Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Car finance, ended relationship help

Old 16-02-2013, 03:35
Stiggles
Forum Member

Hi all,

Just found out tonight that my sisters boyfriend has just been cheating on her and she's left

They have to tie up lose ends obviously with the mortgage they had and a car they had on finance. Now the mortgage she's unsure how she's going to get out of but i think she can but, what she's stumped on is the situation with the car.

He couldn't get finance so she took it out for him so she pays it. But the car is registered to him through the DVLA. Does anyone know who has the rights legally to the car in this case?

Any advice on the mortgage situation would be fab as well!

Thanks

EDIT:- Just realised this should be in advice
Stiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-02-2013, 03:42
Nilrem
Forum Member

The registered keeper is not the owner (in fact the V5 states it), so the important thing is who bought it.
If the finance is in her name, and she's the one who has been making payments, the car is hers (basically if she's got the receipt in her name it should be fairly clear cut).

Remember whenever you have a lease car you will likely be the RK, but the car is still owned by the lease company l)

The problem might be in getting it off him,

The mortgage will likely be a tougher problem, as if it's a joint mortgage one party will likely have to buy out the other and get a new mortgage, or they might have to sell the house and split any remaining profits or debts between them.

I am not a lawyer though.
Nilrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 03:46
Aneechik
Forum Member

It doesn't matter who the car is registered to, the person who the credit agreement was made with is the one who owns it (and has to pay for it).
Aneechik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 03:49
Stiggles
Forum Member

That's what i thought

The mortgage, they only took it out in june so not much has been paid to it. I've advised her to go and see the bank they took it out with to see what she can do.

Thanks for the advice
Stiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 04:07
Si_Crewe
Forum Member

Surely if the car has been purchased on finance, the finance company owns it until it's paid for?
Si_Crewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 08:35
housegirl
Forum Member

Hi all,

Just found out tonight that my sisters boyfriend has just been cheating on her and she's left

They have to tie up lose ends obviously with the mortgage they had and a car they had on finance. Now the mortgage she's unsure how she's going to get out of but i think she can but, what she's stumped on is the situation with the car.

He couldn't get finance so she took it out for him so she pays it. But the car is registered to him through the DVLA. Does anyone know who has the rights legally to the car in this case?

Any advice on the mortgage situation would be fab as well!

Thanks

EDIT:- Just realised this should be in advice
Tell her to go to her local CAB they will give her free advice
housegirl is offline   Reply With Quote