Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Ubuntu 12.10 install problem

Old 09-02-2013, 13:15
Phil Owens
Forum Member

I want to do a clean install of Ubuntu on my old Medion laptop.

I first tried installing along side windows vista but with all the other crap on the hdd it must not have enough room for the install as it gets stuck at the first step.

So I want to format the hdd, I don't have the windows disc so how do I format the hdd?
Phil Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 09-02-2013, 13:35
ironjade
Forum Member

It's been a while but doesn't Ubuntu give you the option to use the whole drive when you begin the installation? Assuming you want to remove Windows completely. Mint definitely does.
ironjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 15:06
1saintly
Forum Member

It's been a while but doesn't Ubuntu give you the option to use the whole drive when you begin the installation? Assuming you want to remove Windows completely. Mint definitely does.

Yes it does.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...desktop-latest

I first tried installing along side windows vista but with all the other crap on the hdd it must not have enough room for the install as it gets stuck at the first step.

So I want to format the hdd, I don't have the windows disc so how do I format the hdd?
Before you commit to loosing youre windows forever, have you tried running Ubuntu from the live dvd?
Firstly to see if it runs on youre old lappy, and secondly to see if you think you will like it.
1saintly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 15:42
ironjade
Forum Member

Ubuntu and many other Linux distributions can also be run from USB sticks, allowing you to make changes and updates which will be retained, which can't be done with discs.

www.linuxliveusb.com
Old 10-02-2013, 08:23
Phil Owens
Forum Member

Yes it does.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...desktop-latest

Before you commit to loosing youre windows forever, have you tried running Ubuntu from the live dvd?
Firstly to see if it runs on youre old lappy, and secondly to see if you think you will like it.
When I boot the laptop with the disc in it only gets as far as the purple loading screen.
it goes through the motions of loading for a couple of minutes and the screen goes blank and nothing happens after that.

I don't think all the files were burnt as it doesn't look like the file in the link on the ubuntu site http://s4.beta.photobucket.com/user/...tml?sort=3&o=0

I have downloaded and burnt the disc three times...
Old 10-02-2013, 08:48
Maxatoria
Forum Member

Does it have an ATI graphics card built into it as sometimes it can be a pain with certain ati cards
Maxatoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:01
Phil Owens
Forum Member

Does it have an ATI graphics card built into it as sometimes it can be a pain with certain ati cards
Just a standard VGA graphics adaptor
Old 10-02-2013, 09:56
Maxatoria
Forum Member

Whats the exact make/model of the laptop, much easier to find out detailed info that way
Old 10-02-2013, 10:16
Phil Owens
Forum Member

Whats the exact make/model of the laptop, much easier to find out detailed info that way
It's a Medion MD 96489.

I burnt to DVD would it be better on CD ? or burn it at a slower speed.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:21
Robertfltn
Forum Member

if you want to keep Vista you could use a Windows application called Windows Disk management to shrink the windows partition down by how much you want to use for Ubuntu (10gb would be a sensible minimum but give it as much as you can spare). Its should read free space and the Ubuntu install disc will have an option to install itself into this free space, making the process far easier.

If you don't want to keep Vista Ubuntu will have an option take all hard disk space, deleting Vista.
Robertfltn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:26
Phil Owens
Forum Member

if you want to keep Vista you could use a Windows application called Windows Disk management to shrink the windows partition down by how much you want to use for Ubuntu (10gb would be a sensible minimum but give it as much as you can spare). Its should read free space and the Ubuntu install disc will have an option to install itself into this free space, making the process far easier.

If you don't want to keep Vista Ubuntu will have an option take all hard disk space, deleting Vista.
Sadly as I posted above the installation doesn't get that far before crashing
Old 10-02-2013, 12:28
Maxatoria
Forum Member

Looking at a quick google its a via chrome 9 graphics chip and there does seem to be some pain in getting the graphics to work
Old 10-02-2013, 12:56
1saintly
Forum Member

When I boot the laptop with the disc in it only gets as far as the purple loading screen.
it goes through the motions of loading for a couple of minutes and the screen goes blank and nothing happens after that.

I don't think all the files were burnt as it doesn't look like the file in the link on the ubuntu site http://s4.beta.photobucket.com/user/...tml?sort=3&o=0

I have downloaded and burnt the disc three times...
It's a Medion MD 96489.

Sadly as I posted above the installation doesn't get that far before crashing
I assume from youre posts youre downloading from
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

if thats the case, then if i was you i would download
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=117
its not the OS youre after, but will answer a few questions/queries.
1saintly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 14:07
ironjade
Forum Member

You could also installing a slightly older version of Ubuntu via wubi.org alongside Windows.
Old 10-02-2013, 16:07
KJ44
Forum Member

Burn it on the slowest speed possible, and if your software supports it, verify the burn afterwards. On Linux, k3b has a verify option.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes
KJ44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 17:32
Phil Owens
Forum Member

Cheers for the help everyone. I think I will try an older version and go from there..