Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Disney Confirms Standalone ‘Star Wars’ Films In Between Episodes 7-9

Old 06-02-2013, 00:19
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

Overkill ?

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-stan...release-dates/

I'm all for more Star Wars, but if they're going to flood the market with films, surely it dilutes the impact ?
JasonWatkins is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:05
Sniffle774
Forum Member

Overkill ?

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-stan...release-dates/

I'm all for more Star Wars, but if they're going to flood the market with films, surely it dilutes the impact ?
Depends on the quality I suppose. I suspect they are looking at something akin to the recent "Marvel universe" stories. In that case it's worked IMO. There is plenty of scope to tell a myriad of stories in the SW universe.
Sniffle774 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:02
Johnny Clay
Forum Member

2 - 3 films per year starting with Yoda?

I've got a bad feeling about this.
Johnny Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:06
Bluray
Inactive Member

2 - 3 films per year starting with Yoda?

Hmmm, bad feeling you do have.
Bluray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:19
Metal Mickey
Forum Member

Beat me to it!

I know Disney have to make their money back, and I hope they go The Avengers route, but this approach has "Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure" and "straight to DVD" written all over it...
Metal Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 13:23
Virgil Tracy
Forum Member

I suppose it could work , only I can't help feeling that it will dillute the saga somhow .
Virgil Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 13:26
tasker
Forum Member

See my mate said i was over reacting when i said i didn't like the idea of Disney buying Lucas film.

This is to him

"i told you so"
tasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 13:43
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

Well let me put it out there ..

"Jar Jar Binks : The Early Years"

JasonWatkins is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 13:52
Eddie Badger
Forum Member

Jar Jar and the Seven Ewoks
Eddie Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 14:37
mr muggles
Forum Member

I suppose it could work , only I can't help feeling that it will dillute the saga somhow .
Its already been diluted my friend!
mr muggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 14:40
Big Boy Barry
Forum Member

Creatively, Star Wars is dead.

It's been dead since 1983.

Disney are simply trying to milk the name for all its worth, and they are right to do so. They know each movie will make hundreds of millions of dollars regardless of quality.
Big Boy Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 14:45
megatron_man
Forum Member

Hmmm, bad feeling you do have.

lmao .
megatron_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 14:47
MrSuper
Forum Member

Is there anyone else who isn't remotely interested in the reboot of Star Wars or is it just me? I couldn't care one iota about this.
MrSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 14:49
Big Boy Barry
Forum Member

Is there anyone else who isn't remotely interested in the reboot of Star Wars or is it just me? I couldn't care one iota about this.
For fans of pre-1997 Star Wars who aren't blind faith fanboys who accept anything with "Star Wars" slapped on it, it's just further punishment.

Disney should toss us a bone, and release a remastered version of the unaltered classic trilogy on DVD and Blu-ray

I'd be content with that
Old 06-02-2013, 23:23
treme
Inactive Member

The Star Wars universe is a rich tapestry to work with, and a character driven story against such a backdrop really could be great. They need to just forget about trying to create a two-hour toy commercial though which is what Lucas did with each of the most recent three films. They were dire.
treme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 23:48
mrcynical
Forum Member

Disney are simply trying to milk the name for all its worth, and they are right to do so. They know each movie will make hundreds of millions of dollars regardless of quality.
As is Yoda. He died in Episode 6. Are they going to make The Further Adventures of Dead Yoda?
mrcynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:28
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

For fans of pre-1997 Star Wars who aren't blind faith fanboys who accept anything with "Star Wars" slapped on it, it's just further punishment.

Disney should toss us a bone, and release a remastered version of the unaltered classic trilogy on DVD and Blu-ray

I'd be content with that
Disney probably still have to go through George Lucas, and I'm fairly certain Fox still have distribution rights for the old films...
theonlyweeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:40
Karis
Forum Member

I just don't see where they can go with Yoda. He's really not that interesting or dynamic a character to hold an entire movie.

Plus, he speaks reeeealy strangely...
Karis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:42
Eddie Badger
Forum Member

As is Yoda. He died in Episode 6. Are they going to make The Further Adventures of Dead Yoda?
Or Disney's Adventures of Yoda the Youngling
Eddie Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:21
JaiJai
Forum Member

I wouldn't say creatively Star Wars is dead - if the right director or team came in they could actually make a really good movie hence why I am optimistic with the appointment of JJ Abrams.

So far Disney has made some encouraging strides with Episode 7 so fingers crossed they can pull this off.
JaiJai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 13:22
RebelScum
Forum Member

There is plenty Star Wars out there to satisfy young or old. Some of it is great, some of it isnt. Anyone suggesting it is creatively dead is burrying their head in the sand.

I don't have a problem with Disney making movies in addition to the Episodes. That way people can enjoy or ignore at their own pleasure, just like what has been happening for years with the Clone Wars movie, the tv series and all the EU stuff. I suspect the general public will focus on the Episodes and won't pay much attention to the standalone movies.
RebelScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 13:48
Big Boy Barry
Forum Member

I wouldn't say creatively Star Wars is dead - if the right director or team came in they could actually make a really good movie hence why I am optimistic with the appointment of JJ Abrams.

So far Disney has made some encouraging strides with Episode 7 so fingers crossed they can pull this off.
To make a really good movie in the Star Wars universe first requires two things.

1- Restoration of the original trilogy. All of the changes that Lucas pointlessly added to the trilogy from 1997 onwards should be removed.

2- Decanonisation of the prequels, and the spin-off animated shows based on the Clone Wars. They are terrible, and Star Wars can only progress creatively if they are ignored.

Once both those things are done, Disney can go forward with the sequel trilogy, and then in the future they can make a new and improved prequel trilogy, earning billions.
Old 07-02-2013, 14:22
BlueShift
Forum Member

I'm not enthused about it, but I think if they get a good cast, writer and director they can make more good movies. I would have said the same about doing the X-Men prequel trilogy when that was first announced, but then the first movie was awesome. It is going to be touch to win over diehards who view the originals through rose tinted glasses, but for the average joe movie goer whose kidhood isn't attached to the originals, I think they've got a good chance of doing well.
BlueShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 16:16
Finny Skeleta
Forum Member

To make a really good movie in the Star Wars universe first requires two things.

1- Restoration of the original trilogy. All of the changes that Lucas pointlessly added to the trilogy from 1997 onwards should be removed.

2- Decanonisation of the prequels, and the spin-off animated shows based on the Clone Wars. They are terrible, and Star Wars can only progress creatively if they are ignored.

Once both those things are done, Disney can go forward with the sequel trilogy, and then in the future they can make a new and improved prequel trilogy, earning billions.
I've already done that bit in my mind.

When I was growing up watching the Star Wars films I used to have all these images and ideas in my head when Obi Wan was talking about the old days. Then the prequels came out and seemed to ruin all that.

Then, last year I watched the original (unaltered) trilogy again and I was delighted to find that the mental images conjured up in my mind when Obi Wan tells the stories were the same ones I came up with when I was five years old. They didn't link in any way to the prequel trilogy.

I was very happy.
Finny Skeleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 12:39
CLL Dodge
Forum Member

More on this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22197797

Overkill it is.
CLL Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote