Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Chivalry and Betrayal: The Hundred Years War

Old 11-02-2013, 16:15
moondew

This is on tonight at 9pm on BBC4. I love these historical programmes, they're fascinating, and even better when presented by Janina Ramirez - she really brings the subject to life, imo.
moondew is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 11-02-2013, 16:29
Shrike
Forum Member

Thanks for the heads up - nice timing for the BBC with Richard III poping up in that car park sparking an interest in things medeaval - maybe the lovely Dr. Janina can do a follow up series on the wars of the roses
Shrike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 16:43
moondew

Thanks for the heads up - nice timing for the BBC with Richard III poping up in that car park sparking an interest in things medeaval - maybe the lovely Dr. Janina can do a follow up series on the wars of the roses
That's a good idea. Hopefully someone at the Beeb will have thought of it.
Old 11-02-2013, 16:43
Mystic Dave
Inactive Member

It certainly would have sparked interest, had R3 "popped up".

I suppose the HYW is the last time the French won anything in the end.
Mystic Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 16:49
the_lostprophet
Forum Member

I saw Janina telling us about this on Twitter the other day. Will definitely be tuning in as I enjoy her documentaries.
the_lostprophet is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 17:02
ChrissieAO
Forum Member

This is on tonight at 9pm on BBC4. I love these historical programmes, they're fascinating, and even better when presented by Janina Ramirez - she really brings the subject to life, imo.
Thanks for that...I will definitely record it.
ChrissieAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 18:16
yosemitesam
Forum Member

Thanks for that, hadn't realised it was going to be on, looking forward to this.
yosemitesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 18:18
lundavra
Forum Member

It's repeated on BBC HD on Saturday evening.
lundavra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 18:38
swingaleg
Forum Member

Looking forward to this

BBC4 really is an oasis in the desert...............
swingaleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 18:52
moondew

Looking forward to this

How true.

The prog is the first of a 3-part series, and is repeated on thursday at 11pm.
Old 11-02-2013, 19:04
Ed R.Marley
Forum Member

Looking forward to this

Too true. I notice Channel 4's showing another one of their "Let's laugh at gypsies" programmes again
Ed R.Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 19:09
Stansfield
Forum Member

That's when I'm going to watch this....a long wait.
Stansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 19:47
Shrike
Forum Member

That's when I'm going to watch this....a long wait.
Difficult choice - the one she did on manuscripts was well worth watching in HD but if this is more monuments and battle fields it may not be. Mind you my telly is fairly small by modern standards so I dont gain much from HD. (At least I think I watched it in HD - so many good documentries on BBC4 )
Shrike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 20:47
Stansfield
Forum Member

Difficult choice - the one she did on manuscripts was well worth watching in HD but if this is more monuments and battle fields it may not be. Mind you my telly is fairly small by modern standards so I dont gain much from HD. (At least I think I watched it in HD - so many good documentries on BBC4 )
They're better in HD....

I can wait.
Stansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 22:09
moondew

What a brilliant programme - now that's how to give a history lesson

Great to see the old walled city at Carcassonne. I went there many moons ago - you really get an idea of what life was like in medieval times when you walk along the streets, and look round the old buildings.
Old 11-02-2013, 22:27
geoveo
Forum Member

Great to see the old walled city at Carcassonne. I went there many moons ago - you really get an idea of what life was like in medieval times when you walk along the streets, and look round the old buildings.
packed with tacky souvenir shops, over priced restaurants and hoards of tourists.
(half) joking aside it is a lovely city in beautiful countryside with a fascinating history. An area where we have spent much time over many years.
geoveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 00:24
guenevere
Forum Member

Gramercy (medieval, from "grand merci"), BBC, for bringing back La Ramirez so soon in another feast of visuals and good historical analysis. Now, instead of the deplorable unavailability of "Illuminations" (out of print at the British Library in this, a coronation jubilee year - 2 June 1953) . . . . can we have a DVD of this one, please? She is arguably the best TV historian since Michael Wood. They'd make a great team on some kind of special.
guenevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 00:36
saralund
Forum Member

Excellent stuff; a king I knew very little about, beautifully conveyed. BBC4 is wonderful.

One small puzzlement - she described herself as a 'cultural historian' tonight. I'm sure when she did the Anglo-Saxon treasures series, she described herself as an art historian.
saralund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 00:36
Mystic Dave
Inactive Member

The HYW is one of these subjects we all learn about in school, so this was most interesting in putting everything in context, including the separate national identities.
Mystic Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:19
ilovewallander
Forum Member

I loved her programme about the Icelandic Sagas on BBC4 a year to two ago. I've still got it on my Sky+! I'll have to catch the repeat of this on Thursday, I forgot to record it. Dr Janina is very interesting and enthusiastic about the subjects she's talking about and I seem to take more of it in!
ilovewallander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:17
Radical Joe
Forum Member

A great watch, and must see TV for anyone interested in medieval history. There was also another historical doc on BBC4 an hour later (why couldn't they schedule them together?) about the logistics involved in English/Britsih military campaigns, presented by Nigel Saul which touched on the Hundred Years War.
Radical Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:26
merlinsmum
Forum Member

Thanks for that as I missed it. Plus i notice the film 'The Kite Runner' is on before it from 9.00pm. Will record that too as the book was one that has stayed with me since reading it a few years back.
merlinsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 16:46
the_lostprophet
Forum Member

The HYW is one of these subjects we all learn about in school, so this was most interesting in putting everything in context, including the separate national identities.
Not in my state school in the 90s it wasn't! So much of English history tends to be missed from the curriculum - I've had to read up on it myself.
the_lostprophet is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 18:28
moondew

packed with tacky souvenir shops, over priced restaurants and hoards of tourists.
(half) joking aside it is a lovely city in beautiful countryside with a fascinating history. An area where we have spent much time over many years.
I didn't mind the tourists, it's a sign of how popular the place is You're lucky to have been there a lot.
Old 12-02-2013, 18:47
Lizaj
Forum Member

Not in my state school in the 90s it wasn't! So much of English history tends to be missed from the curriculum - I've had to read up on it myself.
I taught Medieval history to Y7 from the 1980s right through to the mid 21st C. National Curriculum.but the kids always said they looked forward to the Tudors because I promised them sex as well as violence with that lot!

Sure you didn't sleep through those years????.I suppose some of my lot probably did..you can't grab 'em all
Lizaj is offline   Reply With Quote