Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

wreck it ralph

Old 09-02-2013, 21:48
mizhog
Forum Member

just watched this...thought it was excellent. its so creative, these animation films are a work of art i think.anyone else seen it?
mizhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 10-02-2013, 00:33
thorr
Forum Member

Totally agree and my 5 yr old son does too!
thorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:06
blitzben85
Forum Member

I saw it Friday evening after work and enjoyed it. A good mix of classic game and made up ones too. Shame Dr Robotnik didn't talk though
blitzben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 15:24
spendleb
Forum Member

My kids loved it, shamefully the three adults with them all fell asleep
spendleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 14:44
Moe's tavern
Forum Member

What a truly disappointing film.

no doubt kids will enjoy it - and there's much for them to enjoy - but the film misleads with its promise of retro gaming memories.

This is not a film that caters to gamers. It briefly nods to games of old, before moving on into sickenly saccharine territory; so much so that diabetics should avoid at all cost.

The sad truth is that there's probably more candy product placement in this film than there is regarding gaming.
And just when Sarah Silverman couldn't get any more grating, she supplies one of the most irritating voices to grace an animated character.

It's good enough to keep the kids happy at half term, but by no means a Disney classic.

Review here.
Moe's tavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 18:01
Bluray
Inactive Member

I loved it.
Very charming and something for everyone.

US Blu-ray ordered, should have it in a week or two.

Brilliant!!!
Bluray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 19:44
NoseyLouie
Forum Member

I am just back from seeing it, I thought it was great!

I only noticed one sweetie milky product placement, but it was funny! The rest seemed to be generic sweeties

There were few moments in the film where a few youngsters got a bit upset, could hear a bit of upset, but being a big softy I had a wee tear in my eye too. It had emotion, heart, action and fun, was a good journey.

Half the film was boyish, half was a bit girly, the main baddie was quite nasty, which was good. In my opinion and my eldest daughters opinion it was the best animated film since toy story 3. The short before it had the makings of a classic too.

10/10 I will be getting the dvd!

Nice seeing some old game characters too from my teens! That was a bonus!

I don't usually have much enthusiasm about these type of films, but this one was smashing.

In no way was I expecting a full on retro gaming trip down memory lane, I did however think of it as a trip through the ages of arcade gaming and how things have progressed, it was a bit nostalgic as an aside. The story was very good, I like rooting for misfits and underdogs

Edit, it was my four year olds first trip to the cinema and she was in awe, magic!
NoseyLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 22:10
Toy_Hero
Forum Member

I've just finished watching it. Absolutely loved it. I really enjoyed the concept of the film. Unlike the poster above, I loved Sarah Silverman in it. I think she was the perfect voice casting and I get why the character was written for her. Also really enjoyed Jane Lynch as well.

I'm not one for animation but I thought this was fantastic. 9/10 for me .
Toy_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 17:36
2shy2007
Forum Member

What a truly disappointing film.

no doubt kids will enjoy it - and there's much for them to enjoy - but the film misleads with its promise of retro gaming memories.

This is not a film that caters to gamers. It briefly nods to games of old, before moving on into sickenly saccharine territory; so much so that diabetics should avoid at all cost.

The sad truth is that there's probably more candy product placement in this film than there is regarding gaming.
And just when Sarah Silverman couldn't get any more grating, she supplies one of the most irritating voices to grace an animated character.

It's good enough to keep the kids happy at half term, but by no means a Disney classic.

Review here.
Completely agree, thought it started off great, but soon turned into a treacly mess.my 9 year old managed to have a kip half way through!
2shy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 18:55
pauldowney
Forum Member

Really enjoyed this, such a clever film.
pauldowney is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 21:32
Sez_babe
Forum Member

Nick Grimshaw is a voice in the film, isn't he? I briefly heard him talking about it on his show.
Sez_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 21:58
xenosys
Forum Member

Excellent film, and as I was born in the 80s, the computer-game references really added to overall appeal. I just wish there would have been a few more in there for good measure.

I do agree with some views that it started off great, but after about 30 odd minutes, it all tailed off a little and became your typical animated Disney film. Lots of potential to be better, but still an enjoyable movie.
xenosys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 13:38
LandslideBrad
Forum Member

I can't believe I cried twice at this film, smh, I kind of hope there's a game based on this film.
LandslideBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 15:06
LandslideBrad
Forum Member

If Felix hit the glitch girl with his hammer, would she have been fixed?
LandslideBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 15:47
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Nick Grimshaw is a voice in the film, isn't he? I briefly heard him talking about it on his show.
Apparently, it appears to be a UK only thing, so you'll have someone different if you see in the US and perhaps another local personality if you see in Australia...
theonlyweeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 18:09
caz06
Forum Member

the best part of this film was the marching oreos hahaha "oreo - ORR EE OOHH" loved it
caz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 19:54
Sez_babe
Forum Member

Apparently, it appears to be a UK only thing, so you'll have someone different if you see in the US and perhaps another local personality if you see in Australia...
Ah I see. Thanks
Sez_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 00:28
Gilbertoo
Forum Member

Started off well, trailed off in the middle and picked up a little bit towards the end. End credits are quite retro, though!
Gilbertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 10:35
Benry_Gale
Forum Member

The film is absolutely fantastic. Dips slightly in the middle, as Gilbertoo said, but ends fantastically. The little moments are what makes the film, the villains anonymous meeting, the oreos marching, etc.
Benry_Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 10:52
Shizuku
Forum Member

I thought it was briliant! Loved the concept and trying to get all the video game, movie and pop culture references. Thought Sarah Silverman was fantastic as Glitch Girl, loved the whole animation design. Was clearly a labour of love for all involved, great stuff.
Shizuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 20:33
ben8936
Inactive Member

i think it is the 2nd best movie ever its brilliant
ben8936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 00:54
christhedilke
Forum Member

I've seen this film twice now, it is just brilliant. The concept was great, characters and their respective voice actors were all very likable, the animation brilliantly colourful and vivid to compliment some very creative and imaginative imagery, and so much fast-paced fun to be had. And with so many game and movie references in there as well as little touches added to the designs, I think it's going to be one of those films that you can watch again and find something you missed last time. And the short film at the start, "Paperman", was simply beautiful. I highly recommend it.
christhedilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 00:28
kyresa
Forum Member

I loved it Will be buying the blu ray
kyresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 16:07
grimtales1
Forum Member

the best part of this film was the marching oreos hahaha "oreo - ORR EE OOHH" loved it
That made me laugh as well
I enjoyed it, the references to classic and retro games made me smile I thought: Wreck it Ralph = Donkey Kong, Fix it Felix = Jumpan/Mario, but halfway through it got a bit too saccharine for its own good - the candy world reminded me of the sweet level on Zool on the Mega Drive/SNES, and briefly
Spoiler

Some nice nods to retro games and how things have progressed - the Hero's Duty bounty hunter was a clear nod to the modern design of Samus from Metroid Prime imo, and
Spoiler

3.5/5
The end credits were great too
Spoiler

But the best part for me was the beautifully touching, wordless animation, 'Paperman' at the start. Beautiful
grimtales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 16:42
Jonwo
Forum Member

That made me laugh as well
I enjoyed it, the references to classic and retro games made me smile I thought: Wreck it Ralph = Donkey Kong, Fix it Felix = Jumpan/Mario, but halfway through it got a bit too saccharine for its own good - the candy world reminded me of the sweet level on Zool on the Mega Drive/SNES, and briefly
Spoiler

Some nice nods to retro games and how things have progressed - the Hero's Duty bounty hunter was a clear nod to the modern design of Samus from Metroid Prime imo, and
Spoiler

3.5/5
The end credits were great too
Spoiler

But the best part for me was the beautifully touching, wordless animation, 'Paperman' at the start. Beautiful
Spoiler

I did like Paperman, can see future Disney films in that style of animation.
Jonwo is offline   Reply With Quote