XF: UK vs US - Series 1 - Live Show 8 (Quarter Final)

jackamakkajackamakka Posts: 4,625
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On Wednesday night, a huge shock occured:

"Melanie and Carolynne are in the Bottom Two"

"The act I am sending home is... Carolynne"

And then there were five...

Tonight! It's the Quarter Final of XF: UK vs US! And we had a twist

"Each of the judges will have a partner choose a song for their act to perform"

And our acts will also perform
ABBA vs QUEEN

Fighting for a place in the Semi-Final:
Connor and the Boys & Young Adults
Paige Thomas
Jahmene Douglas
and
Adam Burridge

Steve and the last of the Groups
Union J

and
David, with the final remaining Over
Melanie Masson

Judges, are you ready? Because....

IT'S TIME...

TO FACE...

THE MUSIC...

That's right, I'm bringing it back ;)

Comments

• yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,457
    Forum Member
    Didn't realise it was already six :D

Yeah I'm here.... Hope Melanie is safe tonight :)
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm here tonight and I'm feeling quite nervous since the Final is two shows away and I don't want to be out at this point. :(
  • ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm here. :)

Nervous for my acts tonight but I'm hoping Jahmene, Paige and Adam smash it this evening. I had three in the final five on another game but I'm hoping to go one further this time. Good luck and Good evening to everybody.
  • jackamakkajackamakka Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So after last week's shock elimination of Carolynne Poole, we hope that won't happen again tonight, and neither do any of the judges.

Tonight there will be no Final Showdown, meaning that the act with the lowest public vote will automatically be eliminated.

Going to our first act of the night to tackle his Partner Choice, it's Jahmene Douglas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-mJ_KT9lIc
    Forum Member
    Good Luck everyone - if Melanie is out then I actually have to say I've gone a heck of alot further in this game than I thought I would when I got the Overs - so whatever happens happens :)
    Forum Member
    Jahmene Douglas
    To say that last show was your worst show to date is probably an understatement; however you remained safe in the competition and are back now with alot to prove. I have to say that compared to last show that performance was a million times better and suited you a heck of a lot more. I don't think it was as strong as some of your earlier performances but it was such a bit improvement tonight. The song enabled you to get across your power and tone and also take you down a bit of a retro road. You completely killed the end of the song and I think it was a great opening to the show. I look forward to your second performance this evening and hope it is on par with this one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jahmene, well done for opening the show. Whoever picked this song for you must have a pleasure in musical stuff and I know I do. But either way, what a comeback after the shambles of the last show. That was fun, on point and it looked like that you were back at your best with the soul and the retro style in there for a bit of variety. What a way to start, well done boy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,313
    Forum Member
    All the best everyone I will certainly be watching and voting tonight :)
  • Kuda_KunakaKuda_Kunaka Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guys im really sorry I couldn't be here tonight.. something has come up but I hope to be back for the results
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jahmene, we’d be lying if we didn’t say that the last few weeks have sort of been a disaster for you. However, tonight you are back! That was smooth, sexy and sensational. The vocals were on pointe, the stage production was great and you rocked the stage like the little star you are. This is what has been missing from you in the last few weeks but you have once again found your mojo and it couldn’t have come at a better time. We’re at the semi-final stage now and you have been one of the most consistent acts throughout the competition. I hope the public continue to support you. I’m proud of you tonight. Great opening to the show!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A really positive set of comments for Jahmene considering last show's response. If you want to see Jahmene in the semi-final make sure to vote when lines open!

Next, it's another of the Boys & Young Adults, Mr Adam Burridge, singing a wonderfully arranged Lil number by Lil Wayne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NqZwx9qVJg&list=PL775FED3ECD14640D
    Forum Member
    Adam Burridge
    I saw you were singing Lil Wayne and I thought WTF? however then I heard it was a reworking and I was hoping for another Scream and Shout to happen. However I felt the song didn't really go anywhere and to be honest I was quite bored throughout the whole performance as it didn't really go anywhere. I like you've changed up the style of another song, but I felt the song lacked drive and lacked the wow factor which I really think is needed at this point as there are only 5 acts left. Obviously we've all had songs picked for us tonight and therefore I guess its odd to see someone else's take on an act, however I just don't think that song worked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam, I have been very impressed with how far you have come since the first live show and I should know, since I mentored you before. However I felt a little bit underwhelmed by this choice as yes, it showed your vocal range and ability, but it didn't really go that far. Overall, I found it quite good and it was lovely, but I hope your second song will be much better, Adam.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam Burridge doing Lil Wayne? That was not a sentence I was expecting to say on this show! However, that was an absolutely lovely rendition of a song that you have taken and put your own spin on. Last week, we had some exciting uptempo numbers but this week, we have a slow piano jam that you’re so good at. People can call you dull, people can call you boring but you like to take risks, I like to take risks and that was a lovely rendition. David said the song didn’t go anywhere but I disagree. You’re not the type of artist to go for these high notes etc. It was simple, stylish and effective. It's not always about these massive numbers. That's not you! Great performance. I hope the public continue to support you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the judges were split on Adam's How To Love, but it's all down to the public vote tonight! Make sure you vote for Adam if you want him in the Semi-Final!

Going to our Rock Mama who narrowly avoided elimination last week, it's Melanie Masson with her Partner's Choice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ttYAv0Auw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melanie, I cannot believe that you were in the bottom two because you are one of the strongest singers in the competition. Now taking on one of Aerosmith's songs is never easy, even for rock stars but I gotta tell you, that was smoking, it was pure rock and you showed off your female glamour-rock side to this performance. I really cannot wait for your second performance, I have a great feeling that it could be a major rebound moment for you, Melanie!
    Forum Member
    Melanie Masson
    Melanie! Last of my acts standing and bottom 2 in the last show, I have to say I don't think you were anywhere near the weakest act last week and I hope people vote for you this week. You survived last show and now you've come back and showing us more of a rock edge; allowing the power and tone your voice to really come across. Pingu choose this song for you and gave you the chance to do a different type of song but completely mix it up to suit your more rockier edge. You showed us what a power house singer you are and I'm proud you've come out tonight and really wow us - a brilliant performance from you, I just hope people vote tonight!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melanie, we were all quite shocked last week when you ended up in the Bottom 2. Tonight, there’s obviously no option of that happening again, as the person with the fewest votes leaves straight away. You are a big rock diva, but I was just not feeling this song choice tonight. Parts of it felt quite screechy and you seemed to struggle with the notes. These type of songs are supposed to be your niche and last week gave you the chance to show your rock souls and it left you in the Bottom 2. Tonight, you have done a similar song so I’m a little worried that it might not have connected with the audience. We’re at the Semi-Final and I just don’t feel it was a strong enough performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To make sure Ms Melanie doesn't end up being eliminated tonight, vote for her when the lines are open!

Now to our Top US 2012 Act, will she stay for the Semi-Final? It's Paige Thomas with her Partner Choice Song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv1B_jnYUpQ
    Forum Member
    Paige Thomas
    Paige I really thought you brought it in the last show in a big, big way and you totally deserve to be here at this point. I'm going to be honest with you this evening and say I wasn't totally convinced by that performance and I thought your vocals were swamped a bit by the music until the power part of the song, however after that the second half of the song I felt the same happened. You were swamped by the song and I just felt a little underwhelmed after the two performances in the previous show. You seem to be popular and have remained out of the bottom 2 for a fair few shows now, however I don't know if that was strong enough this evening especially as we're at the quarter finals stage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paige, I really liked you last week as it was your breakthrough with those two performances. However tonight, I think you've take a step back with this song and I didn't think this was a strong performance from you. But that said, whilst I felt that it was a step back, it was still one of your better performances in the competition and I hope you come back stronger with your second song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paige, the queen of the USA. What an absolutely lovely performance! That was just oozing with class. The vocals were top notch, you had soul and you looked like you were loving being on that stage. Paige, that was definitely one of your best performances throughout the whole of the competition and that was absolutely lovely. You are a real ray of sunshine in the competition and you are absolutely fantastic to mentor. Great performance!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The panel wasn't completely convinced by Paige's performance, but if you want the Queen of the USA to be in the Semi-Final, make sure you vote for her when lines are open!

Now to the last remaining group in the competition, it's Union J!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSvNidujTdI
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Josh
    Feelin’ like I got a front row seat to watch everybody be happy
    Can’t even paint a smile on my face, it’s so hard to not complain

JJ
    Gotta try not to say
    O God, what about me
    ‘Cause I know that’s not the way that I’m supposed to be

All
    Get me outta my mind and into Your heart
    It’s not about me, it’s not about me
    So I’m gonna start playin’ my part in Your design
    Now is the time
    Get me outta my mind
    Outta my mind

George
    There's a bigger picture on display and it's starting to come in focus
    Causing me to see to see the ones in need outside my little world

Jaymi
    Gotta try, just to say
    O God, what can I do
    Doesn't matter what it takes, I wanna lead them all to You

All
    Now is the time
    Get me outta my mind
    Outta my mind

George
    If anybody asks me what have I been up to
    This is what I'm gonna say

Josh
    I've been spending my time, outta my mind
    And I'm really lovin’ livin’ this way

JJ
    If anybody asks me what have I been up to
    This is what I'm gonna say

Jaymi
    I've been spending my time, outta my mind
    And I'm really lovin’ livin’ this way

All
    Now is the time
    Get me outta my mind
    Get me outta my mind
    Now is the time
    Get me outta my mind

Jaymi
    Outta my mind
    Forum Member
    Union J
    Welcome back to the competition guys! You've been stuck I think for a few shows in a bit of a weird area and the changing of mentors I don't think has helped you. But saying that you have remained outside of the bottom 2 even when us judges have been less than kind over your performances. I thought this performance had energy and the vocals were good as well; my only criticism is that it sounded slightly messy in the chorus'. Saying that though I think the song worked for you tonight and is a good direction for you to take. Jaymi & Josh's vocals rock; the sheer power in both of your voices is immense. I hope your second song is just as good as this performance.