Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Her Majesty's Prison:Aylesbury

Old 18-02-2013, 21:28
yorkiegal
Forum Member

grr i hate when they try to seperate mentally ill and mentally disordered.
yorkiegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
alcockell
Forum Member

Well, it obviously wasn't a plasma telly
LCD/OLED tellies are probably a lot easier to protect via stuff like Plexiglas screens etc...
alcockell is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
linnylou
Forum Member

This may seem obvious but isn't it a bit silly to put all of these young men of similar ages in the same wing?? Its a recipe for disaster.
it they had a mixed age range their would be more control from the older prisoners
They're aged between 17 - 21. I don't think mixing them up would make any difference.
linnylou is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:29
Phyllis Stein
Forum Member

Is there a difference?
Phyllis Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
SallyArmy
Forum Member

More like a word from Grouty
....or Crusher!
SallyArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Bluray
Inactive Member

this sort of stuff is a daily occurance though in a prison like this. Do you think they are just playing up for the cameras, these guys are some of the worst criminals in the world and they are all housed in one prison, what do you expect!
Yes it is a daily occurrence but so is officers doing the cleaning order and lads just sat talking. But like I said.....that's not exciting viewing so what do you think they're going to show more of?
Bluray is offline   Reply With Quote
dezire
Forum Member

I imagine we are being shown the most extreme cases here. This is like a young offenders institute and not an adult prison. The only grown ups here are the screws!
dezire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:30
LW09

I'm not really sure what to make of it so far. The focus all seems to be right on the negatives. A prison simply wouldn't be allowed to run the way this is portrayed to be.

The Strangeways documentary on last year or the year before was much better and more balanced. It also had David Charlton .
LW09 is offline   Reply With Quote
wordfromthewise
Forum Member

............that is significant coming from such an authority on the subject such as yourself.NOT
wordfromthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
demfe
Forum Member

where's Vera Bennett when you need her?
demfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:31
extraextra
Forum Member

Depressing viewing, I'd say bring back National Service these guys are Bored with a capital B, that or get the army to run the service?
extraextra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:31
chloeb
Forum Member

Yes it is a daily occurrence but so is officers doing the cleaning order and lads just sat talking. But like I said.....that's not exciting viewing so what do you think they're going to show more of?
Exactly
chloeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:32
yorkiegal
Forum Member

Is there a difference?
there is if you're a psychiatrist. Mentally ill equals not the patients fault. Mentally disordered aka personality disordered is often seen as untreatable and the person seen as acting out, when in reality they often have as little control over their actions as someone with bi polar or schizophrenia. Also mentally disordered people quite often have a mental illness alongside their disorder.
It's essentially someone who's ways of thinking and comprehending has been skewed in childhood and it affects how they react to stressful events. He probably thinks only in the now.
Hound of Love
Forum Member

Or Joan Ferguson!
Hound of Love is offline   Reply With Quote
dezire
Forum Member

most prisoners just put their heads down and get on with it.. .here we are being shown very extreme cases for TV ratings.
Old 18-02-2013, 21:33
Libitina
Forum Member

Caspean knows how to play the system. Or he likes to think he does.

Thing is, the other prisoners won't like the loss of association, or missing their meds. He'll need to watch his back.
Libitina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:33
SophiaK70
Forum Member

officer harper can be my officor anyday
SophiaK70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:34
yorkiegal
Forum Member

............that is significant coming from such an authority on the subject such as yourself.NOT

wow
wordfromthewise
Forum Member

there is if you're a psychiatrist. Mentally ill equals not the patients fault. Mentally disordered aka personality disordered is often seen as untreatable and the person seen as acting out, when in reality they often have as little control over their actions as someone with bi polar or schizophrenia. Also mentally disordered people quite often have a mental illness alongside their disorder.
It's essentially someone who's ways of thinking and comprehending has been skewed in childhood and it affects how they react to stressful events. He probably thinks only in the now.
So what is it that you hate about the definition? You said you hate it when they seperate it......why is that a bad thing?
wordfromthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
demfe
Forum Member

Mrs Davidson would sort this lot out....
demfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:35
linnylou
Forum Member

I'm not really sure what to make of it so far. The focus all seems to be right on the negatives. A prison simply wouldn't be allowed to run the way this is portrayed to be.

The Strangeways documentary on last year or the year before was much better and more balanced. It also had David Charlton .
I watched a programme last week about prison gangs inside one of California's supermax prisons. Even the new inmate there knew not to kick off straight away.

Ol' Vinegar Tits?
linnylou is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:37
Phyllis Stein
Forum Member

Interesting stuff, thanks yorkie. Seems that it would be more beneficial to be labelled as 'mentally ill' then in terms of how you're dealt with by the authorities.
Phyllis Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:39
dezire
Forum Member

these are teens and barely adults. Show us a proper adult prison!
Old 18-02-2013, 21:39
yorkiegal
Forum Member

So what is it that you hate about the definition? You said you hate it when they seperate it......why is that a bad thing?
It's simply that from personal experience, it makes the difference between getting help or not.

Of course he might just be having them on. I just felt she was dismissive of him and that triggered me a bit.

Having said that she does now seem to be talking to him again so hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 18-02-2013, 21:40
fizzle90
Forum Member

Why the need to be so rude? yorkiegal has rather an extensive knowledge of mental health.
fizzle90 is offline   Reply With Quote