Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

If you fell or got thrown overboard, how well would you be able to cope?

Old 19-02-2013, 20:07
Jason Perlow
Inactive Member

If you either fell or got thrown overboard from a ship, how well do you reckon that you would be able to cope and be a good enough swimmer until some sort of help arrives, for example another ship going past?
Jason Perlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-02-2013, 20:09
stvn758
Forum Member

Having been on a ferry I have to say the sea is damn scary and can see how people can be swallowed up by it even if they can swim quite well.
stvn758 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 20:14
JonDoe
Forum Member

Depends entirely on what sea it was and whether it was a busy enough shipping lane.

If it was the English channel, I reckon I could swim to the closest shore, considering I couldn't be much more than ten miles away from one of them.
JonDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 20:16
HaloJoe
Forum Member

All depends on weather.
HaloJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 20:17
ejm
Forum Member

I would drown. I don't like deep water and get palpitations if the bath is too deep, so I wouldn't cope at all.
ejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 20:18
SpamJavelin
Inactive Member

The overwhelming majority of people wouldn't cope, and would die rather quickly. Ships don't turn round and go back for anybody who's gone overboard, and in the vast majority of cases if anybody goes overboard it would be where it's much, much, much too far to swim to dry land. Even if you fell overboard in the middle of the English channel, unless you were a suitably prepared, well-trained endurance swimmer with a rescue team close by every step of the way you'd be dead within minutes.

Sorry to urinate on anybody's chips and all that, but that's the way it is.
SpamJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 20:22
SeasideLady
Forum Member

I would be terrified - always had a fear of deep water even though I can swim. Love to go snorkelling in clear coves where you can see the seabed beneath, but daren't go too far into the murky depths.
SeasideLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 20:23
Si_Crewe
Forum Member

Given that you'd probably go into shock after about 2 minutes in anything except a tropical sea, you wouldn't have to worry about being a strong swimmer.
Si_Crewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 20:23
el_bardos
Forum Member

Even ships going past wouldn't necessarily spot you, a person in the ocean is tiny and easily missed (rescue teams can spend hours looking for someone even when they have a good idea where they are). If it's at night, you're really screwed.

As for swimming to shore, you still need to keep your head enough to know what direction to go - the horizon is only about 5km when you're standing, so less when your head is nearly at sea level. And it's very easy to get turned around without any features on the landscape to guide you even if you start out heading the right way. If it's cloudy so you can't get an idea from sun/stars.... doesn't really bare thinking about.
el_bardos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 20:34
MiaBird
Forum Member

I would swim.
MiaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 20:36
Paradise_Lost
Forum Member

Wouldn't fancy my chances in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-HaTWIznGE
Paradise_Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 20:48
SilvioDante
Inactive Member

I'd throw you a concrete lifebelt OP
SilvioDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 20:51
Lulz77
Forum Member

Depends if its been at least an hour since I'd last eaten.
Lulz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 20:53
vosne
Forum Member

Depends entirely on what sea it was and whether it was a busy enough shipping lane.

If it was the English channel, I reckon I could swim to the closest shore, considering I couldn't be much more than ten miles away from one of them.
Not unless you'd covered yourself in goose fat or wear a precautionary wet suit at all times when you travel you wouldn't
vosne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 20:58
vosne
Forum Member

That was ace. Last bit was mental.
Old 19-02-2013, 20:59
WinterFire
Forum Member

If you either fell or got thrown overboard from a ship, how well do you reckon that you would be able to cope and be a good enough swimmer until some sort of help arrives, for example another ship going past?
Depending on the water temperature and currents, I would hope that I'd be OK. Say, provided that the water temperature was 18 Celsius or more, and provided I was within eight kilometres or so of shore, I think I'd be able to make it. At say 13C, I might be in trouble even if I was only a kilometre or two from the shore.

Given that you'd probably go into shock after about 2 minutes in anything except a tropical sea, you wouldn't have to worry about being a strong swimmer.
My cold shock response is much reduced. I swam in 5C water without a wetsuit over the new year, and didn't experience any noticeable shock, e.g. no hyperventilation/gasping. I was definitely in there a bit more than two minutes, but not much longer. At that temperature, I would not be able to swim anywhere near a full kilometre. There are people I know who are much more resistant to the cold than me and who could swim much longer and further than me in even colder temperatures.

Edit: I looked up the Brighton sea temperature, and despite it being a temperate, not tropical, sea, the temperature is above 10C for much of the year. And over 15C for a bit of the year. At 15C or higher, even those not acclimatised should last a while before becoming hypothermic.
WinterFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 21:04
JonDoe
Forum Member

Not unless you'd covered yourself in goose fat or wear a precautionary wet suit at all times when you travel you wouldn't
I've surfed in a lot colder, for a lot longer than it'd take to swim ten miles but I did have a wet suit on, so perhaps I'm being a bit ambitious there.

You'd have to give it a go though.
JonDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 21:06
vosne
Forum Member

I've surfed in a lot colder, for a lot longer than it'd take to swim ten miles but I did have a wet suit on, so perhaps I'm being a bit ambitious there.

lol, well indeed
Old 19-02-2013, 21:07
WinterFire
Forum Member

I wonder how much distance you get doing a stroke like, say, elementary backstroke after hypothermia has weakened a swimmer to the point where they can't do anything else.
shhhhh
Inactive Member

Every time you come back you keep starting loads of threads.

WHY WHY WHY?????????????
shhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Takae
Forum Member

Depending on the water temperature and currents, I would hope that I'd be OK. Say, provided that the water temperature was 18 Celcius or more, and provided I was within eight kilometres or so of shore, I think I'd be able to make it. At say 13C, I might be in trouble even if I was only a kilometre or two from the shore.
I think the first and biggest issue would be get far away enough to avoid getting hit by one of the ship's propellers.
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 21:10
swaydog
Forum Member

The overwhelming majority of people wouldn't cope, and would die rather quickly. Ships don't turn round and go back for anybody who's gone overboard, and in the vast majority of cases if anybody goes overboard it would be where it's much, much, much too far to swim to dry land. Even if you fell overboard in the middle of the English channel, unless you were a suitably prepared, well-trained endurance swimmer with a rescue team close by every step of the way you'd be dead within minutes.

Sorry to urinate on anybody's chips and all that, but that's the way it is.
They do if they're aware of someone going overboard.

"P&O confirmed that the woman fell overboard on Friday evening, when a major search operation was immediately ordered, but it remained unclear last night why she had fallen."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2LNjWRoGa
swaydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 21:10
d0lphin
Forum Member

I would drown. I don't like deep water and get palpitations if the bath is too deep, so I wouldn't cope at all.
haha same as me. I also panic if I'm having a shower and I get water in my face. I prefer a shower with a detachable head or else I feel like I'm drowning
d0lphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 21:16
PunksNotDead
Forum Member

Probably eaten by a shark
PunksNotDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 21:16
WinterFire
Forum Member

haha same as me. I also panic if I'm having a shower and I get water in my face. I prefer a shower with a detachable head or else I feel like I'm drowning
Sorry if I'm following up your joking comment in an over-serious fashion, but people do drown due to panic. Sometimes in water shallow enough that if they had control of their senses, they could just stand up and walk out.