Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

ftp access to my site - I.E. won't do it anymore

Old 11-02-2013, 11:41
JamesE
Forum Member

I used to access my web site by typing ftp://mysite.me.uk/ into internet explorer and after jumping through the user name and password hoops I could then go to page and at the bottom was a "open ftp site using Win. Explorer" after which I couls copy and paste files etc. to update the site. All I get now is "Internet Explorer cannot open this page" before I get anywhere. However, if I use Firefox I can get into my site which lists the files and folders but I can't do the copy and paste to update my site as I could using Win. Explorer because it doesn't seem to have the same facility.

Curiously, if I click on the false link, above, I get the usual dialogue box asking for user name and password.

All help and advice gratefully received!
JamesE is online now   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:51
chrisjr
Forum Member

It's a while since I used Windows Explorer but surely you can type ftp:// etc directly into that can't you? It should then prompt for the login details and open the folder.
chrisjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:54
John259
Forum Member

You could maybe try using an FTP program instead. I find Filezilla good but there are many others.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filezilla
http://filezilla-project.org
John259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 11:00
JamesE
Forum Member

It's a while since I used Windows Explorer but surely you can type ftp:// etc directly into that can't you? It should then prompt for the login details and open the folder.
That's the problem - I don't get the log-in box - I only get "Internet Explorer cannot open this site"
Old 14-02-2013, 11:09
chrisjr
Forum Member

That's the problem - I don't get the log-in box - I only get "Internet Explorer cannot open this site"
I wasn't suggesting you use Internet Explorer but type the FTP address directly into Windows Explorer instead.
chrisjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 17:25
JamesE
Forum Member

I wasn't suggesting you use Internet Explorer but type the FTP address directly into Windows Explorer instead.
I'm sorry. Where do I enter this?
Old 20-02-2013, 17:44
barky99
Forum Member

windows explorer & internet explorer aren't the same thing ya knows
windows explorer displays folders & files allowing you to just drag & drop into an ftp location -- not a thing i've done for many years as it's rather insecure ... have used filezilla for ages
barky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 17:47
John259
Forum Member

I'm sorry. Where do I enter this?
I don't think you can - at least, I can't find any way to do it (in Win7).

Have you tried the Filezilla FTP program (see post #3) - I think you might find that far simpler than Internet Explorer.
John259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 17:55
kempshott
Forum Member

Just overtype whatever is showing in the box at the top of the folder view (eg "libraries") with ftp://whatever.url

This works in Win7 and Win8
kempshott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 18:56
ba_baracus
Forum Member

I don't think you can - at least, I can't find any way to do it (in Win7).

Have you tried the Filezilla FTP program (see post #3) - I think you might find that far simpler than Internet Explorer.
On Win 7 you open My Computer, then right click on the white space and select Add a Network Location.

Run through the wizard and enter the FTP details. You will then end up with a shortcut on the My Computer screen.

Much better using Filezilla though.
ba_baracus is offline   Reply With Quote