Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Using my 3G from iPhone to use iPad in non-wifi places?

Old 04-02-2013, 12:16
PeppermintHippo
Forum Member

Hi all,

I have an iPhone 4S and a Wi-Fi only iPad. I'm wanting to use my iPad on the train where there is no wi-fi connection and have been told this is possible if I 'tether' my iPhone and my iPad together?

This sounds rather complicated to me? Is it possible? Do I need to pay extra (or get extra data allowance or a new contract with my existing iPhone provider?)

Any assistance much appreciated
PeppermintHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-02-2013, 16:39
Anika Hanson
Forum Member

It depends on your service provider. Some providers charge extra and some take it out of your data allowance. I am with O2 and I can tether with no extra charge. I have an android phone and a wifi ipad mini which I tether to my phone. It's a simple process. I haven't used an iPhone for a year so I can't remember how you do it. You would need to go into settings, then cellular data I think and then there should be an option to use your phone as a wifi hotspot. I think Someone with an iPhone can give you clearer instructions.
Anika Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 20:33
Jay-Cee
Forum Member

on the iphone turn on your bluetooth and "Personal Hotspot", You will see it when you open your setting menu. Turn the ipad bluetooth on and just connect the 2 via bluetooth, it should work
Jay-Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 20:50
Dickimuss
Forum Member

on the iphone turn on your bluetooth and "Personal Hotspot", You will see it when you open your setting menu. Turn the ipad bluetooth on and just connect the 2 via bluetooth, it should work
The previous poster is partially correct - but tethering an iPhone to an iPad has nothing to do with Bluetooth. Once you have turned on personal hotspot on on the phone search for a new wireless connection on the iPad. The personal hotspot will come up as a new wireless connection and you connect as you would to any wireless device.
Dickimuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 21:07
Roush
Forum Member

The previous poster is partially correct - but tethering an iPhone to an iPad has nothing to do with Bluetooth. Once you have turned on personal hotspot on on the phone search for a new wireless connection on the iPad. The personal hotspot will come up as a new wireless connection and you connect as you would to any wireless device.
You can also do this via Bluetooth...
Roush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:57
paulj48
Forum Member

You can also do this via Bluetooth...
yes, also an Iphone 3gs and bellow can only tether by USB or Bluetooth, wireless is not an option.
paulj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 15:20
thedrewser
Forum Member

In my experience trying to find the iphone as a network on the iPad doesn't always work (the iphone network doesn't always show up as a network you can join) whereas Blurtooth almost always works fine.
thedrewser is offline   Reply With Quote