Old 07-02-2013, 13:01
Tadpole
Forum Member

LibreOffice 4 is out, for Windows, Mac and Linux

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Announcement:
http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2...breoffice-4-0/
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 07-02-2013, 13:43
flagpole
Inactive Member

thanks
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 14:42
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

Just downloaded it onto my Macbook Air. So far I like it. I'm glad it doesn't have that bloody ribbon interface. I use M$ Office 2008 on my Macbook Pro though.
cnbcwatcher is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 14:49
Tadpole
Forum Member

I think LibreOffice (and OpenOffice) require Java for full functionality, these dependencies could end up scaring people away from both products until Oracle/Sun get sort out Java's security. Java 7 Update 13 appears to fix quite a few things but it's not clear if it fixes everything yet.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 15:12
MassiveDynamics
Forum Member

I think LibreOffice (and OpenOffice) require Java for full functionality, these dependencies could end up scaring people away from both products until Oracle/Sun get sort out Java's security. Java 7 Update 13 appears to fix quite a few things but it's not clear if it fixes everything yet.
Yes, count me as one of those people

I removed LibreOffice 3 when Calc trashed an XLSX so badly that only Calc could re-open it - Excel, Polaris Office, Numbers all refused.
MassiveDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 15:16
noise747
Forum Member

I got 3..6, I wonder if it is worth bothering to upgrade?

As for java, people worry too much. they don't panic with all the security holes internet Exploder have had over the years.
noise747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 15:24
MassiveDynamics
Forum Member

I got 3..6, I wonder if it is worth bothering to upgrade?

As for java, people worry too much. they don't panic with all the security holes internet Exploder have had over the years.
I had it installed on a Mac so what is this IE you talk of
Old 07-02-2013, 15:37
Robertfltn
Forum Member

Anybody tried installing the Firefox personas? The lighter ones really make it look good but the dark ones obscure the menu colours.
Robertfltn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 15:43
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

You don't want to know, believe me All I know is that it's a Micro$oft product and should be approached at your peril.
Old 07-02-2013, 16:01
neo_wales
Forum Member

Its a great little programme and certainly worth having on your netbook/No2 machine sort of thing.
neo_wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 17:46
barky99
Forum Member

not much in it uses java & what there is there is to be removed sometime soon ... BUT java is really just a security problem when using its browser plugin, so long as that's disabled all should be reasonably OK
barky99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 18:20
MassiveDynamics
Forum Member

I know Base needs Java, does anybody know what else it is used for in LibreOffice?
Old 07-02-2013, 18:25
Esot-eric
Forum Member

AFAIK it's only Base and the Wizards that still have Java dependancies.
Esot-eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 18:48
s2k
Forum Member

Yes, count me as one of those people
Me too. Havent bothered with Java at all on my new build and dont really feel like I'm missing out. Office 2010 Starter seems much more elegant under a Vista/7/8 machine too.

I do have a crappy old laptop running Linux that I use for tinkering, so will update it on there if its supported on my distro or whatever.
s2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:51
lettice
Forum Member

Thanks for the update, would not have seen this otherwise.
Installed on W7 ok, but had to uninstall 3.5 first.
But, it will not install at all on W8 for two machines I have. It crashes the installer. Tried uninstalling the previous version and it still crashes.
lettice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:55
anniebrion
Inactive Member

It works perfectly well with Java v8
anniebrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:16
noise747
Forum Member

just something I heard about and have to disable on my computer.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:17
noise747
Forum Member

Anybody tried installing the Firefox personas? The lighter ones really make it look good but the dark ones obscure the menu colours.
Why? i prefer it as it is or as it was. Have they been mucking around with crap like that?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:20
noise747
Forum Member

Me too. Havent bothered with Java at all on my new build and dont really feel like I'm missing out. Office 2010 Starter seems much more elegant under a Vista/7/8 machine too.

I do have a crappy old laptop running Linux that I use for tinkering, so will update it on there if its supported on my distro or whatever.
A lot more money goes into producing Office 2010 and you pay more for it normally.

For most people at home something like Libre will do just fine. I got office 2000 and never updated after that, no point when I can get something that does what I want for free.
Old 08-02-2013, 13:21
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

A lot more money goes into producing Office 2010 and you pay more for it normally.

For most people at home something like Libre will do just fine. I got office 2000 and never updated after that, no point when I can get something that does what I want for free.
Office 2000 was good. In fact I reckon the last decent version of MS Office for Windows was 2003. 2007 and 2010 are awful because of that bloody ribbon interface. I'd like to get that ribbon and wrap it around the neck of whoever made it. LibreOffice is just as good and it reads those annoying docx files some people insist on sending me.
Old 08-02-2013, 14:19
MassiveDynamics
Forum Member

just something I heard about and have to disable on my computer.
Me too

I never touch it now that we have the EU Browser Choice thing which saves me manually downloading Firefox & Chrome.

I only tried LibreOffice for Mac as I have Office 2010 on my PC's and didn't want to fork out for Office 2011 for Mac.
Old 08-02-2013, 14:43
lettice
Forum Member

Me too

I never touch it now that we have the EU Browser Choice thing which saves me manually downloading Firefox & Chrome.

I only tried LibreOffice for Mac as I have Office 2010 on my PC's and didn't want to fork out for Office 2011 for Mac.
I remember that, but it disappeared for the W8 upgrades, it came with IE and no choice. Mind Ive ditched IE and using good old Firefox.
lettice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 15:16
MassiveDynamics
Forum Member

I remember that, but it disappeared for the W8 upgrades, it came with IE and no choice. Mind Ive ditched IE and using good old Firefox.
I thought it was W7 SP1 that 'forgot' it and now Microsoft are facing big fines from the EU.

I'm sure I got a browser choice screen when I installed W8, it was part of the first Windows Update I did.

EDIT: I tried downloading LibreOffice 4 for Windows and keep getting an error message about a corrupt CAB file part way through the install, I tried using a different mirror site - same result. I am wondering if it is a Virgin Media download issue or my anti-virus.
Old 08-02-2013, 19:31
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

Me too

I have to write about that for EU Competition Law and give a presentation on it I'm going to go there with a Mac in my hand and wear my black turtleneck
Old 08-02-2013, 19:34
MassiveDynamics
Forum Member

I have to write about that for EU Competition Law and give a presentation on it I'm going to go there with a Mac in my hand and wear my black turtleneck
RDF only works if you are going bald