Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Meteorite in Russia: No warning given

Old 15-02-2013, 21:05
kolakoala
Forum Member

It just goes to show how vulnerable earth is.
kolakoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-02-2013, 21:08
skipjack79
Inactive Member

We are aware of the biggies, and are keeping track of them to the extent we can predict their rough trajectories decades in advance. However the tiny ones such as the Russian impact we can't predict as of yet.
skipjack79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 21:10
kolakoala
Forum Member

We are aware of the biggies, and are keeping track of them to the extent we can predict their rough trajectories decades in advance. However the tiny ones such as the Russian impact we can't predict as of yet.
Imagine the damage if hundreds of small ones fell. It could be catastrophic. I am scaring myself now
Old 15-02-2013, 21:10
teresagreen
Forum Member

Scary isn't it?
teresagreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 21:15
skipjack79
Inactive Member

Just remember that you're more likely to be hit by lightening on your birthday, and then again on your next birthday, and possibly the birthday after that, than being hit by a meteorite. Most get burned up in the atmosphere. The really dangerous ones that could wipe out life are out there, but hopefully by the time we realise an extinction level impact is unavoidable, we'll have some kind of plan

If no survival plan was in place, then my personal plan would be to settle some scores before the big day
skipjack79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 21:20
smokeybacon
Forum Member

Just remember that you're more likely to be hit by lightening on your birthday, and then again on your next birthday, and possibly the birthday after that, than being hit by a meteorite. Most get burned up in the atmosphere. The really dangerous ones that could wipe out life are out there, but hopefully by the time we realise an extinction level impact is unavoidable, we'll have some kind of plan

If no survival plan was in place, then my personal plan would be to settle some scores before the big day
Looks like a survival plan is quite a way off yet so you might get your wish

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...eteor-15104678
smokeybacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 21:21
Bibidybobidyboo
Forum Member

I love this post
Bibidybobidyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
TelevisionUser
Forum Member

Here's one I prepared earlier plus a link or two:
http://www.spaceguarduk.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaceguard
http://impact.arc.nasa.gov/downloads/spacesurvey.pdf

There are plenty of legitimate, virus-free videos out there (see http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?comple...w=1024&bih=579). What this incident does mean is that funding should be maintained for all those projects that map asteroids' orbits and that look for asteroids that might conceivable pose a future danger to Earth.
TelevisionUser is offline   Reply With Quote
THEONEFROMHERE
Forum Member

And one in Cuba http://rt.com/news/line/2013-02-15/#id45233
THEONEFROMHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 21:27
gemma-the-husky
Forum Member

a tiny rock about the size of a car, i should think.

how can you track those.

maybe a fragment broke off the big one that passed today.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 21:40
paulsh1
Forum Member

Maybe we take some Hollywood movies as gospel,and expect Bruce Willis or the one from Spiderman to save us.
paulsh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 21:48
lemoncurd
Forum Member

Realistically, if any large meteor is heading earthwards, there's not much planning could be done other than try and evacuate as much as possible around the predicted impact zone.
As history teaches us, there's no point trying to defeat nature. It'll happen whatever.
lemoncurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 21:50
kolakoala
Forum Member

Realistically, if any large meteor is heading earthwards, there's not much planning could be done other than try and evacuate as much as possible around the predicted impact zone.
As history teaches us, there's no point trying to defeat nature. It'll happen whatever.
And if it fell into sea imagine the tidal wave.
Old 15-02-2013, 21:51
Susan_A1951
Forum Member

I watched the live NASA thread at 7pm tonight for half an hour - and what a farce it was! Mostly a media woman thanking people in different observatories for their input. No real live updates - and had the feeling that no one there had any idea of what was happening.

Seems that asteroid alerts are largely in the hands of amateur astronomers. Makes you wonder what the annual NASA budget is.
Susan_A1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 22:04
lemoncurd
Forum Member

Makes you wonder what the annual NASA budget is.
Very little these days.
Thought I think the JPL/Caltech does get it's fair share of research grants from the US Govt.
lemoncurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 22:07
phylo_roadking
Forum Member

Neither of them have the responsibility for monitoring near-Earth objects, that's in the purview of U.S Space Command http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Space_Command
phylo_roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 22:18
cmq2
Forum Member

There is a protocol for reporting asteroids to NASA through the Minor Planets Centre. This Horizon episode was on TV again just before Xmas showing the detection of a 2008 asteroid airburst in Sudan and the famous one from 1908 in Siberia: http://youtu.be/Ake18DGolg0?t=46m10s
cmq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 22:39
gold2040
Forum Member

Very little these days.
Thought I think the JPL/Caltech does get it's fair share of research grants from the US Govt.
Some 17 billion dollars

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/622643main_F...esentation.pdf
gold2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 00:58
KJ44
Forum Member

== $54 per person per annum

US defense budget 2013 $716 billion.
KJ44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 01:00
jenzie
Forum Member

we're a pebble in an ocean .....
jenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 01:05
GeoBa92
Forum Member

They probably thought it would burn up in the atmosphere and end up the size of a chihuahua's head.
GeoBa92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 01:07
potatolegs
Forum Member

I think an asteroid becomes a meteor when a bit breaks off which becomes a meteorite if it hits our atmosphere?
So, what's a comet?
potatolegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 01:10
kolakoala
Forum Member

I think an asteroid becomes a meteor when a bit breaks off which becomes a meteorite if it hits our atmosphere?
So, what's a comet?
A Comet used to be a shop where I live
Old 16-02-2013, 01:14
KarlSomething
Forum Member

We were only aware of the several times larger 2012 DA14 since 2012. If that one was going to hit us, we wouldn't have been able to do anything about it.

We still need to ramp up our ability to find these things.
KarlSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 01:16
woodbush
Forum Member

a tiny rock about the size of a car, i should think.

how can you track those.

maybe a fragment broke off the big one that passed today.
It wasn't, it was travelling in a different direction.

It was to small to be detected, thousands of meteors hit our atmosphere every year and burn up. Very few land.
woodbush is online now   Reply With Quote