Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Football Commentators Thread (Part 15)

Closed Thread
Old 16-02-2013, 18:53
TKun
Forum Member

Dortmund v Frankfurt - Bundesliga (ESPN HD)

Commentators:
Jim Proudfoot & Stewart Robson
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-02-2013, 19:02
Homesdale
Forum Member

Granada v Barcelona

Sky Sports 1 HD - Scott Minto with Gaizka Mendieta.
Commentary - Kevin Keatings & Gerry Armstrong

World Feed - Duncan Bishop & Pete Jenson
Old 16-02-2013, 19:26
Homesdale
Forum Member

Forgot to post this from earlier this afternoon:

Crystal Palace v Middlesbrough

World Feed - Alistair Mann
Old 16-02-2013, 19:48
Homesdale
Forum Member

AS Roma v Juventus

World Feed - Patrick Tarroni & Richard Whittle

PSV Einhoven v Utrecht

World Feed - Jonathan Beck
Old 16-02-2013, 20:10
djpower
Forum Member

ESPN Australia / NZ

Luton Town vs Millwall - Jon Champion and Craig Burley (as per ESPN UK)
Arsenal vs Blackburn Rovers - Des Curran and Robbie Earle
Oldham Athletic vs Everton - Des Curran and Robbie Earle
djpower is online now Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 16-02-2013, 21:18
Steve1977
Forum Member

It's Clive & Andy at Oldham

Who was at Luton earlier for ESPN?

EDIT: There's light hearted moments which are needed between presenters/commentators/pundits.

What isn't needed is sexual harassment & bullying which Keys & Gray were accused of
How can you bully someone if they can't hear, arent in the same room and will never hear? Unless some weasel sets you up because you're suing Rupert Murdoch. hmmm.

Besides, as you say, light hearted moments are needed but now it seems people don't want that judging by this thread.
Old 16-02-2013, 21:24
mikey1980
Forum Member

How can you bully someone if they can't hear, arent in the same room and will never hear? Unless some weasel sets you up because you're suing Rupert Murdoch. hmmm.

Besides, as you say, light hearted moments are needed but now it seems people don't want that judging by this thread.
The events that brought the downfall of Keys & Gray were, by all accounts, only the tip of the iceberg. They were generally despised by the backroom production people for their bullying and over-bearing attitude. As Keys & Gray seemingly didn't care who they made enemies of during their ascent to the summit, why should anyone be surprised that as they fell from the top they were helped on the way by the people they had previously climbed all over?
Old 16-02-2013, 22:08
bwfcol
Forum Member

Bullying doesn't have to be in earshot of the person who is bullied.

Saying things behind peoples back can be just as damaging,

Sky staff celebrated their departures, that sums those lowlife pair up.
Old 16-02-2013, 22:33
bwfcol
Forum Member

In more important news, David Oates funeral was held on Thursday with over 500 people attending inc Sir Alex

A Just Giving page has been set up for the BHF in his honour, many messages for, recognisable names are on

https://t.co/rRlHKNTS

I hope no one minds me posting this. 500 is from Premier Sports so much respect to them.
Old 16-02-2013, 23:51
CardioCortez
Forum Member

Gray and Keys on screen were second to none. Off screen was a different matter and no matter how you look at it, what they did was in-defendable, set up or not.
Old 16-02-2013, 23:57
The Difference
Forum Member

Saturday 16th February - ITV

FA Cup Fifth Round Highlights

Matt Smith presented from Boundary Park alongside Andy Townsend and Gareth Southgate

Arsenal v Blackburn Rovers - Peter Drury
Oldham Athletic v Everton - Clive Tyldesley and Andy Townsend, with Gabriel Clarke conducting post-match interviews
Luton Town v Millwall - Jon Champion and Craig Burley, with Dave Beckett conducting post-match interviews (as ESPN UK)
Milton Keynes Dons v Barnsley - Joe Speight

Matt (or the pundits) didn't make too much of his namesake scoring for Oldham today, I was kind of hoping they might.

Annoying how BBC have scheduled The Football League Show 10-15 minutes earlier than usual, eh? Putting The FLS in its normal timeslot would have meant it slotted in very nicely after the ITV FA Cup highlights had ended. I'll be among the no doubt reasonable number of viewers who'll be watching this Crystal Palace v Middlesbrough edit from start to finish during the show's first re-run on channel 301.
Old 17-02-2013, 00:07
mikw
Forum Member

Why has everything got to be about "banter" these days?

I want a presenter to have some level of gravitas, be able to read an autocue, and be able to engage their guests in discussion, particularly those guests who lack TV experience and thus need a bit more coaxing. I'm not really that fussed if they're not cracking jokes with people.

In fact, as far as the concept of "banter" is concerned, I'd rather see and hear as little as possible on football broadcasts.
Trouble is, by it's very nature, sports broadcasting requires a lot of filling. If it was all dry it would get boring very quickly.
Old 17-02-2013, 00:09
mikw
Forum Member

Saturday 16th February - ITV

FA Cup Fifth Round Highlights

Matt Smith presented from Boundary Park alongside Andy Townsend and Gareth Southgate

Arsenal v Blackburn Rovers - Peter Drury
Oldham Athletic v Everton - Clive Tyldesley and Andy Townsend, with Gabriel Clarke conducting post-match interviews
Luton Town v Millwall - Jon Champion and Craig Burley, with Dave Beckett conducting post-match interviews (as ESPN UK)
Milton Keynes Dons v Barnsley - Joe Speight

Matt (or the pundits) didn't make too much of his namesake scoring for Oldham today, I was kind of hoping they might.

Annoying how BBC have scheduled The Football League Show 10-15 minutes earlier than usual, eh? Putting The FLS in its normal timeslot would have meant it slotted in very nicely after the ITV FA Cup highlights had ended. I'll be among the no doubt reasonable number of viewers who'll be watching this Crystal Palace v Middlesbrough edit from start to finish during the show's first re-run on channel 301.
I guess the FLS scheduling is tricky with it's usual "run in" programme not on tonight.
Old 17-02-2013, 00:50
Hayden
Forum Member

Gray and Keys on screen were second to none. Off screen was a different matter and no matter how you look at it, what they did was in-defendable, set up or not.
They were good, in their hey-day even peerless, but there were increasing signs towards the end that it was time for a change.
Keys had got just that little bit more smug and knowing and Gray had got just that little bit more lazy and cliche-driven with his analysis.
So IMO even taking out all the unpleasantness, Sky should have been considering refreshing their coverage.
And as part of that change has led us to Gary Neville, easily the finest analyst around, and Keys and Gray are in no way short of work these days, then it is win-win as far as I am concerned.
Old 17-02-2013, 01:01
The Difference
Forum Member

Saturday 16th February - BBC One

The Football League Show

Manish Bhasin presented alongside Leroy Rosenior

Crystal Palace v Middlesbrough - Alistair Mann
Tranmere Rovers v Shrewsbury Town (Friday) - Kevin Keatings
Bristol Rovers v Wycombe Wanderers - Mark Clemmit (reporting)

Championship round-ups - Dave Beckett, Paul Walker and Mark Scott
League One round-ups - Dan Mason, Mick Conway and Paul Walker
League Two round-ups - Dave Beckett, Dan Mason, Mick Conway, Mark Scott and Tony Lockwood

I guess the FLS scheduling is tricky with it's usual "run in" programme not on tonight.
You are right and the scheduling conflict would not have been a product of BBC Sport or ITV Sport but rather than respective broadcasters' schedulers. And while ideally the highlights shows wouldn't clash, I don't believe the omens should be on either the BBC or ITV schedulers to get together to avoid a clash. It would have been nice if they didn't overlap though.

Just sitting through the end of BBCi's looped highlights of the World Cup Skiing as I type this, that Palace v Middlesbrough edit will be on again in a moment!
Old 17-02-2013, 09:12
david04121980
Forum Member

They were good, in their hey-day even peerless, but there were increasing signs towards the end that it was time for a change.
Keys had got just that little bit more smug and knowing and Gray had got just that little bit more lazy and cliche-driven with his analysis.
So IMO even taking out all the unpleasantness, Sky should have been considering refreshing their coverage.
And as part of that change has led us to Gary Neville, easily the finest analyst around, and Keys and Gray are in no way short of work these days, then it is win-win as far as I am concerned.
It possibly needed a change but then again having Keys on every match didnt help with Gray for that matter. They could have put Keys on Sundays and Champions League with Ed doing the Saturday and Monday games?

With Gray they should have only had him on 1 match at the weekend? But no all gone and ready for the new breed!
Old 17-02-2013, 10:44
LOSG
Forum Member

It's worked out well in the long term.

However, for the first few months after they left it was like a free-for-all audition at Sky. On screen wise, I think if Sky had that time again they'd do things a bit differently. It came across as very sloppy at the time.
Old 17-02-2013, 12:03
jlp95bwfc
Forum Member

Chelsea v Brentford - ITV

Matt Smith with Martin Allen and Ian Wright.
Commentators: Sam Matterface and Andy Townsend.
Old 17-02-2013, 12:04
chrisfinch
Forum Member

FA Cup-Chelsea v Brentford (ITV)
Presenter: Matt Smith with Martin Allen and Ian Wright
Commentators: Sam Matterface and Andy Townsend
Reporter: Tom Skippings
Old 17-02-2013, 12:25
jimmylad
Forum Member

Nice to see Sam Matterface doing a big itv1 game. I caught a few minutes of one of this ACoN commentaries and thought he had greatly improved since I'd last heard him on tv.

He must have listened when I tweeted him saying something along the lines of 'when you're on tv there's no need to talk non stop, sometimes you can let the pictures do the talking, you're a great commentator, I love you on talkSPORT, don't spoil things'

Still needs more improvement but doing great today, he's definitely heading in the right direction.
Old 17-02-2013, 12:30
bwfcol
Forum Member

Good god, Allen had and Wright are awful.

Then ITV scrape the barrel in the commentary box.
Old 17-02-2013, 12:48
Homesdale
Forum Member

Al Jazeera Sport +3 11:30-18:30

Richard Keys with Glenn Hoddle & Trevor Francis.

Chelsea v Brentford - Sam Matterface & Andy Townsend
Manchester City v Leeds Utd - Martin Tyler & Stewart Robson
Huddersfield Town v Wigan Athletic - Clive Tyldesley & Jim Beglin

World Feed

Chelsea v Brentford Dan O'Hagan & Nigel Winterburn
Huddersfield Town v Wigan Athletic - Gary Taphouse & Tony Dorigo
Old 17-02-2013, 12:53
The Difference
Forum Member

Nice to see Sam Matterface doing a big itv1 game. I caught a few minutes of one of this ACoN commentaries and thought he had greatly improved since I'd last heard him on tv.

He must have listened when I tweeted him saying something along the lines of 'when you're on tv there's no need to talk non stop, sometimes you can let the pictures do the talking, you're a great commentator, I love you on talkSPORT, don't spoil things'

Still needs more improvement but doing great today, he's definitely heading in the right direction.
Agreed - I thought he had a very strong tournament at the Africa Cup of Nations and based on that I think he deserves his chance to commentate on a game for ITV. He's having a good game so far. Nice to see Matt Smith in the presenting chair for a live ITV game for the second time this week too.
Old 17-02-2013, 13:14
Jason C
Forum Member

This is the first time I've ever heard a commentary from Sam Matterface - so much so, in fact, that when I switched it on I wondered why Bill Leslie was commentating on ITV.
Old 17-02-2013, 13:38
CapricaChris
Forum Member

Enjoying Sam on ITV.

Notably, he's married (I think) to lovely Natalie Sawyer from Sky Sports....and she's a massive Brentford fan.

Closed Thread