Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

listening to the TV in the middle of the night

Old 06-02-2013, 19:48
newbee
Forum Member

Hi there, the wife woke me up in the middle of the with the tv sound on, she doesn't sleep well andit's often on all night witht the sound down, can anyone suggest a system for headphones this maybee wireless, I can't use earplugs as I'm sure someone will suggest this!

Thanks in advance
newbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-02-2013, 20:02
chrisjr
Forum Member

I'm obviously missing the bleedin' obvious here but why not just plug a pair of headphones into the telly? Or is the telly one of those with no headphone jack?

Make and model of telly would help work out what you can do.
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 20:36
newbee
Forum Member

Sorry, yeh, you could do this but it is up at the ceiling at the end of the bed, about 3m away, suppose I could get a jacked extentsion and a set of head phones and do it that way, no wires would be better.
newbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 20:44
howardl
Forum Member

Even with headphones , you'll hear some audio leakage,
at night, trying to sleep it will sound loud.

Tell her not to be so inconsiderate and go to the living room!
howardl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 20:50
chrisjr
Forum Member

Wireless headphones are available. From cheap and nasty up to WTF! prices Only potential problem is the base unit will need mains power. So that may be a factor, but if you can overcome that then they will plug into the headphone jack just like corded headphones.

Of course if the headphones mute the TV speakers when plugged in that could be a pain if you do both want to listen. You could drive two sets of wireless headphones from the same base unit but a bit anti social (or not as the case may be ). Otherwise you may need to find an alternative audio output. If not a set of phono sockets then perhaps a SCART socket and adapter.

The wireless headphones will work with such outputs just as well as from a headphone jack so no issue there. And they should have volume controls on the headphones so having a fixed level output from the TV SCART/phonos is not an issue either.

Personally I have a soft spot for Sennheiser. never heard a bad pair from them. Though they are not the cheapest wireless devices you can get. For example

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-W.../dp/B005SO0OD6
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 13:01
Mr Applebee
Forum Member

You'll be better off with wireless, just make sure they are closed cup headphones, open backed ones will leak a ton of sound.
Mr Applebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 23:27
zwixxx
Forum Member

(1) sleep in separate rooms
(2) there ARE quite a few different types of ear plugs, are they all a non-starter with you - have you tried those workman total ear covering things workmen with big drills use ?
(3) did she turn up the volume cos she wanted you to wake up and .......
zwixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 18:37
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

Does she wake you up with the TV every night or was it only a one-off? How about sleeping in a separate room?
cnbcwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 20:20
loracan
Forum Member

Tell her to start reading, lot more conducive to sleep and a heck of a less chance of disturbing you!
loracan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 20:45
zwixxx
Forum Member

If she's awake and bored, rather than watching tv, couldn't she go bake you a pie. ?
zwixxx is offline   Reply With Quote