Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Hollyoaks General Discussion (Part 19)

Closed Thread
Old 11-02-2013, 21:07
Scrufox86
Forum Member

The whole Mitzeee/Carl/Walker and Brendan/Ste/Walker stuff is oddly separate. Why has nobody mentioned since that while it was Walker who pulled the trigger, it was Brendan who pushed the gun, inadvertently killing Riley?

Mitzeee and Brendan have had enough conversations recently, either about Ste or Walker, but why haven't they discussed that it was a toss-up between Ste and Riley as to who died? I want to see them talk about that - the two loves of their lives, and Riley was the one to die instead of Ste. It all ties nicely together, but they've never mentioned it.

ETA: Sorry, I know this is a bit OT now, I was just thinking about Mitzeee's exit and Walker's involvement.
I find it really odd. Riley and Ann a.k.a Mitzeee were cousins. Regarding the bit in bold i find it funny as it is only half right. Ste and Brendan could be said to be Love of thier lives. Mitzeee's love of her life hasn't come along yet. No matter how much the writers want to try to retcon things to suit them, both Riley and Mitzeee were not the loves of thier lives. If by some bizarre reason they were then why when they were first introduced to the show was Mitzeee having an affair with his dad and did not show the slightest interest in him. Not even certain looks or any hint that they were interested in each other. It was only when they didn't know what to do with Mitzeee that they tried to pair them up and it didn't work. Riley and Lynsey were more convincing.

I wish they hadn't done this weird incest story with Mitzeee and Riley. Mitzeee was an alright character until then. We did start to see her as her self before all the Riley rubbish but now she is leaving so too little too late to repair the damage.
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 11-02-2013, 21:11
tinkie
Forum Member

Welcome to the thread chris and also to DS
Old 11-02-2013, 21:14
dublintvfan
Forum Member

Hi all, first post so I hope it's a good one.

Having watched Hollyoaks on and off for many years, I've realised that we may be seeing a transition in Hollyoaks from character-led drama to storyline-led drama. Essentially, many have noticed continuity errors, character inconsistencies and personality transplants since the change in personally last year. I believe that the production team have made a conscious decision to concentrate on storyline, and make character development/consistency a secondary factor.

The bullying storyline, for instance, showed characters such as Jen, Diane and briefly Jack acting out of character in order to facilitate the development of the storyline. Similarly, Ste, Frankie and even Rhys before his death seem to be regressing after years of character development in order to create storylines that grow from the character, but from the need to fast-paced and sometimes sensational plots.

Sorry for the rambling - just wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Agree completly, Another sore point of Hollyoaks Characters used to come first explored ect then given big storylines, theres members of the cast being ignored And dropped so others can get screen time which is awful, unfortuanly Hollyoaks has got alot of new viewers by this So i dont see it changing
dublintvfan is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 11-02-2013, 21:17
chrisblake1986
Forum Member

Welcome to the thread chris and also to DS
Thanks for the welcome, Tinkie.
Old 11-02-2013, 21:21
chrisblake1986
Forum Member

Agree completly, Another sore point of Hollyoaks Characters used to come first explored ect then given big storylines, theres members of the cast being ignored And dropped so others can get screen time which is awful, unfortuanly Hollyoaks has got alot of new viewers by this So i dont see it changing
It is a real shame. They have so many characters crying out for development. The show has a brilliant group of students in Annalise, Barney and Rob. They've been so underused, and yet they are popular with viewers, in contrast to the overused and unpopular sixth-formers. I know they have remedied this by killing off Maddie, Neil and Jono, but the students are a popular group who with some development and meatier stories could be an asset to the show.
Old 11-02-2013, 21:25
davem1234
Forum Member

don't know why they got rid of students hall
Old 11-02-2013, 21:26
winter99
Forum Member

Welcome To The Soaps Forum Chris
Old 11-02-2013, 21:27
dublintvfan
Forum Member

It is a real shame. They have so many characters crying out for development. The show has a brilliant group of students in Annalise, Barney and Rob. They've been so underused, and yet they are popular with viewers, in contrast to the overused and unpopular sixth-formers. I know they have remedied this by killing off Maddie, Neil and Jono, but the students are a popular group who with some development and meatier stories could be an asset to the show.
Agreed, sadly i think those 3 will be axed they haven't all been together properly since scott left, its a shame but Hopefully The next lot of students will be treated better
Old 11-02-2013, 21:29
dublintvfan
Forum Member

don't know why they got rid of students hall
Scott left, Then all the Attention went on the 6th formers and Hollyoaks college hasent been seen since Pretty sure this is the longest we have ever gone without seeing it
Old 11-02-2013, 21:35
Neomysterio
Forum Member

Hey Chris! Welcome to the thread
Old 11-02-2013, 21:37
chrisblake1986
Forum Member

Welcome To The Soaps Forum Chris
Thank you, Winter! All these welcomes, I feel honoured!
Old 11-02-2013, 21:39
chrisblake1986
Forum Member

Hey Neo, thank you! You're all lovely.

Isn't this DS - where's the bitching and backbiting?
Old 11-02-2013, 21:40
dublintvfan
Forum Member

Hey Neo, thank you! You're all lovely.

Isn't this DS - where's the bitching and backbiting?
General Discussion avoid at all cost
Old 11-02-2013, 21:43
chrisblake1986
Forum Member

General Discussion avoid at all cost
Is it the internet equivalent of the pits of hell?
Old 11-02-2013, 21:43
Neomysterio
Forum Member

I'm not just saying this but I think this thread is one of the most friendly and decent places on Digi.

I might be a bit biased as I'm an Oaks fan though...
Old 11-02-2013, 21:46
Everlong Girl
Forum Member

I'm not just saying this but I think this thread is one of the most friendly and decent places on Digi.

I might be a bit biased as I'm an Oaks fan though...
I agree Neo, I've never had a problem with anyone on the general discussion thread I know one or two have but overall my experience of this thread is positive.

Hello and welcome Chris
Old 11-02-2013, 21:56
chrisblake1986
Forum Member

I've been a lurker for a few years, and it's always seemed friendly (despite the odd disagreement). But it also has passionate fans with intelligent opinions, which Hollyoaks should be happy to have as a fanbase. Look forward to posting with you all!
Old 11-02-2013, 22:00
Jingle Jangle
Forum Member

Hi Chris. A few years! Why haven't you posted before? Anyway, welcome to the thread.
Old 11-02-2013, 22:02
chrisblake1986
Forum Member

It used to be a real hassle to create an account if you had a Hotmail e-mail. I've only just realised that DS have changed that, so here I am!
Old 11-02-2013, 22:14
Neomysterio
Forum Member

Well its very good to have you!

I've been wrapped in the bullying storyline and am now very happy that Esther is going to be okay. I think Jazz Franks seriously kicked some arse with it!

I'm not sure if I've ever been happier than watching Sinead get expelled...
Old 11-02-2013, 22:18
dublintvfan
Forum Member

Well its very good to have you!

I've been wrapped in the bullying storyline and am now very happy that Esther is going to be okay. I think Jazz Franks seriously kicked some arse with it!

I'm not sure if I've ever been happier than watching Sinead get expelled...
shame though we probably wont see the osbournes for another two weeks, Dont see why they Dont go back to the old way of story telling that was continuous instead of huge gaps
Old 11-02-2013, 22:41
Eternal24
Forum Member

Lovely to see Amy back in E4's episode. She looks gorgeous! Hope she comes back more permanently later on in the year, I miss her! But for now, looking forward to tomorrow night's First Look
Old 11-02-2013, 22:58
Plant
Forum Member

I loved Amy's dagger looks at Brendan and Ste as she kissed Leah.
Old 11-02-2013, 23:16
Rain
Forum Member

Just seeing her again. Why can we not have Amy back for good!
Old 11-02-2013, 23:26
khughes90
Forum Member

I honestly think that a large part of 2012 was severely lacking in quality and that characters had scenes, not stories. Then it started to improve around Summer, but was lead with the then current characterisation, which wasn't all that great in my opinion. At some point BK come on board and started making small changes.

Now I think the story lead characters, rather than character lead stories, is due to BK setting them up for things he has planned for the future.

A change over is always a bit iffy because each producer has different ideas of where/what to do. So, I'm hoping that after the 3 big exits coming up, everything will be set for what BK has in mind.

Although, I could be chatting absolute bollocks

Closed Thread