Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

A bit of a brainteaser - mobile apps and NAS drives

Old 06-02-2013, 18:09
cprelude
Forum Member

Hi all...This scenario is a bit of a puzzler, well, for me anyway! Imagine I have an NAS drive that enables access to the files it stores using an iOS or Android app. Ok, now imagine that my phone or tablet, the device hosting this app has wifi.

OK, now imagine the internet goes down to my house, but the power is still on the and the router is still working.

Can my iphone or iPad, or android device STILL communicate with the NAS drive via the app, since Wifi is still up and running?

For some reason, I can't get my head round this enough to come up with a reliable answer, though I'm sure I will kick myself when one of you guys chips in!

Best wishes,
Paul
cprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-02-2013, 18:16
PencilBreath
Forum Member

try it, unplug the phone line from the router & see what happens.
PencilBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 18:21
Stig
Forum Member

Can my iphone or iPad, or android device STILL communicate with the NAS drive via the app, since Wifi is still up and running?
Yes they will.
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 19:09
whoever,hey
Forum Member

Your phone is only using the network you have made in your home which happens to have a NAS as one of its devices.

You router also has an internet feed into it which is the internet gateway that all your devices use.

Taking my first 2 statements above, the first is totally independent of the 2nd. It works whether there is an internet gateway on the network or not, because all your devices are just talking to each other on your internal home network.
whoever,hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 19:28
bob187
Forum Member

It will depend on how the app works.
If the app connects directly to the NAS, then yes, it should still work.
If the app uses some form of cloud service (in a skydrive / Hamachi VPN type of way) then it won't.
bob187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 20:30
chrisjr
Forum Member

Hi all...This scenario is a bit of a puzzler, well, for me anyway! Imagine I have an NAS drive that enables access to the files it stores using an iOS or Android app. Ok, now imagine that my phone or tablet, the device hosting this app has wifi.

OK, now imagine the internet goes down to my house, but the power is still on the and the router is still working.

For some reason, I can't get my head round this enough to come up with a reliable answer, though I'm sure I will kick myself when one of you guys chips in!

Best wishes,
Paul
What is often called a "router" is actually three devices flying in close formation.

An ADSL Modem
A router
A Network switch

The ADSL modem handles data traffic between your internet service provider and the "router". The Network switch handles data traffic between the devices plugged into the ethernet ports on the back of the router and also on WiFi. The actual router stage interconnects the internet network and your home network and allows data to flow between the two as necessary.

If the internet connection dies then all that goes is the traffic to and from the internet. Any traffic between devices on the network switch part of the "router" carries on regardless. So as both your NAS drive and the WiFi devices are connected to the network switch section they carry on working whether the internet is there or not.
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 21:36
cprelude
Forum Member

Hi all, very many thanks for all your helpful and valuable answers.

Paul
cprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 23:30
Schadenfreud

Just to add my 'yes' to the rest. I have a synology nas and the apps let me connect either through my web service or direct via wi-fi. It remembers the connection history if you require it so that if the net goes down it offers to connect via the ip.
Schadenfreud is offline   Reply With Quote