 3 for the puzzles and exploration, story and easy shooting sections. 4 was ok but it was a step too far towards pleasing the FPS crowd. 5 was just too much for me and proof that the series just morphed into a TPS/FPS. Same happened with Tomb Raider. More shooty, less cerebral.
Doctorb is offline   Reply With Quote