Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Horse Meat Found in Cottage Pies sent to Schools

Old 15-02-2013, 13:49
occy
Forum Member

47 Schools in Lancashire have found horse meat in certain foods like Cottage Pies and Lasagne's

Iceland are also worried about this scandal, even Tesco have tested some foods with no contamination has been found in 150 products.
occy is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-02-2013, 14:15
Iphigenia
Forum Member

I can't get any more outraged about horsemeat going to schools than to anywhere else but on the other hand, I'm fairly outraged about the whole thing.
Iphigenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:15
jmclaugh
Forum Member

"What's for supper tonight dear?" "I've no idea, it could be a showjumper, a steeplechaser or even a Suffolk Punch".
jmclaugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:16
exlordlucan
Forum Member

Are they Riding Schools?
exlordlucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:19
A321
Forum Member

It's so last week.
A321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:24
VOICEINTHENIGHT
Forum Member

I wonder if they are testing for dog. I keep getting posts on FB from an animal rights activist (friend) she gets info from contacts in the far East, and Eastern Europe, some of the photos are so bad I hide them so my children don't see them infact I don't like looking at them.

I'm not suggesting we have got Dog being imported into Britain but ??? is it now a possibility?http://www.petloverscompanion.com/in...dog-meat-trade

VOICEINTHENIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:25
spookyLX
Forum Member

apparently whitbread pub chain have found horsemeat in their food stocks as well and according to the BBC Iceland beef products have tested clear
spookyLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:27
BastardBeaver
Forum Member

I blame Jamie Oliver.
BastardBeaver is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 16:46
Orangemaid
Forum Member

im having homemade cottage pie for me tea..
Orangemaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 16:46
walterwhite
Forum Member

I blame Jamie Oliver.
Yes, it's obvious he's to blame.
walterwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 19:35
occy
Forum Member

I can never remember- "Cottage pie made with beef or lamb"?

If you didn't know then no harm done. It is meat, but wrongly packaged.
occy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 19:41
Cryolemon
Forum Member

If you didn't know then no harm done. It is meat, but wrongly packaged.
Cottage pie is (usually...) beef.

Anyhow, as I've said before, I'm not all that bothered by this "scandal".

It's not a public health issue, and given that the majority of tests for Bute were negative, and those that were positive were in non-harmful amounts, it's unlikely to become one.
Cryolemon is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 19:49
Keiō Line
Forum Member

Cottage pie is (usually...) beef.

Anyhow, as I've said before, I'm not all that bothered by this "scandal".

It's not a public health issue, and given that the majority of tests for Bute were negative, and those that were positive were in non-harmful amounts, it's unlikely to become one.
Still a public health issue though.
Keiō Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 19:51
sweh
Forum Member

Man, whatever.

I'm not going to start caring all of a sudden because a school in Lancashire had horse meat.
sweh is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 19:59
Keiō Line
Forum Member

Man, whatever.

I'm not going to start caring all of a sudden because a school in Lancashire had horse meat.
Was someone trying to get you to care "all of a sudden".
Keiō Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 20:00
sweh
Forum Member

Was someone trying to get you to care "all of a sudden".
Of course.
sweh is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 20:04
Takae
Forum Member

Had this hammered into my head by a school friend:

Cottage pie = beef
Shepherd's pie = lamb

But the truth is, it's interchangeable.
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 20:54
The Wizard
Forum Member

I really don't know what all the fuss is about. AFAIK no tests have come back with traces of the bute drug and the minister has gone on the record as saying even if humans did consume it, they would have to consume an absolute shed load of it before it would become hazardous to their health.

Basically the only problem here seems to be that horsemeat is being passed off as beef and not whether it's actually unsafe. From tests so far it would appear that the meat is perfectly safe to eat. Given the choice I would not have a problem eating horse but the problem is, people are so fussy that if supermarkets started selling (safe) horsemeat in products and labelling it as such then the British public wont eat it because they have this stigma about eating horse. Yet stick it in a cottage pie, don't tell em and they'll happily scoff it all down. People are way too fussy and make such issues and turn their noses up at anything yet they'll eat it providing they don't know any better. Probably the same people that throw stuff away the minute it goes past it's sell by date or has a tiny bit of mould on it yet cut the mould off and give it them they wouldn't know any different.

Gawd knows what half of you lot would do if we ever hit world war 3 and we had to live off offal and other forms of meat or even live off game or revert to preparing our own meat. I think half of you would starve.
The Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 20:54
bspace
Forum Member

okay so

cottage pie = beef
shepherd's = lamb
fisherman's pie = fish
cowboy's pie? / ranch pie? = horse

these marketing bods are really missing an opportunity,
with the right approach they could be making hay
bspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 21:09
Welsh-lad
Forum Member

O god this trickle is going to go on and on isn't it.

Couldn't they just give an all-puropse satement along the lines of:

"At any time during the next six weeks a number of schools and/or councils and/or hospitals and/or care-homes and/or day centres and/or prisons will discover that they have been serving horsemeat for public consumption at any and/or some of the aforementioned places"

Then shut up about it!
Welsh-lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 23:30
Gordie1
Forum Member

I'm just waiting on the inevitable "Human DNA found in meat at British factory"
Gordie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 23:34
Iphigenia
Forum Member

I'm just waiting on the inevitable "Human DNA found in meat at British factory"
That and the post above about dogs. Seriously, there could be anything in there, and that's what worries me.
Iphigenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 23:48
Mrs Teapot
Forum Member

I really don't know what all the fuss is about. AFAIK no tests have come back with traces of the bute drug and the minister has gone on the record as saying even if humans did consume it, they would have to consume an absolute shed load of it before it would become hazardous to their health.

Basically the only problem here seems to be that horsemeat is being passed off as beef and not whether it's actually unsafe. From tests so far it would appear that the meat is perfectly safe to eat. Given the choice I would not have a problem eating horse but the problem is, people are so fussy that if supermarkets started selling (safe) horsemeat in products and labelling it as such then the British public wont eat it because they have this stigma about eating horse. Yet stick it in a cottage pie, don't tell em and they'll happily scoff it all down. People are way too fussy and make such issues and turn their noses up at anything yet they'll eat it providing they don't know any better. Probably the same people that throw stuff away the minute it goes past it's sell by date or has a tiny bit of mould on it yet cut the mould off and give it them they wouldn't know any different.

Gawd knows what half of you lot would do if we ever hit world war 3 and we had to live off offal and other forms of meat or even live off game or revert to preparing our own meat. I think half of you would starve.
Whilst I see your points I don't agree with them if that makes sense.

I have, at times, recalled stories of how the Russians virtually starved in the past War, I think WW2 and they at times boiled anything in water to create a flavour as a substitute for the lack of food, what a dire situation but....

This is a fraud, there will no doubt be people within this fraud making money and sitting back laughing, that is wrong. That is not people 'making do' that is people ripping people and other industries/business off and getting away with it. They are taking the piss to put it bluntly.

If we sit back and say that it does not matter then we make way for others to do the same or even worse. We are not on rationing, we are not in a war situation, we are in a consumer world in which companies are out to make money and profits. Let us have what we pay for and don't anyone tell me that it is just the lower priced stuff that this effects, I've not believed that for one minute and await the full scale reveals
Mrs Teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 23:52
Teddybleads
Forum Member

Until they find it in Cornetto, then I'll worry.
Teddybleads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 23:58
Soundbox
Forum Member

What I want to know is why in such a huge business as meat has no-one here in the UK who distributes the stuff never gone and looked at exactly where it comes from?

Having worked in the safety business everything had to be accountable so why is it not here?

Did no-one from the supermarkets ever go and look at the animals they were serving us?

We need some 'men from Del-Monte' types whos wages will be nothing compared to the saving on all this rigmarole.
Soundbox is offline   Reply With Quote