Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

BBC Cuts hit Dr Who on it's 50th Birthday.

Old 01-02-2013, 22:30
kyllerbuzcut
Forum Member

I do rather like the idea of blaming Thatcher for the shortened series last year and this. I'll pop it on the list of things I already blame her for.
It's official then. Chalk another one up to Thatcher

I suppose at least we are getting something, and that is better than nothing, but the problem is we've got used to having lots of doctor who on TV and now it's like we've been robbed of some because it's missing
kyllerbuzcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-02-2013, 22:35
sohoguy
Forum Member

Oh good, yet another thread speculating about the 50th Anniversary and then bitching about it

It's February 1st. The year ends on December 31st. Moffat has already said they want to get the PR for Series 7.2 out of the way before talking about the 50th

I mean, really. This is beyond ridiculous now.
sohoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 22:37
sohoguy
Forum Member

Theoretically the BBC is publicly owned. Until it gets privatised, we technically own it and people are appointed to run it for us.
The public used to 'own' so much until the 80s, when almost anything that wasn't nailed down was privatised to provide tax cuts so the tories could win another election. Lots of people don't think they miss what was sold off, but we have to pay so much more now in taxes etc. because of that. Now any money coming in goes to private companies instead of to the government, so we have to pay more tax to make up the difference. Just one reason why this country is in such a state

And I think if they gave some options it would be more a case of vote for the ones you want to keep. Also, of course 50 million people aren't going to vote.if be surprised if the number that watched the show voted.
No. You don't own it. You pay for it. There's a massive difference.
Old 01-02-2013, 22:51
Pizzatheaction
Forum Member

Surely eight episodes in the spring, one in November, and one at Christmas will be plenty for one calendar year?

Just because we had 14 episodes in 2005, it doesn't mean WE. MUST. HAVE. 14. EPISODES. EVERY. YEAR. OR. WE. WILL. SULK. LIKE. TODDLERS.

Does it?
Pizzatheaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 23:25
DICKENS99
Forum Member

Surely eight episodes in the spring, one in November, and one at Christmas will be plenty for one calendar year?

Just because we had 14 episodes in 2005, it doesn't mean WE. MUST. HAVE. 14. EPISODES. EVERY. YEAR. OR. WE. WILL. SULK. LIKE. TODDLERS.

Does it?
Well I haven't noticed anyone sulking like a toddler so yes, I guess it doesn't mean that. Plenty of people who seem to have a problem with other people not reacting to the show's new schedule in the way they deem appropriate, though.
DICKENS99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 23:47
So 3008
Forum Member

Does it?
We didn't just get 14 episodes in 2005 though did we?

2005 - 14; 2006 - 14; 2007 - 14; 2008 - 14; 2010 - 15; 2011 - 14

then

2012 - 6 and 2013 - a so far confirmed 9

So yes some people are ever so slightly annoyed about the dramatic decrease in episodes (for what ever reason) we have had in the last 12 months; we lost 8 episodes in 2012!
So 3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 23:56
performingmonk
Forum Member

There's no excuse for the show not to be back for another 5 episode run this autumn, followed by the 50th special. It's not as though the BBC don't need it in the schedule, with Merlin ending.
performingmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 00:07
zz9
Forum Member

How exactly are those situations comparable? Unless you somehow think they've signed a contract with the British public to deliver exactly 14 episodes per calendar year...
Clearly there is no "contract". But in that case the BBC should have said "Yes, we're going to spread 13 episodes over two years." If there is no contract then why shouldn't the BBC admit they were going to make fewer episodes over the two years?

Maybe it's to make way, or save money for, some huge thing for the 50th that they're keeping under wraps. Or, if Private Eye were right, it's because the previous producers went way over budget, easy to do on TV or film work. James Cameron went many weeks and millions of dollars over budget for Titanic, as did Spielberg on Jaws.
zz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 00:39
rua is god
Forum Member

OP, have you ever considered writing headlines for the Daily Mail? The title of this thread is very deliberately trying to get people to assume the show has been cut from schedules when all that's happened its the series format has changed about and you are trying to drum up outrage.

Most UK TV dramas run for six episodes a year, eight in an extended run with s Christmas special thrown in. Doctor Who started a trend which only merlin and Robin Hood really followed in 13 and a special a year.

In fact loads of other big dramas only have six or so episodes then have over a year off before the next season. Life on Mars for example, or Sherlock of we are talking very recent.
rua is god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 00:44
rua is god
Forum Member

We didn't just get 14 episodes in 2005 though did we?

2005 - 14; 2006 - 14; 2007 - 14; 2008 - 14; 2010 - 15; 2011 - 14

then

2012 - 6 and 2013 - a so far confirmed 9

So yes some people are ever so slightly annoyed about the dramatic decrease in episodes (for what ever reason) we have had in the last 12 months; we lost 8 episodes in 2012!
I see you skipped 2009, which was a big year for the show and being built up as event TV, how many episodes did we have then?
rua is god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:15
DiscoP
Forum Member

I see you skipped 2009, which was a big year for the show and being built up as event TV, how many episodes did we have then?
Ah, how was 2009 a big year for the show and being built up as event TV. It was a gap year with specials, as everyone knew full well it would be.
DiscoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:36
JCR
Forum Member

Clearly there is no "contract". But in that case the BBC should have said "Yes, we're going to spread 13 episodes over two years." If there is no contract then why shouldn't the BBC admit they were going to make fewer episodes over the two years?

Maybe it's to make way, or save money for, some huge thing for the 50th that they're keeping under wraps. Or, if Private Eye were right, it's because the previous producers went way over budget, easy to do on TV or film work. James Cameron went many weeks and millions of dollars over budget for Titanic, as did Spielberg on Jaws.
Well, because there would be a fan backlash. And if the BBC in any way- I'm speaking hypothetically here- confirmed the Private Eye rumour/story, they'd be saying that the producers, whose job it is to ensure that the show comes in on time and on budget- and were presumably being paid a substantial salary- were incompetent, and as such UK taxpayer money was wasted. The Daily Mail would have a ****ing field day; it'd damage the show.
JCR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:42
So 3008
Forum Member

Well there was a good reason why I didn't include 2009 in a list of years we got 14 episodes of Doctor Who in...

And the 2009 gap year was announced in 2007, two years before it happened, the BBC was totally honest about it and more importantly the BBC didn't reduce the following series by five episodes and claim that The Next Doctor, Planet of the Dead, Waters of Mars and The End of Times were the first five episodes of Series Five!

My reply was nothing to do with the anniversary celebrations or event television, but a reply to a poster that seemed to suggest that the situation we currently find ourselves in was the the norm and that fans are just being greedy expecting more when personally I think it totally reasonable for fans to be a bit peeved that even when you include the very likely 2013 Christmas Special we have still lost 12 episodes over two years! That is one episode off a whole series. At least in 2009 we only lost 10 (if you include End of Time Prt II).
So 3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:02
DiscoP
Forum Member

Well there was a good reason why I didn't include 2009 in a list of years we got 14 episodes of Doctor Who in...

And the 2009 gap year was announced in 2007, two years before it happened, the BBC was totally honest about it and more importantly the BBC didn't reduce the following series by five episodes and claim that The Next Doctor, Planet of the Dead, Waters of Mars and The End of Times were the first five episodes of Series Five!

My reply was nothing to do with the anniversary celebrations or event television, but a reply to a poster that seemed to suggest that the situation we currently find ourselves in was the the norm and that fans are just being greedy expecting more when personally I think it totally reasonable for fans to be a bit peeved that even when you include the very likely 2013 Christmas Special we have still lost 12 episodes over two years! That is one episode off a whole series. At least in 2009 we only lost 10 (if you include End of Time Prt II).
Not only did the BBC clearly announce the gap year but at the same time they also announced the commissioning of a full 13 episode series to air after the gap year. Presumably to stop anyone being concerned about the future of the show. There was no fan backlash, no tabloid headlines. Everything was very well publicised and the audience and fans new exactly what they were getting well in advance. It is quite a different situation to what we currently find ourselves in
DiscoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:17
zz9
Forum Member

Not only did the BBC clearly announce the gap year but at the same time they also announced the commissioning of a full 13 episode series to air after the gap year. Presumably to stop anyone being concerned about the future of the show. There was no fan backlash, no tabloid headlines. Everything was very well publicised and the audience and fans new exactly what they were getting well in advance. It is quite a different situation to what we currently find ourselves in
Exactly. Had they announced it ahead of time there would have been no speculation. Because it leaked out and was half heartedly denied, but then some of it turned out to be true, it led to all sorts of rumours.

It was badly handled. Maybe it leaked out while the BBC were deciding how to announce it?
zz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:42
nebogipfel
Forum Member

Oh good, yet another thread speculating about the 50th Anniversary and then bitching about it

It's February 1st. The year ends on December 31st. Moffat has already said they want to get the PR for Series 7.2 out of the way before talking about the 50th

I mean, really. This is beyond ridiculous now.
The fans are selfish, greedy and demanding? I blame Thatcher.
nebogipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:12
allen_who
Forum Member

I do rather like the idea of blaming Thatcher for the shortened series last year and this. I'll pop it on the list of things I already blame her for.
ha ha... don't forget to blame her for the cancelation of 'shooting stars' too... bloody beeb dimwits are too politically correct these days.... I don't think they'll cancel Dr Who myself... Aliens have rights too.. can you here my beeb dimwits
allen_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:17
mossy2103
Forum Member

I don't think it is likely for the chop either, but it is a slim possibility still, that people with power do want it scrapped..
And there's a greater possibility still, that people with power do want it to continue (as they recognise its popularity and worldwide merchandising power).
mossy2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:37
kyllerbuzcut
Forum Member

Well I hope that is right anyway

Maybe Thatcher will come back and kill off doctor who yet

Its surely not selfish to just want what we've got used to. Like people have said-its like being given the same amount every year then suddenly you don't get that.you are bound to question why, and when the powers that be don't provide an answer it Leeds to all sorts of suspicions. With doctor who on the screen I almost feel like the license fee is worth it, now its a bit like getting short changed. If it was on itv there probably wouldn't be that feeling.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03
Steve9214
Forum Member

Since 2005 there have been enough episodes to now run "in syndication" on repeat channels, and the standards of most episodes is very high.

The BBC is an organisation that is a bit weird and "ad-hoc" so if Moffatt said "we have really good ideas for 15 episodes" I am sure they would make 15.
If he said we can only make 8 good ones - unlike US TV where they have to fill quotas (clip shows !!) - the BBC would only make 8 episodes.

The BBC's strength is it's producers and writers and allowing the creative talent to make the big decisions.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) this means the viewer does not get endless episodes written to a formula by a team of writers, with obvious plot and character continuity errors.
Steve9214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:05
hartnellchrono
Forum Member

At least there will be a special, sorry but bitching about what you cannot change or have is useless, moff and the BBC will do what they have planned no matter how much we gripe.

Now I honestly believe that we will see more than the aniversary this autumn, matt smith said he knows what's happening in the 1st ep of the 2013 series, also I will dig out the issue but I remember reading in dwm in production notes, moff saying they are in production on who longer than ever this year.

They set up a unique take on the companion and a new tardis, so of course we will only have info on 7.2 and hopefully when mid may arrives we will have the trailler for the autumn series which will break end of Oct as last year, 50th in Nov, Xmas special and then second half in march 2014, while the 2014 series is prepped!
hartnellchrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:26
kyllerbuzcut
Forum Member

I can only say I really hope it does work out like that.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:27
sohoguy
Forum Member

Since 2005 there have been enough episodes to now run "in syndication" on repeat channels, and the standards of most episodes is very high.

The BBC is an organisation that is a bit weird and "ad-hoc" so if Moffatt said "we have really good ideas for 15 episodes" I am sure they would make 15.
If he said we can only make 8 good ones - unlike US TV where they have to fill quotas (clip shows !!) - the BBC would only make 8 episodes.

The BBC's strength is it's producers and writers and allowing the creative talent to make the big decisions.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) this means the viewer does not get endless episodes written to a formula by a team of writers, with obvious plot and character continuity errors.
Totally. Which is why we had the 2009 Year of Specials because of various Tennant/RTD desires. Not my favourite thing in the world (I love more Who!) but there we go

And for all we know, Moffat might be writing 20 episodes this year - or more!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:43
Hot Dogg
Forum Member

Oh I really do hope that all of us who think we've been screwed this year, vis-a-vis the number of episodes, are wrong.

I truly do...

I hope SM pulls a wonderful surprise out of the bag.
ie Episodes that we weren't expecting.

Please make us wrong and deliver..

Ok, that's the optimism out of the way.
Bring on the disappointment...
Hot Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:46
DODS11
Forum Member

You've put it so much more perfectly than I ever could have.

I'd rather have quality over quantity, any day.
DODS11 is offline   Reply With Quote