Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

i think Game are in trouble again

Old 14-02-2013, 14:25
gdjman68wasdigi
Forum Member

went into my local branch today, i wont say which one.

anyway, for Game they are pretty good, helpful etc.

anyway March 9th, they are getting closed and werent told why?

hmm
gdjman68wasdigi is online now   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 14-02-2013, 14:27
darkthunder35
Forum Member

Any store that makes less than 100,000 profit gets closed.

The whole company made 20,000,000 profit since administration.
darkthunder35 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 14:28
WoodsMonk
Forum Member

Hmmm What happened to:

Game, you are a disgrace and i wont be going back in
WoodsMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 14:40
redhatmatt
Inactive Member

The whole company made 20,000,000 profit since administration.
Surely profit is profit why close profitable stores.
redhatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 14:46
gdjman68wasdigi
Forum Member

Hmmm What happened to:

that was a different store
Old 14-02-2013, 14:46
starsailor
Forum Member

Surely profit is profit why close profitable stores.
Closing profitable stores make sense if a higher return on investment can funded by the capital used in them elsewhere.

If you've got a store making 5% return, but could start a store making 10% return then you close the 5% store (assuming you have limited capital).
starsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 14:54
RealDonkey
Forum Member

went into my local branch today, i wont say which one.

anyway, for Game they are pretty good, helpful etc.

anyway March 9th, they are getting closed and werent told why?

hmm
Could be something as simple as a rent increase. Shop units are usually rented on fixed term leases and when they expire teh Landlord offers a renewal, often at an inflated price. Strangely as times have got hard rents have increased by huge amounts. When you take this into account it can turn a profitable shop into an unprofitable one
RealDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 17:23
bob2005
Forum Member

Game won't last long they will eventually go the same way as HMV and Blockbuster. The Internet has destroyed the high street.
bob2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:41
Aspartame
Forum Member

We can only hope. I dislike Game's business practices with their retailer exclusives and forcing several publishers' games not to appear on Steam for months after launch.
Aspartame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:46
thomas2400
Forum Member

We can only hope. I dislike Game's business practices with their retailer exclusives and forcing several publishers' games not to appear on Steam for months after launch.
You want people to lose their jobs? and doesn't every retailer try to get exclusives, that why they get more customers
thomas2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:48
darkjedimaster
Forum Member

Game won't last long they will eventually go the same way as HMV and Blockbuster. The Internet has destroyed the high street.
In this financial age customers are going to go wherever it is cheapest. If Game think they can sell used games for about 5 less than you can get them new, then they have another thing coming. Even CEX stores which also have overheads to pay, sell used games cheaper than what Game does. Game only have themselves to blame for their downfall due to greed.
darkjedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 15:28
Ladyxxmacbeth
Forum Member

I went into my local game and there were quite a few people in there I had to queue. Got Army of Two 40th day for a tenner not bad really. couldnt find it cheaper other than ebay and that is hit or miss in my opinion could well still be waiting for it when the new one comes out. My other local second hand games cd films shop were selling their games at rip off prices. Terrible they were!
Ladyxxmacbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 16:47
thomas2400
Forum Member

In this financial age customers are going to go wherever it is cheapest. If Game think they can sell used games for about 5 less than you can get them new, then they have another thing coming. Even CEX stores which also have overheads to pay, sell used games cheaper than what Game does. Game only have themselves to blame for their downfall due to greed.
They are still bad on some preowned games though, it just depends what you are looking for

I was in CeX the other day and some guy was with his girlfriend and he wanted Fifa and the only reason he came in was because game was shut

He asked if the Fifa 13 that they had was preowned and the cashier said yes and didn't mention the need for an online pass before i could jump in and tell him that the 33 that he was paying was a ripoff he was already paying for it

I felt really bad when i over heard him saying how much he was looking forward to playing his mates online
thomas2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 06:36
Seoulite
Forum Member

I would say the High Street has killed the High Street.

Poor marketing, uncompetitive pricing, poor service, numerous rip-off schemes (extended warranties, even disc warranties!), poor ranges (especially for PC) plus poor decision making (after the Game / Gamestation merger there were far too many shops - for example there were 4 in Liverpool City Centre, all within a 5 minute walk.

This isn't even mentioning their schizophrenic reaction to the used market - every time I went into HMV or GAME I could find find several games were the a used copy was even more expensive than the already over-priced new copy.

Funny how people keep saying retail is dead and yet CEX is booming and Grainger Games are still expanding - as was Gamestation before the merger. People are not as willing to be taken advantage of like they were before and they're are far more willing to wait for used copies or for games to be discounted.

With retail, Ii's all about positioning yourself best in the market, GAME, HMV, WH Smith (remember their games section - truly awful) showed complete indifference to market trends and were all about exploiting their customer base - it appears HMV's gaming section believed it was in some kind of bubble where they didn't even have to consider their competitor's pricing.

Ultimately retail will survive, albeit on a smaller scale than before as there will always be some demand for the physical product - especially the used market, physical hardware and collector's editions.
Seoulite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 08:11
gdjman68wasdigi
Forum Member

They are still bad on some preowned games though, it just depends what you are looking for

I was in CeX the other day and some guy was with his girlfriend and he wanted Fifa and the only reason he came in was because game was shut

He asked if the Fifa 13 that they had was preowned and the cashier said yes and didn't mention the need for an online pass before i could jump in and tell him that the 33 that he was paying was a ripoff he was already paying for it

I felt really bad when i over heard him saying how much he was looking forward to playing his mates online

thats his own fault for being tight-fisted, its only 30-something in ASDA
Old 16-02-2013, 11:41
Caltonfan
Forum Member

was in game yesterday looking at the hitman hd trilogy, it was 24.99, on Amazon its 19.99 and on Shopto it is 15.85, why would anyone pay almost 10 more in shop when can get it cheaper online
Caltonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 12:45
bob2005
Forum Member

Thats part of the problem Game just can't get the pricing right. I don't even buy from game anymore when you can order online for half the price.
bob2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 12:51
gdjman68wasdigi
Forum Member

i think its down to Tesco putting the rent up, who own the land
Old 19-02-2013, 19:55
Jason Perlow
Inactive Member

How do you know that? Is it the law?
Jason Perlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 19:55
Ambassador
Forum Member

More likely the business plan of the new owners. Cut the fat.
Ambassador is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 20:01
Jason Perlow
Inactive Member

More likely the business plan of the new owners. Cut the fat.
What if it was just 1 under the target profit?
Jason Perlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 11:04
Ambassador
Forum Member

What if it was just 1 under the target profit?
They'd still do it. Every penny literally counts!
Ambassador is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 11:08
darkthunder35
Forum Member

I work for GAME so I know loads of stuff
darkthunder35 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote