Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Using Facetime and charges

Old 19-02-2013, 11:38
satman17
Forum Member

Just made a small facetime call to a friend using 3G to her iphone which she would be using her wifi network just wondered if she was to call me using her wifi network would i be charged ?
satman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-02-2013, 11:42
IslandNiles
Forum Member

I don't think it matters who initiates the call. It isn't like a telephone call in that respect. Your device will still be sending and receiving data, so you'll either be charged for the data you use, or it'll come out of your data allowance.
IslandNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 11:53
satman17
Forum Member

thats what i thought unless we both use wifi?
satman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 12:02
IslandNiles
Forum Member

If you both use wifi you're sorted!
IslandNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 16:50
stephen122333
Forum Member

I use FaceTime to talk to one of my friends, not so we can see each other but to avoid call charges. Most of the time we call at the same time each week why we are both at our homes with wifi
stephen122333 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 17:18
The Lord Lucan
Forum Member

Both use data. As long as you both use wifi it will not cost you anything on your Phone.
The Lord Lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 11:25
hairyharry
Forum Member

wow, something i didnt know and very interesting. i always assumed that people were charged for it by the provider. I mean why doent we all just make facetime calls all the time when we are at home so we dont use our minutes? what's the sound quality like?
hairyharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 19:32
whoever,hey
Forum Member

wow, something i didnt know and very interesting. i always assumed that people were charged for it by the provider. I mean why doent we all just make facetime calls all the time when we are at home so we dont use our minutes? what's the sound quality like?
The sound quality is exactly the same as a phone call.
whoever,hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 03:21
c4rv
Forum Member

because not everyone has an apple device.

Skype, vibre and all the other VoIP providers only use data and if you are on wifi or within your mobile data allowance they don't cost anything. The VoIP providers make their money when you make a call from their software to a normal landline/mobile phone. However this can still be cheap, especially from abroad as most VoIP providers have local break out points so effectively you are making a local call, even from abroad.
c4rv is offline   Reply With Quote