Options

Can you tell me about Lewisham, London

Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
Forum Member
I am considering buying a house in the Lewisham area, not certain exactly where, maybe Ladywell / Hither Green / Lee, it's going to depend on where we find a house we like.

The thing is while there are some obvious positives, quick commute to the City, houses I can actually afford, I don't know anything about the area itself.

Can anyone tell me what it's like right now, I know it used to be pretty rough, but I understand it has calmed down a bit. Is that true?

I'd be really grateful if anyone can tell me what their experience of the place is recently:)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    I am considering buying a house in the Lewisham area, not certain exactly where, maybe Ladywell / Hither Green / Lee, it's going to depend on where we find a house we like.

The thing is while there are some obvious positives, quick commute to the City, houses I can actually afford, I don't know anything about the area itself.

Can anyone tell me what it's like right now, I know it used to be pretty rough, but I understand it has calmed down a bit. Is that true?

I'd be really grateful if anyone can tell me what their experience of the place is recently:)

It's great! I've lived in the area the past 11 years, I'm a professional female with a post graduate degree and I have plenty of friends just like me. In fact, some friends just bought a house in Hither Green they got on a good price and used the extra money to do some extras on the custom work.

It also puts you close to Blackheath which is brilliant for nights / days out without having to go into the city. I am sure you will be happy here!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try not to go there unless I have no choice. Not the nicest area to frequent on any kind of regular basis. Dulwich is nicer for my tastes.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I try not to go there unless I have no choice. Not the nicest area to frequent on any kind of regular basis. Dulwich is nicer for my tastes.

I'm the same though some of the surrounding areas are nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the same though some of the surrounding areas are nice.

Bromley, Beckenham and Upper Sydenham, particularly around the Horniman Museum and Gardens, are nice to go to at times although Bromley is getting much worse will so many bars but Lewisham and Catford are places I try to avoid. I have had too many close calls and know too many folks who have been robbed or mugged.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee is nice. It's just down the road from me and fairly quiet. It's certainly the best of the three areas you have mentioned. My husband reckons it's the best place he has lived.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Bromley, Beckenham and Upper Sydenham, particularly around the Horniman Museum and Gardens, are nice to go to at times although Bromley is getting much worse will so many bars but Lewisham and Catford are places I try to avoid. I have had too many close calls and know too many folks who have been robbed or mugged.

Yes, Bromley and even Chistlehurst are not what they once were but I like Lee, well some of it.

Isn't Charlton supposed to be on the up and up? Not as well connected as Lewisham I suppose.
  • Options
    metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The great thing about Lewisham is the extra big yellow road signs they put up on every other street, they'll help you learn your away around the area.

The signs usually start by saying something along the lines of 'A serious incident occurred on......'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a nice part of london tbh. Certainly wouldn't be my first choice if i was going to relocate. And i avoid walking round there at night if i can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    metanoia wrote: »
    The great thing about Lewisham is the extra big yellow road signs they put up on every other street, they'll help you learn your away around the area.

The signs usually start by saying something along the lines of 'A serious incident occurred on......'

Last I was there I saw one for a violent mugging involving two women and a man vs two attackers and one for a hit and run near a pub.

If they do close Lewisham hospital, a lot more people are going to die from street crime in that area by not being able to get help ASAP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rough place. Not my choice of place to live for sure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth looking at Blackheath, not far from Lewisham but much nicer!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark_E wrote: »

Between the two, Blackheath is MUCH nicer. Some nice pubs there with friendly folks and good food.
  • Options
    Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark_E wrote: »

And A LOT more expensive
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's absolutely horrible. I lived there until I was old enough to get away and I would never go back. There are some roads that are nice in that the houses are well kept, but you will still get the high crime and disgusting behaviour from others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And A LOT more expensive

... but also think of the savings you make by not having to get a new wallet/bank card/phone/bag every few months when a gang of people in wooly hats and puffy jackets start following you before pulling a knife and going "don't scream, fam, or I'll jook you right here... what's your PIN code?"

:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... but also think of the savings you make by not having to get a new wallet/bank card/phone/bag every few months when a gang of people in wooly hats and puffy jackets start following you before pulling a knife and going "don't scream, fam, or I'll jook you right here... what's your PIN code?"

:p

True :D:D
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another who agrees that Lewisham is not that great a place but it does have a good cultural mix. I use to go up - from Beckenham - to get cheap spices and veg in the market and shops.

The trouble is compared with say Dulwich/Blackheath/Beckenham etc it is cheaper but you pay for what you get.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really, all the old bollocks on this thread beggars belief. I've lived in the SE London area F or 25 years. My son and his wife live in Lewisham, we live nearer Eltham. I've never had a problem walking around after dark and neither has anyone I know. None of my friends or family have ever been victims of muggings, robbery or anything like that, The nearest to robbery they've ever had is miniscab drivers trying to rip off my daughter and her mates when they've come out of Venue. Like any area its safe enough if you are sensible and take reasonable precautions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Really, all the old bollocks on this thread beggars belief. I've lived in the SE London area F or 25 years. My son and his wife live in Lewisham, we live nearer Eltham. I've never had a problem walking around after dark and neither has anyone I know. None of my friends or family have ever been victims of muggings, robbery or anything like that, The nearest to robbery they've ever had is miniscab drivers trying to rip off my daughter and her mates when they've come out of Venue. Like any area its safe enough if you are sensible and take reasonable precautions.

I live between Penge and Croydon, hardly millionaire's row. I still steer clear of Lewisham.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member

I agree you need to be sensible, but my mum worked in Lewisham hospital and saw the a&e dept fill with rapes, attacks, druggies etc etc, she's worked in hospitals in Manchester, at kings in London and more, and said it is by far the worst place she worked. She lived in hither green, which is nicer, but could see the riots in Lewisham from her flat, and decided it was time to go. She wouldn't even go to the tesco at the bottom of her block of flats at night due to the risks of a woman alone in that area.
    to the poster who mentioned the hospital closing, your right, there was a report that said they recon there will be a massive increase in mortalities due to the extra commute to other a&es
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewisham has it's problems, but no more do than anywhere else in South London. It also has a lot going for it. Excellent transport links, great access to loads of shops & a thriving market. Greenwich, Canary Wharf & Blackheath on your doorstep - and loads of investment in the area.
    It also has a wealth of gorgeous old Georgian & Edwardian townhouses which will only ever go up in value.
    Whether you'll enjoy living there, I find generally depends on how comfortable you are with multiculturalism. If you have no problem with that, you'll love it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Eltham's on par with lewisham, especially if you're not white
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/two-decades-have-passed-but-the-hate-goes-on-in-eltham-6285108.html

I would stay well shot of that side of london
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Someone said Chislehurst is a bit iffy; I think it's quite nice, but neighbouring Mottingham is a bit dodgy.

For Lewisham, if your pennies can stretch to it, Brockley is nice, along with Honor Oak and Forest Hill.

Bromley's getting dodgy, probably 'cause they're bussing it in on the 208...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had the money to buy it would not be there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being one of the first responders, I was surprised to come back and read all the above. It makes it sound like some horrid place. It baffles me as I have lived around here for 11 years and not seen all this as above, but you must counter-balance that with the generalized British negativity. I have heard the odd story, and certainly the two times I've been mugged were in other parts of London, but it's not nearly as fatalistic as others are making it sound. I mean, if you are going to be living somewhere, it's sensible to go to the place at day and night to get a feel for the neighbourhood. I have a three minute walk to the train station, a view of the whole city as I'm on a hill, and a nice well kept street with quick access to basic shopping. As well as a great local, who could wont for more!?