Played Skyrim, would you recommend Oblivion

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
Forum Member
Hi guys/gals,

Really just an opinion call, not a thread of which is better.

Played Skyrim (xbox 360) a lot when it came out and then on and off since release. Really enjoyed it and have been debating for a while now whether to get oblivion and play that.

With the amount of time passed since its release just wanting to know if any of you guys have played Skyrim as your first elder scrolls game and then played oblivion and loved it or struggled with it.

Any recommendations/opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a great game you will enjoy if you liked Skyrim.
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic game but when I went from Skyrim back to Oblivion I go annoyed by the look of the game. Graphics aren't everything for me but they really did look like a big step back (which of course it is) however if you get it on PC there are graphics mods which fix this. I am currently playing the Morroblivion game mod which merges both Morrowind and Oblivion into one big game and it is recommended you get the graphics enhancing mod with it and now they both look awesome.

If you aren't too fussed about graphics though and are only on console I would definitely recommend Oblivion. It is a fantastic game with great plots and quests and the world is massive.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Having played Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion, they are all good.

Morrowind has that lovely murder at the beginning of the game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Not really. The game world is dull (there are only so many bloom-lit green meadows you can meander across before it starts to feel a bit samey), the dungeons follow a handful of templates, the setting and story are standard post-Tolkien fare and the town design seems to have been inspired by the Cotswolds. Oblivion feels like Bethesda's warm-up game this generation, the "look at the shiny graphics!" precursor to the much more interesting Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

I would, on the other hand, wholeheartedly recommend Morrowind. A unique game world that's a pleasure to explore. Plus, it's very distinct from Skyrim - there will be few comparisons, favourable or otherwise, worth making (unlike Oblivion where you'll catch lots of undeveloped shadows of things that Bethesda later improved upon).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Oblivion - found the interface for objects and the levelling up much better than Skyrim.

The graphics in Oblivion were superb for the time and are still absolutely fine.

Buy the game of the Year Edition if you can with Knights of The Nine and Shivered Isle expansions.

It, personally, ate up moer time than Skyrim did for me and seemed to have far moer breadth in the number of missions.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daggerfall

Classic! Still have the PC version in my loft...
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still prefer Oblivion to Skyrim. I found it more immersive and interesting. its still my second fav ever game after fallout 3.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Short answer, yes.

A bit more...

With it being 7 years old now, obviously, graphically it's a bit below par now. But not enough to distract or remove from the gameplay.

There's no crafting and you have to constantly repair your weapons and armour and repair hammers take up a lot of your carryweight early on. You also don't have double enchantments - until you get some sigil stones.
    However, you can create your own spells. "Feather" being a great spell that can be stacked and get you a carry-weight of 1700+ and Night-eye too, I missed them both in Skyrim.

Also some skills can be levelled past 100 and get you extra levels, more health, magicka etc.

The main quest, as with Skyrim, is too short. But I found the guild quests more fun in Oblivion, especially the Dark Brotherhood.

Get the GOTY. Not just for the extra achievements, places to discover and new enemies to fight in the Shivering Isles. But for Sheogoraths screen time. It was far too short in Skyrim and is much funnier in Oblivion too. Also, you'll get a sword called Duskfang/Dawnfang an awesome weapon.

It's a solid game. One of my favourites.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danger Close I pretty much disagree with 'criticism' of Oblivion you have made. (I use the word criticism loosely).

I put it on again this week as I still haven;t finished it...after playing for 243hours.

The graphics are still gorgeous, the skill levelling I prefer, the main quest didn't seem to short for me...although I always tend to go and do lots of side missions in between doing a bit of the main mission.

I do agree with you on the guild quests in Oblivion - those were much better than in Skyrim.

However, we are on the same page generally - it's agreat game.

And Dawnfang is my main non-bow weapon...it's lurrvely.:D
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were on PC I would say yes as the mods are pretty awesome. As your on console, I would say pick it up cheap 2nd hand and you should be fine.
  • SoyokazeSoyokaze Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too preferred Morrowind to Oblivion. The PC version comes with an editor application that allows you to modify the game's environment (add towns, NPC's and such like) and save them as plug-ins that you could share. There was some really good user created content out there, like the unmissable 'Better Heads' plugin which made the characters look much better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oblivion is still the better game imo, If you liked Skyrim, you'll probably love Oblivion.