Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Driver Awareness Course Norfolk

Old 16-02-2013, 18:32
TheVoid
Forum Member

Hi all, following an accident, I have been offered to go on a driver awareness course. Anyone else done one under Norfolk council?

It says in the letter that you have to meet an acceptable level of standard - I presume you have to be half asleep to not meet this?!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
TheVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-02-2013, 18:34
Mumof3
Forum Member

Is that the same as speed awareness course? I did a session at the UEA Sportspark a couple of years ago
Mumof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 18:38
TheVoid
Forum Member

Is that the same as speed awareness course? I did a session at the UEA Sportspark a couple of years ago
No it's similar I guess, but it's no the speed one.
Old 16-02-2013, 19:29
TheVoid
Forum Member

It's actually called 'Driver alertness' - you have a practical part too, anyone know what this consists of and what you have to do?
Old 16-02-2013, 20:05
Pearl McG
Forum Member

My cousin did the all day one in Norwich after having (causing?) an accident.
The morning was like the speed awareness course, then in the afternoon they went out driving with an instructor. She found it very helpful.
Pearl McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 20:22
TheVoid
Forum Member

My cousin did the all day one in Norwich after having (causing?) an accident.
The morning was like the speed awareness course, then in the afternoon they went out driving with an instructor. She found it very helpful.
Oh really? I'm worried you can fail it somehow though?
Old 17-02-2013, 03:05
Pearl McG
Forum Member

I'll have to check with her.
She was glad she did it as she hadn't realised how many bad habits she'd picked up after 20 years driving!
Pearl McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 08:16
Hut27
Forum Member

Oh really? I'm worried you can fail it somehow though?
My neighbour went on one in Norwich a week ago, said it was good and he learnt from it. Don't be late as you fail straightaway. If you don't pass after course according to my neighbour you shouldn't be driving anyway.
Hut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 10:08
dmp
Forum Member

I went on one a few years ago but it was a two day course, and yes one old gentleman did fail as he had no interest in the course and was told not to attend the second day, his details were passed back to the police as having failed the course. The first day was theory and watching films and the practicle was day 2 where we had to give a drive. Not a bad course all in all.
Dave
dmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 12:39
Hotgossip
Forum Member

Hi all, following an accident, I have been offered to go on a driver awareness course. Anyone else done one under Norfolk council?

It says in the letter that you have to meet an acceptable level of standard - I presume you have to be half asleep to not meet this?!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Were you half asleep when you caused the accident? Just wondering
Hotgossip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 17:58
TheVoid
Forum Member

My neighbour went on one in Norwich a week ago, said it was good and he learnt from it. Don't be late as you fail straightaway. If you don't pass after course according to my neighbour you shouldn't be driving anyway.
Ah ok, so it's a pretty simple course then right?

No tests or anything?
Old 17-02-2013, 22:17
lozenger
Forum Member

I have just been on a safety awareness course 2 days ago after I got a speeding ticket on a dual carriageway which I thought was 40 mph speed limit (it was 30)

It was a very good course - you can't actually fail unless you dont turn up or skip out after the break. They are employed as a service provider by the police - the first thing they did was to say they weren't there to tell you off etc... They dont do practical (out on roads) any more due to cutbacks, all classroom based.

I actually really enjoyed it - and learnt a lot - certainly won't be making a speeding mistake again!
lozenger is offline   Reply With Quote