Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Anyone else think build quality of iPhone 5 isnt as good as iPhone 4S?

Old 11-02-2013, 19:26
Steve™
Forum Member

Yep so I upgraded a few days ago. Problem is I hate the feel of the iPhone 5. I know its a better spec - probably the only reason I might keep it - but the build I hate. That brushed metal back feels horrible.

The only plus for me is the improved data speeds (due to DC-HSDPA) and better battery life, but aside from that the 4S is a better phone...imo

And am I the only one who doesnt need lighter and lighter phones? I quite like the weight of the 4S...makes it feel like quality.
Steve™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 11-02-2013, 19:40
Matt D
Forum Member

I think that the black anodised aluminium was a mistake, because of the scratching issue.

I've also seen people moaning about it rattling when tapped at the bottom left or top right (facing up). Apparently it's due to the accelerometer or gyroscope at the bottom and the camera lens at the top, and is allegedly common to all iPhones... Some people have it quite badly though.
Matt D is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 19:47
DevonBloke
Forum Member

Completely disagree. 4/4s were way too heavy for my liking. I actually think the 5 feels like quality in your hand. I like the metal back as it doesn't scratch as easily. Had mine since October and in my poket with no case and the back isn't scratched as all. Only the glass bits top and bottom have hairline scratches. I don't even have a screen protector. It goes in my pocket with the screen against my leg and the back against a leather wallet. No other metal, keys, coins. Not a single scratch on the screen or the back.

Wouldn't do for us all to be the same though
DevonBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 20:27
The Lord Lucan
Forum Member

Some people like it, others hate it. I like it. Feels better than my old 4S and better build than my old works Galaxy S3.
The Lord Lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 20:36
Patrick_Shaplan
Forum Member

Completely disagree. 4/4s were way too heavy for my liking. I actually think the 5 feels like quality in your hand. I like the metal back as it doesn't scratch as easily. Had mine since October and in my poket with no case and the back isn't scratched as all. Only the glass bits top and bottom have hairline scratches. I don't even have a screen protector. It goes in my pocket with the screen against my leg and the back against a leather wallet. No other metal, keys, coins. Not a single scratch on the screen or the back.

i agree iPhone 5 is pure quality, i hate the feel of my wife's 4s
Patrick_Shaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 20:10
DevonBloke
Forum Member

Some people like it, others hate it. I like it. Feels better than my old 4S and better build than my old works Galaxy S3.
It's always going to feel better than an S3 isn't it. I mean, Jonnys laser cut the edges hasn't he!
Hahahaha
DevonBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 21:03
Stuart_h
Forum Member

I love the way that even a thread comparing two Apple products gets the usual S3 comments from Lucan
Stuart_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 21:07
The Lord Lucan
Forum Member

I love the way that even a thread comparing two Apple products gets the usual S3 comments from Lucan
Well i had all 3 (4S, S3 & 5) at the same time so i would compare it... no Samsung issues, just saying how it felt / held up.

Still all better than HTC's of the last few years (This years models are pretty hardy though + Nexus 4)
Old 12-02-2013, 21:10
SkyPlatinum
Inactive Member

Totally agree with Devon this one.
SkyPlatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 21:11
THOMO
Forum Member

Well I don't know whether its better or not, as the IPhone 5 is my first IPhone and I couldn't do without it.
Ian.
THOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 21:13
plymouthbloke1974
Forum Member

I prefer the 4S to the 5.
plymouthbloke1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 21:17
coolmp3
Forum Member

Totally agree with Devon this one.
I agree the 5 is a excellent upgrade to the 4s. The weight makes it really nice to hold. This might give the impression to some of cheap but its far from it
coolmp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 21:21
Stiggles
Forum Member

Snap.

When i hold a 5 it just feels cheap and nasty. The 4 and 4S does feel nice and weighty and like some love at least went into it. Also find the 5 looks vile as well. Like its been stretched abnormally!!

Anyway, each to their own.
Stiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 09:18
daclick
Forum Member

I hate iPhones but after seeing the IP everyday due to my job I think the 5's design is better than any other iPhone previously
daclick is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 10:20
Rich_L
Forum Member

I've dropped the 5 more times in the 3 weeks I have had it than I ever did in the year that I had the 4s

I find it very slippy that or its my cack hands...
Rich_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 10:37
The Lord Lucan
Forum Member

I find it very slippy that or its my cack hands...

Glad it's not just me then..
Old 13-02-2013, 10:39
Bio Max
Forum Member

I prefer my 5 to my partners 4S - feels much better to me
Bio Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 11:20
whoever,hey
Forum Member

same here. I'm not a fan of my wives iPhone 5.
whoever,hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 11:40
Stuart_h
Forum Member

I think the answer to the OP question is a definitive yes.

There are other people who feel the same

(Note that doesnt mean it IS better or worse just that there ARE other people who think the same as the OP)
Stuart_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 12:15
acoolwelshbloke
Forum Member

I prefer the 4s over the 5, so much so I'm skipping an upgrade and holding out for the 5s or 6 whichever turns up next. If they have the issues though of poor workmanship or iOS woes I'm going back over to the dark side!
acoolwelshbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 13:59
Everything Goes
Forum Member

Put the phone in a case and you wont notice. Sure moaning about Apple products is against some sort of law
Everything Goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 14:37
ajh94
Forum Member

I have to agree, I like a bit of weight to my phones, makes it feel more premium.

Although it's not a deal breaker... I have a Galaxy Note 2 which isn't that premium at all as it's all plastic
ajh94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 14:39
alanwarwic
Forum Member

i agree iPhone 5 is pure quality, i hate the feel of my wife's 4s
"The company believes that saying as little as possible and letting its products speak for themselves is still the best approach."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21411970

When they think its good they like to tell you.
When its crap they stay silent whilst a lot of users often seem to stand in a uniform line saying 'mines perfect'.
alanwarwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 15:05
Rich_L
Forum Member

same here. I'm not a fan of my wives iPhone 5.
Are you Henry VIII th?
Rich_L is offline   Reply With Quote