Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Bullet to the Head

Old 17-02-2013, 01:51
JamesArniston
Forum Member

I've got a Radio Times guide to films which runs into hundreds of pages listing 10s of thousands of films.

I often wonder what happens to the large numbers of films that never get broadcast?

Say, for example you take a relatively 'classic' film like How to Murder Your Wife with Jack Lemon (or any other film that never gets shown)....are there TV companies that have rights to them or do they just lie dormant in some archive somewhere in the hope some company will pick them up sometime?

Just curious (and furious!) about the high rotation of the small number of films that do get shown on TV in this country.
JamesArniston is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-02-2013, 04:03
Tal'shiar
Forum Member

Yes it is very odd. Lots of great films are sort of lost to time because they never get any showing on TV.

Although thanks to services like Netflix and so on, they will have a second chance at life.

Its like how music was very stilted till easy access to music online came about (both legal and illegal), it meant that lots of stuff that was lost to time came back and had a new lease of life. Hopefully TV and film will have this change with them being streamed and such.
Tal'shiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 05:28
juliancarswell
Forum Member

I stand to be corrected but didn't some company (TCM ? ) buy a shed load of classics up a while back and now restricts the showing rights?
YouTube is the best thing since sliced bread for anybody into old/classic movies with more and more being uploaded every day by enthusiasts just like you.
Just make the most of it until the copyright Nazis catch on to it.
juliancarswell is offline   Reply With Quote