Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Has The Body of Richard III Been Found?

Old 04-02-2013, 12:40
ribtickle

He's hoping he may get hired by a company who operate with a skeleton staff.

His hopes of getting a council castle are a bit unrealistic though.
ribtickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:42
Casual

I thought there was going to be a link to a Daily Mash article
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:44
MAW
Forum Member

I thought there was going to be a link to a Daily Mash article
I don't think DM reporters go anywhere near Leicester. There are quite a lot of immigrants there, it's too scarey for them.
MAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:45
Casual

I don't think DM reporters go anywhere near Leicester. There are quite a lot of immigrants there, it's too scarey for them.
I meant this http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/

I see they've already done one: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...-2013020458569
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47
Chasing Shadows
Forum Member

You can only trace as far back as records go and then they have to be accurate and even our own census is only as accurate as the people who fill them in.
Why do you think there are no records going back to the fifteenth century? How do you think we know about The Battle of Hastings, the Battle of Stamford Bridge, the War of the Roses, the lives and deaths and issue of every notable person in English (no, world) history going back over a thousand years?

This is a woman who was sister to Edward IV and Richard III, and aunt to Edward V. She was also aunt to Henry Tudor's wife (Elizabeth of York), therefore great-aunt to Henry VIII, so of direct lineage to our current Royal Family. The British Royal Family probably has the most traceable family tree in history - every king and queen (plus their brothers, sisters, wives, husbands, councillors, ladies-in-waiting, best friends, dogs etc) going back to long before William the Conqueror is known, so why on earth do you think that it may be inaccurate?

There's no need to trace back from this Canadian guy and some forms he has filled in, there's no need to disbelieve any claims he is making - just trace forward from Richard, Duke of York, through his children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren and you'll arrive at Michael Ibsen. No doubt about it.
Chasing Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47
patsylimerick
Forum Member

What time and channel is the documentary on tonight?
patsylimerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:48
aggs
Forum Member

Because, as already explained, he is descended from Richard's sister Anne. That's how family trees work - you can see from a family tree who somebody's parents were, and their grandparents, and their great-grandparents etc etc etc. So, trace back far enough from Michael Ibsen's immediate parents (specifically his mother), and you get back to Anne of York, Duchess of Exeter.
I don't think that is actually correct

I don't think he is related to Anne Neville, Richard's wife - but to Anne of York - Richard's sister.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9...ns-begins.html

Dr John Ashdown, a historian and genealogist, tracked down Mr Ibsen's mother, Joy, in Canada in 2005 after identifying her as a direct descendant of Anne of York, the King's oldest sister.
aggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:48
annette kurten
Forum Member

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
annette kurten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:50
aggs
Forum Member

What time and channel is the documentary on tonight?
It's on Channel 4 at 9 o'clock.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:51
Miss XYZ
Forum Member

Some of the posts in the various threads about him today have been hilarious.
Miss XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:53
Chasing Shadows
Forum Member

I don't think that is actually correct

I don't think he is related to Anne Neville, Richard's wife - but to Anne of York - Richard's sister.
Correct. I never said he was related to Anne Neville. He wouldn't have any of Richard's DNA if he was descended from Richard's wife. But because he is descended from Richard's sister, therefore descended from Richard, Duke of York (father of Anne, Richard III and Edward IV), his DNA can be traced to match Richard III's.
Chasing Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:57
stoatie
Forum Member

That's a fairy story, not history, though see above, probably not the Bard's fault.
Given the thread title, I didn't expect historical accuracy to be quite so high on our list of priorities.
stoatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:58
aggs
Forum Member

Correct. I never said he was related to Anne Neville. He wouldn't have any of Richard's DNA if he was descended from Richard's wife. But because he is descended from Richard's sister, therefore descended from Richard, Duke of York (father of Anne, Richard III and Edward IV), his DNA can be traced to match Richard III's.
No ... I thought someone had ... must have mis quoted ... sorry
Ignore me ...
Old 04-02-2013, 13:00
LykkieLi
Forum Member

Richard III bones confirmed...ATOS say`s fit for work..discuss
LOL!
LykkieLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 13:00
patsylimerick
Forum Member

It's on Channel 4 at 9 o'clock.
Thank you! Definitely going to tune in - it sounds fascinating.
patsylimerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 13:03
RepublicOfYorks
Forum Member

Just waiting for Isabel Oakeshott's Sunday Times piece about his supposed run for the leadership of the Conservative Party...
RepublicOfYorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 13:04
tysonstorm
Inactive Member

I wonder if he'll end up on Work Fare in Poundland with the rest of the soulless zombies who work there.
tysonstorm is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 13:04
petertard
Forum Member

He ain't going to Atos, over his dead body.
petertard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 13:06
thapthap
Inactive Member

I only know of two people who are on benefits and both have had them stopped after these work interview thingies that are going on at the moment.

One is a girl I have known for years , who is massively depressed and was sorely dissapointed almost to the point of tears when the world didnt end on Dec 21st, she regularly doses up on about 30million tablets to see what happens and I am certain I will one day pop around to find a corpse.
the other is a bloke with one arm having lost the other in a car crash along with damaging his leg, he was an engineer before hand but has something called a brachial plexus injury - tie in loss of limb with MASSIVE extreme pain in the phantom joint every 15-20 minutes or so and repeat that for (so far) 20 years. I have seen this guy creased up in agony so many times it makes me feel it myself almost :S horrible injury that is.

both have had benefits taken away and classed as fit for work.
I am not horrible but I wouldnt employ either and I like them both, so what they are supposed to do I am unsure.

engineer chap said he isnt bothered about the arm but would do anything to lose the pain.
depressed girl is beyond me to be honest - I am almost certain she is doomed (more so now)

crikey!
thapthap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 13:09
stoatie
Forum Member

Well that's certainly put a downer on things.
stoatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 13:13
Jumbobones
Forum Member

I only know of two people who are on benefits and both have had them stopped after these work interview thingies that are going on at the moment.

One is a girl I have known for years , who is massively depressed and was sorely dissapointed almost to the point of tears when the world didnt end on Dec 21st,
she regularly doses up on about 30million tablets to see what happens and I am certain I will one day pop around to find a corpse.
the other is a bloke with one arm having lost the other in a car crash along with damaging his leg, he was an engineer before hand but has something called a brachial plexus injury - tie in loss of limb with MASSIVE extreme pain in the phantom joint every 15-20 minutes or so and repeat that for (so far) 20 years. I have seen this guy creased up in agony so many times it makes me feel it myself almost :S horrible injury that is.

both have had benefits taken away and classed as fit for work.
I am not horrible but I wouldnt employ either and I like them both, so what they are supposed to do I am unsure.

engineer chap said he isnt bothered about the arm but would do anything to lose the pain.
depressed girl is beyond me to be honest - I am almost certain she is doomed (more so now)

crikey!
I am this miserable and I still have to work
Jumbobones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 13:13
Chris1964
Forum Member

King Richard:
A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse!

Catesby:
Withdraw, my lord; I'll help you to a horse.

King Richard:
Slave! I have set my life upon a cast,
And I will stand the hazard of the die.
Stuff the Bard!

The most relevant statement regarding R3 is:

Oh dear Richard the Third!

Baldrick
22/8/1485
Chris1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 13:16
Chris1964
Forum Member

Actually, if I was the decendant I would apply to the European Court of Human Rights to get my throne back.

Stand a ruddy good chance imo!
Chris1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 13:16
Jumbobones
Forum Member

Well, if he can hold back the tides, he can probably work.

Oh no, that's King Canute
Old 04-02-2013, 13:17
Jumbobones
Forum Member

He could get a job at Fort Knox, turning everything into GOLD

Oh no, that's King midas