Options

Too old for radio 1, too young for radio 2

andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok so anyone who feels radio 1 and 2 isn't for them what do you listen to instead?

Why are these stations not for you? Wish they were or is it a decision to listen elsewhere irrespective of the output?

Comments

• Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both stations have
    [a] too much chat
    personalities who ' think they are good DJs '
  • Options
    darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so anyone who feels radio 1 and 2 isn't for them what do you listen to instead?

Why are these stations not for you? Wish they were or is it a decision to listen elsewhere irrespective of the output?

I listen to radio 1, I'm mid 30s but I don't feel too old for it. This morning for example, Grimmy's mixtape had mostly loads of late 90s/early 00s dance in it, from my going-out era, so felt perfectly on target for me!

R2 I feel way too young for though, my mother listens to that and she's in her mid 60s.
  • Options
    Biker JeffBiker Jeff Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stuck with R1 right up until i was about 38, then i started feeling far too old for it, i was also feeling out of touch with the music.
    So i naturally migrated to R2, but there's still a lot on there i dont like. Especially Steve Wright.
    Now its only DAB stations for me. Planet Rock, Classic Rock, Absolute 80's/90's, Smooth 70's, LBC...... in fact DAB has really upped my radio listening time.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah thought the name rang a bell.
    On another thread recently yo said you like Real XS which sounds like it plays Classic Rock (AC/DC).
    Radio 2 can surprise does play some classic Rock, maybe as an AC/DC.person, you see Bon Jovi as a little soft. but the Radio 2 had a Bon Jovi day and live concert recently.
    Maybe your not to old for Radio 2, just your music tastes re not broad enough. Radio 2 caters for people from 30-110.
    Daytime it aims at a average 55 year old, but plays stuff that some 30 year olds would like. On the other hand, my dad late 70's might like a track and a 30 year old will not like it,
    Lucky if your in Manchester Area with Real XS, XFM you have more options than most ares for commercial radio. Some of which targets 30 somethings. Isn't Smooth, Capital, Key 103 and Real on FM as well.
    Here we have Heart,
    Sp radio 2 becomes default choice om FM.
    DAB is better, but drains batteries (useless for portable radio at work) and not in enough cars.
    BBC cannot cater for everyone all the time, but caters for everyone some of the time.
  • Options
    scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 42 and feel like Radio 1 is aimed at youngsters and Radio 2 is aimed at the pipe and slippers brigade. Good job there's plenty of choice out there now on DAB and the Internet.

:) Mark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's still some stuff i listen to on R2.... Ken Bruce is ok and i especially like Popmaster. I also listen to Jeremy Vine depending on what the subject is. Tony Blackburn POTP on Saturday.
    But i certainly couldn't listen to R2 all day, every day.... like i used to with R1.
  • Options
    didasdidas Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    6 Music!
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    didas wrote: »
    6 Music!

I love 6music. Adam and joe, Stephen merchant, Russell brand etc.
    I just wish that presenters would stick around more.
  • Options
    ahall41116ahall41116 Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I agree
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah thought the name rang a bell.
    On another thread recently yo said you like Real XS which sounds like it plays Classic Rock (AC/DC).
    Radio 2 can surprise does play some classic Rock, maybe as an AC/DC.person, you see Bon Jovi as a little soft. but the Radio 2 had a Bon Jovi day and live concert recently.
    Maybe your not to old for Radio 2, just your music tastes re not broad enough. Radio 2 caters for people from 30-110.
    Daytime it aims at a average 55 year old, but plays stuff that some 30 year olds would like. On the other hand, my dad late 70's might like a track and a 30 year old will not like it,
    Lucky if your in Manchester Area with Real XS, XFM you have more options than most ares for commercial radio. Some of which targets 30 somethings. Isn't Smooth, Capital, Key 103 and Real on FM as well.
    Here we have Heart,
    Sp radio 2 becomes default choice om FM.
    DAB is better, but drains batteries (useless for portable radio at work) and not in enough cars.
    BBC cannot cater for everyone all the time, but caters for everyone some of the time.

Bon jovi is my mum's music, I spent most of my childhood being treated to/ tortured by their music. I like real xs as the classic end of rock is like comfortable slippers to me, I am more of a britpop/post punk/indie sort of person, plus the dj's make me laugh, especially mike Sweeney and dewsbury, I didn't expect to like Sweeney as I remember him from the days my dad used to tune into picadilly 1152 gold. We have a lot of stations here, capital is bog standard as it is anywhere, key 103 is a little bit better, real is again standard as it is elsewhere (when I listen at drivetime they seem to advertise a lot, especially sky tv at the moment) tower fm is our nearest station, but doesn't cover a huge area.
    Xfm is not as good as it was, an unusual one we have is the revolution, the station Steve penk bought, anyone from up north that is between about 28 and 50 remembers him, back in the days that key 103 had Manchester covered in terms of audience they had Steve penk on breakfast and he was awesome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biker Jeff wrote: »
    I stuck with R1 right up until i was about 38, then i started feeling far too old for it, i was also feeling out of touch with the music.
    So i naturally migrated to R2, but there's still a lot on there i dont like. Especially Steve Wright.
    Now its only DAB stations for me. Planet Rock, Classic Rock, Absolute 80's/90's, Smooth 70's, LBC...... in fact DAB has really upped my radio listening time.

I did something similar, I joined digitalspy in 05 and was working somewhere that was selling freeview boxes (I worked doing the returns) and radio was a bit naff, I enjoyed q, kerrang and 6 music. I got a dab hifi in 08 and I really enjoy a few stations, can't justify the 3 figure of a dab stereo upgrade in a y reg focus though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biker Jeff wrote: »
    There's still some stuff i listen to on R2.... Ken Bruce is ok and i especially like Popmaster. I also listen to Jeremy Vine depending on what the subject is. Tony Blackburn POTP on Saturday.
    But i certainly couldn't listen to R2 all day, every day.... like i used to with R1.
    Potp I heard for the first time 3 weeks ago at Manchester arndale market of all places, I was passing through and saw a barbers and went in for my haircut, they were playing late 80s stuff so stock Aiken waterman era. Great chat with the barber as he obviously had equally vivid memories of that time, a surprisingly pleasant listen.

I won't ever be a radio 2 listener full time, not by a long shot but hopefully they will have an early 90s episode with some less well known hits that were forgotten
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did something similar, I joined digitalspy in 05 and was working somewhere that was selling freeview boxes (I worked doing the returns) and radio was a bit naff, I enjoyed q, kerrang and 6 music. I got a dab hifi in 08 and I really enjoy a few stations, can't justify the 3 figure of a dab stereo upgrade in a y reg focus though

I bought a new Focus a couple of years ago, that has a DAB radio as standard. Now i have so much choice of different stations and different music, that i dont even have my CD's in the car anymore.
    I totally recommend having a DAB radio fitted in a car.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely 6Music for shows like Marc Riley, Gideon Coe, Tom Ravenscroft, Cerys Matthews and Stuart MacConie.
  • Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said in another thread a few months ago that at age 21 I already feel that Radio 1 is generally too young-sounding. I'm not into One Direction/Justin Bieber and had never even heard of Dan & Phil before they started their show.

I have listened to bits of Jeremy Vine's show on my lunch break at work and Dave Pearce's show on Saturday nights but other than that I don't generally listen to Radio 2.

I like the idea of a "Radio 1.5" which has been mentioned on here before!
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    6 Music is the best choice for someone in that position
  • Options
    SmartTIIamSmartTIIam Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    I used to listen to Radios 1, 2, 4 and the local gold station when younger though I got into talk radio when talkradio started. Then I got into LBC, now I like to listen to talk radio from other countries.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 29 and hardly ever listen to R1, especially since Moyles left. I don't mind R2, but couldn't listen to it all the time. I tend to switch between Absolute (and A90/00's), 6 Music, Real NW, plus 5Live and occasionally TalkSport for sport coverage.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,250
    Forum Member
    I'm in the same boat so pick and choose. I don't think it is good to let yourself 'give up' on the latest sounds - even if it is just to say what you think of the artists.

Trouble is Radio 2 DJ's are bordering on unlistenable. Chris Evans when he started was trying hard to keep the Wogan listeners but now he is getting painful at times and so I too am looking for something new. Shame I don't have DAB so I am stick with Radio 2 or some other station with bad adverts on the radio alarm.
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This the reason Radio 1 will never successfully lower it's listening age: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a456255/radio-1-boss-public-is-tired-of-top-40-and-guitar-music-will-rise-again.html
    It's still obsessed with Guitar music and gagging for it to come back. Thus aiming itself at cash-rich festival going thirty somethings rather than pop loving teens who will, if they listen to radio, be tuning into Kiss and Capital.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio 2 isn't too old for anyone. I think they give a mix a for all ages.
  • Options
    scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been listening to BBC 6Music on DAB a lot lately after everyone recommending it all over the forum. I'm enjoying the music, a nice selection of new, old and obscure, but what is it with BBC presenters enjoying the sound of their own voices so much?

I feel that it fills the gap between R1 and R2, and if the presenters shut up a bit I may actually stay tuned to this station for a while.

:) Mark
  • Options
    StuBStuB Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm starting to feel like I might be falling into this category.

The R1 DJs are starting to sound more and more vapid (a sure sign that I'm getting too old for their target) but I'm still interested in listening to the newer pop, r'n'b and guitar lead music on offer.

R2 seems too old, do they ever play Skrillex or Jay-Z etc? Every time I've listened the music is too much based in the past.

Where do us R1.5ers get covered in the BBC radio stations? :confused:
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scooby1970 wrote: »
    I've been listening to BBC 6Music on DAB a lot lately after everyone recommending it all over the forum. I'm enjoying the music, a nice selection of new, old and obscure, but what is it with BBC presenters enjoying the sound of their own voices so much?

Not sure whether it's because they talk for longer or they talk faster, but 6Music presenters sure like to talk a lot.

Lauren Laverne's first link yesterday morning was only (!) two-and-a-half minutes long but it sounded a lot longer. Talking loud and saying nothing, as the song goes.
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Not sure whether it's because they talk for longer or they talk faster, but 6Music presenters sure like to talk a lot.
    I have this problem with all BBC stations.They seem to talk just for the sake of it. Radio 1's insistence on reading messages from listeners drives me crazy. I really don't want to know that Claire in Cleethorpes is doing the ironing whilst listening to the show!