Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Science question

Old 05-02-2013, 18:32
River 07
Forum Member

The answer isn't all that important to me, but just something that was in my mind.

A couple of weeks ago I was on a flight. I had a window seat so I could see the propeller of the plane.

The ground was very wet.

When the engines started and the propeller was spinning at a fast speed it was clearing the water on the ground, but when the propeller was at top speed it seemed to have no visible effect on the water. No ripples or waves or anything.

So I guess my question is...
How come when it goes super fast it does't seem to let air through?

Is it maybe that the air does go through but not downwards?
i.e like a windsock.
River 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-02-2013, 18:36
SuperHet
Forum Member

I guess when the propeller is at top speed it's moving more air horizontally, with less air spilling off in the vertical plane.

There's also the fact that the pilot controls the pitch of the prop (i.e. the angle of 'bite' into the air). This is used to ensure the prop is more efficient at different airspeeds).
SuperHet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:47
River 07
Forum Member

I guess when the propeller is at top speed it's moving more air horizontally, with less air spilling off in the vertical plane.

There's also the fact that the pilot controls the pitch of the prop (i.e. the angle of 'bite' into the air). This is used to ensure the prop is more efficient at different airspeeds).
I makes sense now I think about it but it only looked weird because it was really fast when it was still blowing the water. I was surprised that the air would change after that speed.
River 07 is offline   Reply With Quote