Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Check your "3" Bills Now !!!

Old 01-02-2013, 17:06
TheRottweiler
Forum Member

Just got my latest bill from 3 on the one plan

to my shock its over 100 when it should have been 40

phoned them up and its all about new years eve, sent a group message wishing everyone a happy new year.3 customer services have told me that if i send a group message to more than 10 people it gets converted to a MMS and these are chargable

after a long chat to a few people they have decided to refund the charges this once as a good will gesture, beware and get checking those bills
TheRottweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-02-2013, 17:14
jabbamk1
Forum Member

phoned them up and its all about new years eve, sent a group message wishing everyone a happy new year.3 customer services have told me that if i send a group message to more than 10 people it gets converted to a MMS and these are chargable

after a long chat to a few people they have decided to refund the charges this once as a good will gesture, beware and get checking those bills
Isn't this standard practice? or am i wrong?
jabbamk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 17:15
Lidtop2013
Forum Member

I never do that so I won't worry lol
Lidtop2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 17:23
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

Sorry can you explain how it cost 60 to send 10 MMS messages? something doesn't add up here, unless there was a hell of a lot of recipients in the 100s.

By the way that's the way a lot of handsets send group SMS or extra long SMS messages that are longer than 3 text messages long, it's the phone that does it not the network.

You can change the behaviour in the messaging settings in 'creation mode'.
Thine Wonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 17:24
PencilBreath
Forum Member

you don't even get a mms allowance with them? for 40 a month
PencilBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 17:26
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

MMS is nearly never included in packages, only O2 charges 3 or 4 SMS messages out of your allowance for them. Most other networks don't include any MMS messages, so you'll pay around 25p each.

But that's what I don't understand, the OP must have sent hundreds.
Old 01-02-2013, 17:42
PencilBreath
Forum Member

o2 payg i get 40 a month.

got the worksweb & simplicity boltons. gadz, sounds like a press on towel.

i have to put in 17.50 a month just for the boltons. don't know if that's good/bad/or meh.
Old 01-02-2013, 17:56
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

o2 payg i get 40 a month.

got the worksweb & simplicity boltons. gadz, sounds like a press on towel.

i have to put in 17.50 a month just for the boltons. don't know if that's good/bad/or meh.
A lot of people with smartphones have no need to send MMS and don't bother with addons as you can send email instead. I never bother.

It is concerning that Android covert group SMS into MMS and also any SMS over 3 SMS messages changes to an MMS.

This is not the phone company's fault. There's a google support thread with pages and pages of people complaining. The phone does warn you, but if you're at a new year party and had a few drinks you probably won't notice.

I still wonder how the OP spent 60, they must have sent 100s of them.
Old 01-02-2013, 17:57
PencilBreath
Forum Member

I used about 3 the last 4 months heavy user lol. everything else whatsapp.
Old 01-02-2013, 18:21
The Lord Lucan
Forum Member

Entire contacts list worth?? Could be it failed to send or retried to send as one or more failed... I'm unsure how Andriod does that side of things but the old Nokia/Erissons used to have a habit if doing that if you sent a heap and it semi failed.
The Lord Lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 18:53
Matt D
Forum Member

MMS is nearly never included in packages, only O2 charges 3 or 4 SMS messages out of your allowance for them. Most other networks don't include any MMS messages, so you'll pay around 25p each.

But that's what I don't understand, the OP must have sent hundreds.
I don't think that O2 does that anymore, not since its tariffs switched to "unlimited texts" a few years ago instead of a fixed amount. 1 MMS = 4 SMS works fine if you have a set limit of SMS, but not if it's "unlimited".
Matt D is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 19:33
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

Oh right, it seems this new year a few people have fallen foul of this. This is the 3rd thread I've seen, 2nd on 3, but there was an Orange one too.
Old 01-02-2013, 20:13
Lidtop2013
Forum Member

as someone else said above theres no need to send an mms, just send an email with the picture(s) in
Lidtop2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:21
gold fire 201
Forum Member

Or use an app called whatsapp for android on three.I use it for sending mass messages, picture messages and videos as its free using the unlimited data.

I do find once you start using things like MMS,picture messaging,etc the bill does build up pretty quickly.
gold fire 201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 00:23
rottweiler
Forum Member

Well I thought text was free ?
How was I supposed to know that if I send 1 text message to my entire phone book it would then send over 100 MMs ???
rottweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:24
DevonBloke
Forum Member

The best thing to do is be a miserable git and don't send anyone anything. I find this costs me nothing. Also they then never buy you presents so you don't have to buy them any either saving you even less
DevonBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:14
jabbamk1
Forum Member

The best thing to do is be a miserable git and don't send anyone anything. I find this costs me nothing. Also they then never buy you presents so you don't have to buy them any either saving you even less
jabbamk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:42
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

Well I thought text was free ?
How was I supposed to know that if I send 1 text message to my entire phone book it would then send over 100 MMs ???
It depends on the settings, you can have it so it warns you but depending on the handset and current settings it may be not not to warn. As I said if you open your test messages up and then go to settings, it's under creation mode.