Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Rebecca Adlington retires....at 23

Old 05-02-2013, 14:38
LostFool
Forum Member

Well, if she's retiring, I presume she'll be drawing down on her pension?
She won't need to touch that for another 40-odd years. She's not going to be short of TV and media work over the next few years plus there is sure to be an inevitable autobiography.

If anyone should be worried it's Sharon Davies. There's now a younger girl looking for TV work.
LostFool is online now   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-02-2013, 14:50
Glawster2002
Forum Member

Where have I ever said that I don't accept people can disagree with me, I don't rate anything she has done, when compared to others her age she does lack something and maybe she has realised that what she has achieved is the best she will ever do
According to the Wikipedia List of Olympic medalists in swimming (women) All-time medal table 1912-2008 GB's women have only ever won six Gold medals, with Rebecca Adlington winning two of them.

She still holds the 800m World Record, a record that stood for 19 years, and is the first GB swimmer, male or female, to have won two Olympic gold medals since 1908.

She is the most successful British Olympic swimmer for over 100 years and yet you consider her achievements "average" or "third rate" so, in a British context, precisely who do you rate above her in achievements for someone of her age?
Glawster2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 14:55
Glawster2002
Forum Member

She will simply be a z-list zelebrity for the next 40 years.

Every two years she will trot out the old frankie boyle line and sell a story to the press
Really?

I think she will do very nicely for herself. She seems a natural in front of the camera so there will be Commonwealth Games, World Championships, and Olympic Games. swimming coverage every couple of years, plus coaching and personal appearance work.

She won't starve.
Glawster2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 15:00
Alt-F4
Inactive Member

And. What is she going to do now.
Sea world, entertaining visitors
Alt-F4 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 15:00
candyfloss2000
Forum Member

Sea world, entertaining visitors
thats so mean........
candyfloss2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 16:25
jra
Forum Member

Okay, I'll try again. Right, have you ever watched X-Factor and a disgruntled contestant says to the judge "I bet I can do a better job than you could!" ?

It's an empty retort, because the judge isn't putting himself up on the stage and professing to be able to sing. He is only judging the auditionee against people of similar "talent"

Same here. When people say "She is a rubbish swimmer" or "He is a rubbish goalkeeper" then the retort is equally pointless, because the person criticising is only gauging performance against other swimmers / goalkeepers, and as such the opinion is valid.
I sort of get what you are saying, but I am still discombobulated.
jra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 17:17
SherbetLemon
Forum Member

I was surprised to hear this this morning, considering her age, but I'm just reading her website and it says:

Becky aims to achieve her vision through her 'Becky Adlington's SwimStars' initiative, which she has been working on for the last two years. This will involve establishing her learn to swim programs in leisure centres, hotel pools and school pools across the country.

Becky will soon be a fully qualified Level 1 and 2 swimming teacher
Good for her.
SherbetLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 17:27
thefairydandy
Forum Member

Probably achieved more then you'll ever make in your existence
See, Rebecca Adlington aside (I have no idea what her none-swimming achievements are), I HATE that attitude being batted around about sportspeople.

I have achieved a fair few things so far at the age of 24, both socially, career-based and in terms of charity work. Thousands of people do very laudable work every day, but noone is going to sit around allocating medals for what people do because watching me do something very fast at a computer wouldn't be very interesting.

Just because what she does is public doesn't make it more of an achievement (though as I say, I imagine she does a fair bit of worthwhile work herself).
thefairydandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 17:33
Pull2Open
Inactive Member

See, Rebecca Adlington aside (I have no idea what her none-swimming achievements are), I HATE that attitude being batted around about sportspeople.

I have achieved a fair few things so far at the age of 24, both socially, career-based and in terms of charity work. Thousands of people do very laudable work every day, but noone is going to sit around allocating medals for what people do because watching me do something very fast at a computer wouldn't be very interesting.

Just because what she does is public doesn't make it more of an achievement (though as I say, I imagine she does a fair bit of worthwhile work herself).
Not belittling what you do, or indeed what I have done, but I bet she has put in more hours for her skill than we have combined for ours, considering it is likely she has been swimming competitively since before she was 10.
Pull2Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:49
Paradise_Lost
Forum Member

But how many girls/women in RA's particular range of womens' events?
A handful. I don't know off hand. Carlin, Faulkner, and a few others. But you to need to realise it's based on their standard of performance not on a set number of swimmers in a given discipline. If they can swim internationally competitive times they will receive funding. The retirement of Adlington doesn't change the funding dispensation to specific athletes. Last year many male British breaststrokers received funding because we are deep in Men's Breaststroke. Fewer on the women's side because we have little depth there. Though hopefully young Renshaw can kick start our female breastrokers.
Paradise_Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:59
Moony

Love it - sports people call it "retiring", the rest of us call it "getting a new job"
Moony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 19:11
phylo_roadking
Forum Member

This however is where it stops making 100% sense...

The retirement of Adlington doesn't change the funding dispensation to specific athletes.
Of course it doesn't; those who are competitive and are expected to be will still receive funding...

BUT - are you really saying that RA's retirement doesn't free up her funding? Especially in an area where you say we're weak?...

Fewer on the women's side because we have little depth there.
...NO up and coming young talent to be brought on then? Noone on the radar at all??
phylo_roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 21:09
petertard
Forum Member

She's now free to do Strictly followed by Splash.
petertard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 22:44
rfonzo
Forum Member

It was inevitable that she was going to retire, especially as her 800m World record was nearly broken by a 15 year old at last years Olympics. She has been a great ambassador for British swimming and good luck to her.
rfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 22:50
petertard
Forum Member

Yes, Katie Ledecky effectively ended Rebecca Adlington's career.
petertard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 22:54
flashgordon1952
Inactive Member

I si true she has got engaged ? well if she hasnt . i have a feeling she not haveing any problems finding a very suitable guy. she may not be the most beautiful 23 year old in the world but she is a hero to me. and a lovely young lady. By the way my son is 23 also and avalible
flashgordon1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 23:36
bronson
Forum Member

She looks much older than 23....i thought early thirties at least.
bronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 00:12
Rip the TV Eye
Forum Member

Aka, is past her prime. She can't compete with the elite any more so rather than carry on investing a huge amount of time and effort being an also ran, retire as an Olympic medal winner rather than fail to achieve the levels reached at her peak.

Better to go out on top (albeit with a bronze rather than a gold) than desperately trying to cling onto past glories.

Alternatively she could try training harder, use a different coach, tweak her diet to try and be competitive on the world stage again, but perhaps she's already done that and realised her best isn't good enough any more.

I'd love to have been in her situation - be able to retire at only 23 being a World and Olympic champion.

I wish her success in whatever she chooses to do with the rest of her life.
This.

She wants to go into coaching.

I think she's earned it.
Rip the TV Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 00:20
Aarghawasp!
Forum Member

By the next Olympics she'll be 27/28 and while that's still a spring chicken in real life, in the sporting world that's getting on a bit. She'd be competing against folk 10 years younger and at their physical peak.
Aarghawasp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:16
Bio Max
Forum Member

Some pathetic posts on this thread. Have any of you moaners gone out there and won an olympic gold? if not I don't think you can judge her.

She'd be 27 by the next Olympics and she was beaten by a 15 year old in last year's Olympics.

She has brought a lot of attention to the swimming which wasn't there before - all credit to her.
Bio Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:33
Styles
Forum Member

She was not good enough, its like any job, if you can not hack it you have to leave and do something else.
Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:55
TrollHunter
Forum Member

She was not good enough, its like any job, if you can not hack it you have to leave and do something else.
Tell that to the current cabinet
TrollHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:59
Spider Rico
Forum Member

She deserves credit for being honest about her peak having passed. She has more than paid her dues and more than added her name to the British swimming and Olympic history books.

I have nothing but respect for her.
Spider Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:03
Bio Max
Forum Member

I hope you're just trying to wind us up. If not I can't quite see how you think 'not good enough' equates to winning an Olympic gold a few years back...
Bio Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:20
Dusk1983
Forum Member

I could never find two people who are perfectly equal: one will always be more valuable than the other. And many people, as a matter of fact, simply have no value.

― Pentti Linkola
Dusk1983 is offline   Reply With Quote