Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Pentastomida

Old 02-02-2013, 13:20
pmw_hewitt
Forum Member

My dog Teddy has been very ill lately, out of the blue. The vet diagnosed him with a heart murmur and water on the lungs, but the medication failed to help. He barely moves and he can't keep food down. We were starting to consider putting him to sleep as things weren't improving.

Until today, when my dad was again attempting to feed him. It's been about two weeks since he suddenly fell ill, but during this dad noticed something long and black on his tongue - in his attempt to pull it out he encountered a large worm hooked onto him. It's a vile sight.

Upon research we've discovered it's called pentastomida but the information online is fairly vague in terms of symptoms and how to defeat it. We're all a little relieved that maybe all isn't lost for Teddy just yet, but we also aren't really impressed that the vets failed to spot this on numerous occasions.

Anybody have experience with this? Could this be responsible for all of Teddy's problems? Can it be beaten?

Thanks.
pmw_hewitt is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 02-02-2013, 15:51
Muze
Forum Member

I'd speak to your vet, or another vet if you're not happy with the service of the first one.

It could potentially be part of his problem, though if he has one parasite, there's always the chance he has others (eg. lungworm or heartworm)

Sorry I can't be more help, honestly not heard of a tongue worm before, sounds pretty grim.

Hope Teddy starts to recover soon x
Muze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 17:16
molliepops
Forum Member

I have heard of them but many years ago, to be fair they can be living in the nasal cavity or throat if I remember correctly and are hard to find at the best of times.

But if you have any doubt about your vet best to get another opinion just to put your mind at rest IMO.
molliepops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 21:29
pmw_hewitt
Forum Member

Thanks, if you're right and it's rare maybe best to give them the benefit of the doubt, my sister-in-laws step-sister is a vet herself and she had never heard of it.

Within a few hours he had perked up considerably, he ate of his own volition yesterday which is a step in the right direction, but he's still far from 100%, the little information available on the Internet tells us there is always a male and female so a trip to the vets first thing tomorrow so we can get the other fella out I think!

Thanks again. Not pleasant for him at all I'm sure.
Old 03-02-2013, 21:52
bazaar1
Forum Member

Hope he's ok, but be careful trying to de worm yourself, if they hook in you might end up leaving part of them behind :/ vets are never going to know all the parasites, there are so many of them, so lets hope now you've found it your vet can sort it.
bazaar1 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 14:25
Lost_Soul
Forum Member

That sounds awful...any news?
Lost_Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 15:46
pmw_hewitt
Forum Member

The vets had never heard of it! My dad tells me they've send the parasite away for testing because they're not entirely sure how to deal with it. All they know is this parasite is not really seen in England, which makes it even mor baffling how he's got it - he's never been abroad before!

Even so, he actually ate properly today (not just little bits) so the removal of one of the parasites has helped him turn a corner. There's a good chance another is still inside him though.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:11
Lost_Soul
Forum Member

How's Teddy?
Lost_Soul is offline   Reply With Quote